Break in period for 5.10's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Break in period for 5.10's

Is there a break in period for 5.10's. I got a pair of the hightop 08 model and today was my first ride. I didn't experience any of the super hard to take feet off pedals at times, stick like clipless, . . . and other things everyone always raves about. Actually just the opposite. I was at times having a hard time keeping my feet on the pedals.

I cause attribute some of my problems to the stiffness of the soles, which I am not used to.

I am really just hoping that like a pair of tires, there is a break in period.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamline.by.design
    Is there a break in period for 5.10's. I got a pair of the hightop 08 model and today was my first ride. I didn't experience any of the super hard to take feet off pedals at times, stick like clipless, . . . and other things everyone always raves about. Actually just the opposite. I was at times having a hard time keeping my feet on the pedals.

I cause attribute some of my problems to the stiffness of the soles, which I am not used to.

I am really just hoping that like a pair of tires, there is a break in period.

Although I understand your concern, I think we have reached a new low here....

Brake in period for forks: OK, acceptable.
    Brake in period for brake pads: OK, acceptable.
    Brake in period for tires: OK, acceptable.
    Brake in period for some mofo sneakers? WTF Are you kidding me?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    LOL I can see your point. I didn't know if the special compound used for the soles had a coating on them such as tires do. When I got them I expected all that has been said about them and I was very unimpressed. If there was a coating it would explain where these fell short.

Never hurts to ask.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    May 2004

just do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Streamline.by.design
    LOL I can see your point.
    Never hurts to ask.
    True, indeed.

Just wear them for a few days, not riding. That should take care of the preservative silicone coating on the soles, as well as the stiffness factor.

i like rocks
    mine were dialed from the first moment. maybe your pedals suck?
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    mine were dialed from the first moment. maybe your pedals suck?
    Ditto, never had a problem with mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride with Azonic Fusion Magnesium pedals and they have griped everything else. I have always ridden with a more tennis shoe versus skater style shoe so the learning curve might be the issue as I said before.

The Azonics I have ridden of 3 foot drops with a pair of Rainbow flip flops and the gripped great.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    rainbows grip fantastically, but they fall apart quick if you use them

anyway, mine were pretty dialed. I actually have marzocchi bomber shoes, but its the exact same sole as 5.10's.

My immediate problem with them was that my feet griped so well I started rolling pedals for the first time as I pulled my foot off. The grip was great from the start though

Bikes Rule
    It may be pin configuration and pin height as well. I found that less pins and lower pins work better with the 5.10. I run Impact V2 on Wellgo MG-1 pedals on my DH/FR and BA51c shoes with Wellgo MG-52 on my DJ. I have the inner pins removed on the MG-1 and all of the pedals have lower pins. Wellgo pedals come in the tall pins and I swapped them out.

My experience is that the shoe sticks better to the metal of the pedal better than the pins. Those Azonics have 4 pins on one side and they all look tall. Maybe remove the inner ones of the pedal and see if that grips better.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Brake in period for some mofo sneakers? WTF Are you kidding me?!
    I think this is a legit case. The 5.10's are probably made with a real sturdy material, and he got the high tops, so even more so around the ankle. In the past year or so I've been breaking in two pairs of hockey skates, one ice and one roller, and they take FOREVER to break in. Why do I mention this? Those are built to take a beating, so are the 5.10's, so I don't find it odd you have to loosen up the material to help them fit better.

If you want to speed them up you can wear them in the house if you want. The longer they're on your feet the more they will conform to the shape of your foot.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I've noticed that the stealth material on my 5.10 sole is starting to harden and become less grippy. How long have some of you held on to theirs before replacing? I live and ride in Phoenix and the heat and dust dry the crap out of things.

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I think this is a legit case. The 5.10's are probably made with a real sturdy material, and he got the high tops, so even more so around the ankle. In the past year or so I've been breaking in two pairs of hockey skates, one ice and one roller, and they take FOREVER to break in. Why do I mention this? Those are built to take a beating, so are the 5.10's, so I don't find it odd you have to loosen up the material to help them fit better.

If you want to speed them up you can wear them in the house if you want. The longer they're on your feet the more they will conform to the shape of your foot.
    I don't think the OP is talking about the break-in of the shoe to the foot. I think he is asking if the shoe to the pedal contact has a break in. Which is why I answered my thoughts in my last response. Any shoe goes through a break-in to the foot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Demo-9 That is a great suggestion. Maybe another one of those cases where less is more. I will try that. Possibly get the pins to the same height as the tread circles on the shoes. hmm
    Mountain Biking Apparel

~~~~~~~~
    I agree, the new 5.10's are stiffer than the old ones and are hard to get used to especially if you're used to flexier soles.

I rode with my new ones once and it was annoying so I only used them for hiking and building for quite a while before they broke in. Even after a lengthy break in they are still way stiffer than my old ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    It may be pin configuration and pin height as well. I found that less pins and lower pins work better with the 5.10. I run Impact V2 on Wellgo MG-1 pedals on my DH/FR and BA51c shoes with Wellgo MG-52 on my DJ. I have the inner pins removed on the MG-1 and all of the pedals have lower pins. Wellgo pedals come in the tall pins and I swapped them out.

My experience is that the shoe sticks better to the metal of the pedal better than the pins. Those Azonics have 4 pins on one side and they all look tall. Maybe remove the inner ones of the pedal and see if that grips better.

Thats mostly a personal preference, I run Wellgo MG-1's with the original tall pins and really like it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't own the 5.10 shoes, I ride with vans, but the reason your (azdog) shoe's soles are less grippy and dried out is mostly because the rubber has become oxidized. I rock climb, so I use 5.10's climbing shoes, which uses stealth rubber, and after awhile, they become harder and less grippy. All I do is rub the soles of the two shoes together to get the dried layer off. Or you can brush them with a wire brush, it should un oxidize them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude

off topic....

I dont know if you can do this with newer skates, but this is how i broke mine in years ago. Fill a bathtub with hot water. Stick your skates on wicked tight, barefoot. Put your skate guards on, i know you still have them from squirts. Put your skates in the water. Do this for like 15 min, re lace them ever tighter. for another 15 min. Take em out and let em dry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I dunno, mine were beautiful out of the box.... grippy, stiff but comfortable, loved 'em right then and there. I'm running with Easton Flatboy pedals.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberdays27
    I don't own the 5.10 shoes, I ride with vans, but the reason your (azdog) shoe's soles are less grippy and dried out is mostly because the rubber has become oxidized. I rock climb, so I use 5.10's climbing shoes, which uses stealth rubber, and after awhile, they become harder and less grippy. All I do is rub the soles of the two shoes together to get the dried layer off. Or you can brush them with a wire brush, it should un oxidize them.
    Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Tried rubbing them together last night and what do you know.... it worked!
    Last edited by azdog; 08-01-2008 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was considering wiping the soles down with acetone. Used to do this with rubber working gloves. it would make them a very grippy. But I do worry about it damaging the the compound.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    The stealth C-1 rubber is pretty common among 5.10 approach shoes. I use 5.10's for climbing and I almost always rub the sole on the sidewalk for a little bit to remove the very outer layer. Once that's done they grip like a champ. Maybe you should wear your 5.10's a bit before you ride on them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have been wearing them off and on and they are getting better on the street. I will test on pedals this weekend.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

EXTREEEEEME KAYAKING!
    Mine were pretty much amazing right out of the box.

Members who have read this thread: 0