Brent Thompson Sad News- Mtbr.com
    i can't type the letter s

Brent Thompson Sad News

I just got word from the folks at All Mountain Cyclery that Brent Thompson has passed away. We were all hoping and praying he was recovering from his heart attack last month. Let's share our stories and experiences here about Brent and Bootleg and pray for his family.

not a forum admin
    this is sad. very sad

old broken downhiller
    WHAAAAAT???!!?? No way, B can't be dead.

Someone tell me this ain't true, please...
    Refusing to grow up since 1978...

old broken downhiller
    Ok I got the story from Krispy.

Sounds like B had another heart attack while out riding a few weeks back, then suffered a stroke and kidney failure post-surgery while trying to recover.

My Bootleg story is about fleeing Park City during the 02 Winter Games. As you might imagine, life in Park City was a little on the hectic side during this period, so my best friend Yo and I bugged out and stayed down at Brent's house the whole month, shuttling Bootleg every day, eating good food, going to strip clubs, and riding/hanging out with the constant parade of cool people that seemed to flow in and out of B's place. Brent's friendship and hospitalty were unequalled, he did'nt know me very well at the time, but he still welcomed me into his home like a good friend, and by the time I went back home, we were.
    That month stands out in my memory as one of the best I've spent anywhere with anybody.

Rest In Peace, Trailmaster B. We'll catch up with you at the end of the trail, man...

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I still haven't been to Bootleg, but I'm sure it won't be the same without him. R.I.P. Brent.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    I would just like to say thank you to Brent Thomson, he did so much for our sport.

In 1999 i stopped in Vegas overnight on the way back from California. I had heard about an amazing bike park just outside of town. After many phone calls i got a phone number of the trailbuilder. This peson told me to come to his place in Boulder City. This compete stranger loaded us up in his truck and took us to the Mecca. He drove us to the top of a dirt road and pointed at a footpath going skyward and drove off. We hiked up and descended Snakeback, at the time it was fresh and narrow. After an absolutely incredible 5 minute run on hand cut trail into solid rock we arrived back at his truck.This man drove us up 6 more times asking for nothing and offering up his remedies along the way.

Then he flipped me $h!t and told me to go home to my daddy when i said i had borrowed my dad's truck for the trip and needed to get it back to Salt Lake. It was not dark yet and he had zero tolerance for us leaving before sunset. "See you pussies later" he yelled at us as we drove off. I realized i was not living life to my full potential that day. I could have ridden til dark and got home at 4am.

Last weekend i had the pleasure of racing at Bootleg in the Mob n Mohave race. I had heard how bad his condition was and it sounded grim. Extremely grim.

Friday it was windy and cold. Nasty blowing freezing rain. The wind blew uphill and i rode horribly. I couldn't get over the obsticles with any flow and felt incredibly slow. BT was on my mind. Saturday morning I awoke to a perfect day in one of my favorite places in the world. A brilliant blue sky shone through the hotel window. Not a cloud in the sky. The sun felt warm even though it was hovering around freezing. All day i rode like a hero. Not one corner blown. No wind. Blasting sun in the middle of winter. I did 8 laps on the course. I caught the first shuttle, and the last only stopping for water and food. I never even felt tired.

That fabulous saturday i felt that BT's mind had left his body after a rough friday night. He was watching over us, under perfect conditions, the biggest race to ever come to Bootleg Canyon. He was sitting with a huge smile as the Athertons freight trained down his trails. I'm sure a big grin shown when the resurected slalom course was seeing action for the first time in years.

Here's to you Brent!!

Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

old broken downhiller
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Then he flipped me $h!t and told me to go home to my daddy when i said i had borrowed my dad's truck for the trip and needed to get it back to Salt Lake. It was not dark yet and he had zero tolerance for us leaving before sunset. "See you pussies later" he yelled at us as we drove off.
    LOL!! - that sounds like B all right.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    That fabulous saturday i felt that BT's mind had left his body after a rough friday night. He was watching over us, under perfect conditions, the biggest race to ever come to Bootleg Canyon. He was sitting with a huge smile as the Athertons freight trained down his trails. I'm sure a big grin shown when the resurected slalom course was seeing action for the first time in years.

Here's to you Brent!!

Krispy
    That is a great story Kris. I've got tears rollin' down my cheeks now, thinkin about all the blood, sweat, and tears B put into Bootleg, and how proud he must have felt to see a fantastic day like that come together. He was watchin' you guys for sure...

mtbr member
    That really sucks that he took a turn for the worse.

RIP

not a forum admin
    Brent Thomson R.I.P.
    Industry Legend Leaves - PayPal Donations Still Needed

Las Vegas, NV - February 18, 2009 - - Brent Thomson, Mountain Bike Industry Legend and Trail Master of Bootleg Canyon has lost his battle with complications from the Quadruple Bypass surgery he underwent in January.

While surgery went well and Brent was coherent and talking after recovery, a series of post-operative strokes took him back to the Intensive Care Unit where he eventually succumbed to complications from the surgery.

Brent’s son Barret was at his side with relatives as his condition worsened. “Brent appreciated and was aware of all of the love and support that the mountain bike industry has shown through this difficult time” said Barret. “There’s been an outpouring of emotion and support from all of his friends and the industry, and we’re making plans for a memorial event to be held at Bootleg Canyon over St. Patrick’s Day Weekend (March 14-15.)”

PayPal - Click Here to Donate, thanks…
    Please Continue to Support Brent Through PayPal Donations

Barret can still use financial support as there are many loose ends to tie up. Please continue to support the cause by donating to the paypal account listed above. Stay tuned for more information, and make plans to attend the memorial for Brent Thomson at Bootleg Canyon over the March 14-15th weekend.

Thanks Brent for all the good times. We’ll miss you and think of you when we are out on the trails. Peace.

source: Steve Boehmke

wait...what?
    Best wishes, Brent...

R.I.P.

mtbr member
    This weekend was the first time I had ever been to Bootleg Canyon, I kept thinking of what an amazing job he did with the trail system. I wish I could have met him, from what I have heard and read about him he is the kind of person that makes mountain biking such a special sport, going beyond competition, beyond technology, beyond riding, his passion and vision will hopefully continue to have an impact for years to come.

I want to say thank you to Brent,
    my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Alan
    ChannelMTB Producer and Director and full time bike dreamer.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    like you, id not met brent. unlike you, ive not been to bootleg to see the magic in his creations. like you all, i feel the love and respect for the man through yer words and i feel ive missed out gettin to know such a good and interestin man. this is a shame and reminds me why i have such a hard time understandin the concept of a early death involving good people.

rest up now brent. sounds like ya earned it.
    No, I'm NOT back!

I rot before I ripen
    Showers at Bootleg. Not only did Brent get the city to allow the trails, he got them to build showers and a veranda.

For me, that pretty much says it all.

damon

Edit: Added two pics. Notice the tip jar in the first pic. I always made sure to drop a twenty or two for each visit. The place is that incredible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by levee67; 02-22-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Downhill Spokesmodel

Brent is the MAN!!

I remember the first time I rolled into Bootleg with the Short Bus and a group of friends from Phoenix for our first race there in spring 2000.
    Brent was the first to come up to the bus even before we had stopped and disembarked.
    I remember him welcoming us and asking where we came from and how we had heard about Bootleg.
    The first ride down the mountain showed us the true genius of this remarkable man.
    The trails scared many of the riders on their first run and some left with their tails between their legs. Most were grinning from ear to ear and eager to run again.
    I also rode the cross country race that weekend and was equally impressed with the flow of those trails as well.
    The vibe created during those races was amazing. It felt like your friend had built trails just for you and was honored to have you ride them.
    I did not miss a race those early years when Brent was in charge. It was always an honor to hang out with the "Trailmaster" and talk bikes and trails.
    Brent was my inspiration when I was building trails at Sunrise (Park Resort, eastern AZ).
    I remembered how his trails would flow and follow the natural features of the mountain.
    I think the trail that most closely emulated his style was "Fungus Trail".
    I will always remember Brent, and his legacy of Bootleg Canyon will live on forever in my mind.
    Peace and Happy Trails Brent,
    James
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

Pivotal figure
    I still remember the first time I saw Brent in person (already knew about him from mag. articles). I was doing a practice run down one of the many cool ridgeline trails when I see this guy in a big straw hat with a rake. It was Brent doing a little trail grooming during practice so everything was perfect for us. I mainly remember the look on his face as I flew by him; it was a cross between giddy excitement and immense pride. Kinda like seeing your kid make the game winning point. He gave a holler of encouragement as I passed and I just started smiling. That's what I feel his legacy is, he made everyone around him happy. I ended up winning my race and received one of the cool trophy's that he made (the drawing of a rider in full gear, cornering). I feel privileged to have something that he created. Thanks for everything Brent, ride in peace.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member

The Industry Should Help This Man

How can it be that while many others have financially benefitted from this man's humbleness and meekness that this man's family needs financial help to lay him to rest!

Weren't so many of you there with your colorful tents, pitch up and lined up along the road, arrogantly boosting about your thousand dollar bikes?

Weren't you there talking about how your suspension design is superior to others and that's why you deserve to charge $2950.00 for your bike frames alone.

I saw you there, talking about your new widgets and gadgets. I heard you trying to convince me and others that what you had was what I needed it.

You looked at me with disdain and utter something underneath your breath, as you walked away from me, when I said "thank you, I am not interested".

Your marketting budgets budge for the out-door demo.
    Your accountants whisper to you and tell you how this is good for business; how it will affect your operating costs and income statements. You like that.

How many of us have fattened your pockets as a result of "our experience" at the outdoor demo?

You would have never been there, had it not been because of him. You took his ideas and you saw dollar signs, you saw opportunites to capitalize and grow your wealth.

It's time to give back to one of those that made it possible for you to grow.

Put your hand in your pocket, reach in there and help this man's family!!!

If not DAMN YOU,

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1
    How can it be that while many others have financially benefitted from this man's humbleness and meekness that this man's family needs financial help to lay him to rest!

Weren't so many of you there with your colorful tents, pitch up and lined up along the road, arrogantly boosting about your thousand dollar bikes?

Weren't you there talking about how your suspension design is superior to others and that's why you deserve to charge $2950.00 for your bike frames alone.

I saw you there, talking about your new widgets and gadgets. I heard you trying to convince me and others that what you had was what I needed it.

You looked at me with disdain and utter something underneath your breath, as you walked away from me, when I said "thank you, I am not interested".

Your marketting budgets budge for the out-door demo.
    Your accountants whisper to you and tell you how this is good for business; how it will affect your operating costs and income statements. You like that.

How many of us have fattened your pockets as a result of "our experience" at the outdoor demo?

You would have never been there, had it not been because of him. You took his ideas and you saw dollar signs, you saw opportunites to capitalize and grow your wealth.

It's time to give back to one of those that made it possible for you to grow.

Put your hand in your pocket, reach in there and help this man's family!!!

If not DAMN YOU,
    The indistry COULD help this man, they don't have to. He did a lot for the sport and for his community, but demanding a handout from an industry is like asking my clients to pay for my grad school. Let his legacy be just that, a legacy of dignity and integrity, not an angry mob demanding money from the industry that gave him purpose. If you want to make a difference go to the race @ bootleg next month and put some cash in the giant whiskey jug that will inevitably be there. I never met Brent but I'm sure he would rather accept money that way than through a demanded handout.

RIP Brent. I am honored that the trails you put your blood sweat and tears into are the same ones that have taken some of mine...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This year is off to a really rough start for the cycling community!

I have not been up to bootleg yet, but I am planning a trip there shortly and cant wait to ride what Brent put his life into! He is the type of person and rider we all need to be, he loved this sport and did all he could to make sure others could find the joy in it that he did!

RIP Brent, Thank you for all your hard work!

mtbr member

I lost one of my best freinds Wednesday night...

I first met Brent Thomson when he and his son, Barret came into my shop in Springdale, Utah. He told me that he had heard I was responsible for building some of the trails in the Zion area, and mentioned that he had been building trails in Boulder City, Nevada for the past five years; and that if I ever got down there, I should look him up, and he would show me the goods. I looked at this guy who was ten years older than me, standing there with his barely teen-aged son, and thought to myself, "Yeah right, like this guy could really build anything worth riding...especially anywhere near Vegas."

The next year, I was visiting friends in Sedona, Arizona and crashed while doing a drop and broke my leg. I mentioned to my friend that I was staying with that it was really a bummer, because I had planned to be there for two more days, but now I couldn't ride. He told me that since I had the time, I should take the long way home, through Boulder City. He told me that a friend of his was working on some really sweet trails there, and that even though I wouldn't be able to ride them, that I could stay at the guy's place, and at least find out more about the trails there. This sounded a bit odd to me, and I told him that I wasn't about to just drop in on someone I didn't even know, especially since I was injured. This was when my Sedona friend told me that the guy in Boulder City knew me, and had been in my shop. Most importantly, my Sedona friend told me, was that this guy might be able to give me some advice on how to end the battle that I had been fighting with the B.L.M., and perhaps get Gooseberry Mesa and some of the other Zion trails recognized officially. He said that the guy was just about finished with a similar process, there in Boulder City, and that he thought I could learn a thing or three from him. I still couldn't put two and two together, but trusted my friend enough to take his seemingly strange advice.

We arrived in Boulder City about twenty minutes after four o'clock the next afternoon, and called the guy's number, that I had gotten from my Sedona friend. Brent answered the phone and gave me directions to his house. As soon as we got there, I recognized him as the guy who had been in my shop, talking trails. He gave us cold beers to drink, asked about my leg, told us that we were staying for dinner and then staying the night. Then he proceeded to give us two tours; first one of his art studio, and then he drove us up to the top of the mountain to show us what we could look forward to riding, as soon as my leg healed up. My leg was too swollen to put a cast on yet, so the doctors in Sedona had put a splint on it and told me I would have to wait a few days, for the swelling to go down, before I could get a cast. As Brent drove us up the wash-boarded road, the vibrations felt like a sewing machine needle going in and out of the fresh break. When we arrived at the top of the road, he wanted to take us on the hike up to the very top of the mountain, where the downhill trails all start, but being on crutches, I found it nearly impossible to make my way up the steep trail to the top. Seeing my difficulty, Brent walked behind me and literally pushed me up the steep sections. He wasn't about to let me wimp out, just because I had broken my leg the day before!

Over the next few years, I returned frequently, and was always treated better by Brent, than most people treat their own family. I was told that I knew where the refrigerator was, and to help myself to the food and beer. If my bike broke, Brent offered his tools and spare parts. If it couldn't be fixed with what was at hand, I was offered one of his bikes. If I got talked into staying longer than I had planned, he said, "I have a washer and dryer, you know." He shuttled me and my friends up that rough road to the top of the mountain countless times. While he gladly accepted my offers to help him work on new trails he was building or maintaining existing trails, he never asked me to do it. Often, when I would ask if I could take him out to dinner, he would say, "There's food in the fridge, and I like your cooking so much, that if you were a woman, I'd marry you. Why don't we just stay here and eat?"

Talking him into taking time off to come visit us in Zion was like pulling teeth. I was only ever able to do it a few times. Most of the time, he was too busy working; building new trails, maintaining the old ones, or going to city council meetings to keep the bureaucrats happy with how he was running things.

Then, when my whole world crumbled around me, and I had to close my shop at a moment's notice, and found myself without a home or a job, he took me in, without the slightest hesitation, and told me I could stay as long as I needed to, until I could get back on my feet.

Each September, as Interbike approached, I looked forward far more to seeing Brent, than I did to seeing any of the new bikes or products the industry had to offer. Since relocating to Sedona, I have traveled to Boulder City an average of four or five times per year. Any time I was traveling to or from California, I would stop and visit Brent, even if it was just for an hour or two, before getting back on the road.

When Steve Boehmke contacted me, shortly after Brent's heart attack, I called Brent and told him that as soon as he got out of the hospital, that Jamie and I were going to come over and take care of him for a while; that we could cook and clean and run errands or whatever he needed. I was so looking forward to being able to repay his generosity over all these years, however I could. When he got out of the intensive care unit, I thought that it would only be a matter of a few more days until he would be home.

As last weekend's race approached I planned to go there for the race, but more importantly, to see Brent. But then, I thought about how many people would be there, and figured that he would probably be swarmed with visitors all weekend; and since I had a zillion projects that I was trying to catch up on, that maybe I would wait until the following Wednesday or Thursday to take a trip to see him.

When a couple of friends who had gone to the race returned to Sedona, they told me the bad news, that Brent was back in the intensive care unit. Monday night, a few of us got together and made Brent a card. Tuesday, I took it around Sedona and got several of Brent's friends to sign it for him. Jamie and I decided that we would go see Brent the next day. Then, Tuesday night, I got a call from Frankie Clark, telling me that Brent was probably not going to make it through the night. I was devastated. I kicked myself over and over again for not having already been there to see him. I cried several times that night.

Wednesday morning, I spoke with Barret, and he told me that his father had made it through the night, but that it was just a matter of time now, until he was gone. We packed as quickly as we could, and drove to the hospital where Brent was staying. This was my least favorite trip to Boulder City ever...and yet my most important. When we pulled into the parking lot, there were several cars there with bikes on them and several more with empty bike racks.

We went in and asked what room Brent was in. They told us that there was no one there by the name of Brent Thomson. They said that they did have a Robert Thomsom, but no Brent. I called Dan Haskin to ask where Brent was, and he walked out to the lobby and took us to the hallway outside of Brent's room. Josh Bender and his wife, Lauren were there. Brent's girlfriend, Brandy was there. Barret was there. Brent's three sisters were there. Brent's roommate, Andy Feldman was there. Another local rider named Shawn was there. The doctors were not letting anyone into the room at the time. After what seemed like an eternity of whispers and tears, we were finally allowed to go in.

Upon entering the room, it looked to me as if Brent had aged twenty years or more in less than six weeks. We surrounded his bed and laid our hands on him. Each of us took turns telling him how much we loved him, and thanking him for all that he had done over the years to enrich our lives and the lives of countless thousands of others. As some of the people present spoke to him, he tried to open his eyes to look at them, but couldn't quite do it. Realizing that he would never get to see the card that we had made, I spoke to him, telling him who all had signed it and what they had wanted said to him. We took turns over the next few hours, holding his hands, rubbing his shoulders, rubbing his feet, and stroking his hair. We kept telling him that he was not alone, and how much we all loved him and appreciated him. We told him and each other stories of all the good times and funny things we had shared over the years. We cried. We laughed. At times we all just stood silently for several minutes at a time. Brent's sisters told us that his real name was Robert. I kept wondering how much of all of this that Brent could comprehend.

After holding Brent's hand for about twenty minutes, Bender motioned for me to come and take it from him. I took it and squeezed it. I told Brent who I was, and that Jamie and I were there. He started squeezing back, over and over again, letting me know that he understood. I turned to Josh, who was still standing beside me, and joked that Brent was trying to arm wrestle me. As soon as I said this, Brent started flexing his wrist back and forth, once again showing me that he could hear and understand what we were saying. We laughed some more, cried some more, and told more stories about how he had done so many wonderful things for us and everyone else he had met, and even for those he had never met.

Then, from 6:30 until 8:00 P.M. no visitors are allowed in the intensive care. Everyone had to leave, except Barret. Frankie Clark and Chris Canfield showed up. We all waited together in the lobby. Barret's girlfriend arrived. One of Brent's ex-girlfriends arrived. More stories about Brent's extraordinary life were swapped. When Brent's fondness for Tecate beer was mentioned, Bender asked, "What would B.T. do?" It was decided that we should all have a toast to Brent, with Tecates, of course. Frankie left, and somehow returned in under 15 minutes with an ice cold twelve pack of Brent's favorite cheap Mexican beer. With the stealth of a CIA spy operation, we passed the cold cans out to everyone and proceeded to toast a life well lived. Doctors, nurses and other visitors passed through the lobby, yet every beer was emptied, without anyone but out group ever having a clue. Brent would have been proud!

As 8:00 o'clock rolled around, we were all anxious to get back to Brent's side. Brent had different plans. He took advantage of every last moment of privacy with Barret, and just as the time came to start letting visitors back in, he went to go on a ride with Ginger. And who could blame him. She had been one of the coolest biking dogs of all times, and she had been waiting very patiently for several years to show him some new trails that she had found.

That night, most of us ended up at Mike Love's house. We stayed up until nearly three in the morning, trying to put the past six weeks into perspective. At 8:00 A.M., Frankie got up and tried to make it to work by 6:30. Oops. By 9:00, we were all at least somewhat awake. With coffee brewed, we waited for Jeff Haskin to finish his all-night drive from Boise. Cameras and computers and cell phones all came out, and we started to share our favorite Brent photos with each other. I came up with the idea that we should all get copies of our photos to Barret and Brent's sisters. Then I started thinking that several of my photos of Brent were from way before I went digital, and that just going through all the albums and boxes of loose photos to find them would take quite a while, and that since a couple of Brent's sisters didn't live here, that this would be a difficult task. So, I thought that we could make a memorial web site, where anyone with photos or videos or stories of Brent could be posted for anyone who wanted. I still haven't had a chance to run this by Barret yet, but everyone who has heard the idea seems to like it. I'll post more info, as we get the details sorted out, although it may take a few weeks.

No sooner had I come up with this idea, than Mike found a helmet cam video that he had shot, while riding behind Brent, from Bootleg Canyon, all the way to Brent's neighborhood. The video was shot at dusk. At the beginning of the video, there is barely enough light to discern colors. Over the next several minutes everything fades to darker and darker shades of gray. Brent, riding in front of Mike, starts off as shades of gray , and by the end of the video, is a fairly solid black silhouette, but is still unmistakeably Brent. Every once in a while, they turn toward the city. The first time they do so, most of the lights of the city are already turned on. Each subsequent time they turn toward the city, there are more and more lights...until they get past the canal, and are on that final stretch of vacant lot, coming into Brent's neighborhood, where there are just a couple of distant street lights. The entire screen is dark gray, Brent is a dark silhouette and in the distance are two small but bright lights, side by side.

Ride toward the light, Brent!!!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    The indistry COULD help this man, they don't have to. He did a lot for the sport and for his community, but demanding a handout from an industry is like asking my clients to pay for my grad school. Let his legacy be just that, a legacy of dignity and integrity, not an angry mob demanding money from the industry that gave him purpose. If you want to make a difference go to the race @ bootleg next month and put some cash in the giant whiskey jug that will inevitably be there. I never met Brent but I'm sure he would rather accept money that way than through a demanded handout.

RIP Brent. I am honored that the trails you put your blood sweat and tears into are the same ones that have taken some of mine...
    Youre right, Brent would never demand a handout but lets ask ourselves, "What would Brent do?" Given his generous nature im sure that he would give whatever he could and more. Nobody is asking for or demanding a handout but I don't see how leaving his son with to pay for this on his own is showing Brent respect. I gave what I could and asking the industry to do the same is not out of line at all.

mtbr member
    Guys like Brent come along once in a lifetime, I count myself lucky to have known him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc
    I

Ride toward the light, Brent!!!

nice words Dean.....I am here for you. You can always drink beers and hang at my house

anything I can do ...let me know
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 02-22-2009 at 10:57 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    My fate with death.......

I really didn't know how important I was to my friend until after my near death experience.

My friend told me. You know Bob, I don't have a lot of friends. because I have a large family and they are so cool, so I don't really need friends.....but I never told you this but you are really important to me. You are like family to me, the brother I never had....I am glad you are around and he hugged me....this coming from a guy who is un-emotional and never hugged me in my life. This blew me away...

Bottom line...we can all be gone tomorrow, a bike accident, car accident, mishap or strange disease....If you care about someone then let them know what they mean to you and your life because tomorrow they might not be a round...

it is totally a blessing to be alive....share your friendship, and your love to people who mean something in your life but you never tell them.....don't take it for granted they will be there the next day. Life is too short ...enjoy it.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

old broken downhiller
    Yo Dean-O what's up brotha??

That was well written. You've always had a way with words.

My number is still the same call me dude...

i can't type the letter s
    Bike Doc, your story is a gift. Thank You.

Brackish
    RIP, brother.

wretch
    Thanks for that Bikedoc. . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow, Just, Wow. Before this thread, I had no idea who Brent was. I can now see why he was loved by so many.

Godspeed Brent.

...and BikeDoc, I'm sure i'm not the only one, but your story put me in tears.
    adam • michigan • karate monkey

mtbr member

Mountain Bike Money

What a lot of you may not know, is that Brent Thomson's job was on the line. It seems that Boulder City had been talking about eliminating his position as Trail Master with the city, as the folks in the city government were of the mind that mountain biking didn't bring much revenue into the city coffer, since they only received $5.00 per rider for events held there, and nothing, directly, from riders visiting during times other than when events were being held. Of course, they also receive something like $8800.00 per year from the folks running the Interbike trade show, for allowing the bike industry to come spend 2 days per year there demoing new bikes and stuff.

When reminded that many mountain bikers also stay in local motels and eat at local restaurants, and that most arrive with the gas guage falling toward "E" and leave with a full tank, and that a few people rent bikes or bring their own and break them there and THEN get them FIXED there, and that maybe some riders even manage to spend a few more odd dollars there, they responded that they had no way of knowing how much that really added up to, since it was just lumped in with all the other sales tax and room tax they collect.

SO, they were thinking that perhaps what Brent had done to create a World renouned mountain biking destination, featured in several extreme mountain biking videos and dozens of magazines from every corner of the planet, really wasn't worth the small amount of money and few benefits that they threw his way, and they had been talkjing for quite some time about eliminating his job with the city. Brent had been quite stressed out over the situation with the city for several months. It was actually AFTER the first of this year, that they even told him he had a job for 2009. Dan Haskin and I ( Along with several others) are convinced that this stress contributed to his heart attack on January 10th and his ensuing death.

SOOO, I say we show them just how much money flows into Boulder City from all of us!
    (Or I should say, from BRENT'S hard work!!!) What I am proposing is that whenever you visit the Bootleg Canyon Trail Network in Boulder City; whether it be this weekend, for Brent's memorial, during Interbike, or anytime; is that instead of using your credit card for purchases there, that you visit the A.T.M. ahead of time, and that you write the words "Mountain Bike Money" on every bill you plan to spend there. Let's flood Boulder City forever, with a stark reminder of what Brent did for their small town, so that even if they didn't fully appreciate his efforts during his lifetime, that they will soon realize, and always remember who and what he really was!!!!!
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

old broken downhiller
    they responded that they had no way of knowing how much that really added up to, since it was just lumped in with all the other sales tax and room tax they collect
    There may be no way of really knowing how much revenue Bootleg brings to the town w/o making the effort to find out, but hell it's got to be SOMETHING at least.

It ain't like Boulder City is a hoppin' town or anything. The place is frickin' DEAD. Folks sure ain't drivin' over from Vegas to check it out. What are they gonna do, tour the Fisher Space Pen factory? "Visit" Hoover Dam when they won't even let you anywhere near it anymore? They should be bloody happy that there's at least ONE attraction there to draw at least a small niche of the population to their town.

That is a big fear of mine, that now that B is gone, Bootleg Canyon is going to die with him. Whenever the town acted like sissies when it came to funding, he was the rallying force behind changing their minds and getting them to step up.

Good idea Dean - when you're in town, spend cash. And write "BOOTLEG CANYON" on every bill w/ a big red Sharpie...

mtbr member
    I do not want to say how much they got but for the Mob in Mojave but the Parks Department did well!

What I plan on doing as a promoter is continue to put on high profile events at Bootleg, keep the money flowing into the parks department and get the local businesses behind us. This is what had to be done in Lake Placid and Whiteface Mountain. This tactic did save Whiteface from closing to bikers, and now we are part of the Pro Gravity Tour. In a few more years we should/will have 1 of the biggest events in the world at Whiteface.

For the Mob in Mojave the local businesses did great! It is my job to meet with all the local business owners and have them let the city and parks department know how much these events do bring in. I thought at 1st the event brought in $100,000.00 to the local economy. I was told by many the actual number is more like $200.000.00 +.

With well over 200 racers at the event, many stay in motels, eat at the restaurants, bring friends and family, etc. The racers and company stayed at least 3 nights +/-. Many are new to the area and will also return, tell others, etc. If the city and parks dept. have these figures presented to them in a professional and organized way, and have the local businesses reminding them how much Bootleg Canyon helps them, it can only help. I know others who have done this in other ways, but this approach is working in the small village of Lake Placid and will work here too.

Next years 5th Annual Mob in Mojave (presented by Downhill Mike & All Mountain Cyclery) will be even bigger and better than this years record size crowd, and world class athletes.

Note. CJ timing has already been contacted and they will be timing the 5th Annual Mob in Mojave. CJ Timing times all of MSC races and they are one of the best in the business.

Thanks again Brent and we will help your legacy live on forever!
    Last edited by downhill mike; 03-11-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member

I prefer "Mountain Bike Money"

Or perhaps the short hand version: Bike $

Members who have read this thread: 0