Brakes for lightweight DHer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Brakes for lightweight DHer

I've got juicy 3s now and honestly the front is pretty good as is, not to grabby, but the rear is poop. Granted it helps keep me from locking it down too much but has poor power before skidding. I only weigh 140ish in gear and I worry that something too strong won't modulate well for a light rider. I am looking at code/code 5 now as they aren't too pricey but don't want an on/off rear. What do you guys think? Mabey something lighter duty or just setup a little looser?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If you're a fan of the Avids, you might consider some Elixers. Definitely a little lighter than the Codes, especially the CR, but a big upgrade from the Juicys. Price is pretty reasonable too. I weigh about 160 pounds fully geared up. I just built a new bike w/ Elixer CRs. I'm taking it out for its maiden voyage this afternoon. I'm also in the process of putting Saints on another bike. I'm curious to see how they compare.

Meh.
    The R model is lighter than the CRs. And they are a lot lighter than Codes.

Capricious youth...
    The Elixir R is lighter than the CR?

According to SRAM's website, they weigh the same.

But you get the adjustable banjo fitting on the caliper on the CR's, which I find mighty helpful.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Thanks for input so far. BTW I'm not concerned with weight, I meant light duty as in not so grabby. Just figure if something is to "on/off" for heavy riders then it would be more so for a lighter rider. Then again I have good control of braking so it may work anyway with something like the code 5. Just looking for others opinions and experiences. Thanks again. I may look into the elixers.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    The Elixir R is lighter than the CR?

According to SRAM's website, they weigh the same.

But you get the adjustable banjo fitting on the caliper on the CR's, which I find mighty helpful.
    It's listed as lighter on BTI. Though the Avid main page lists them both as 375g, you can see the pdf has lists of the brakes with carbon and aluminum levers. Think about it. The CR has more crap on it. The R is available with a carbon lever as well. I think if you compare the R without the carbon lever to the CR with the carbon lever, they work out about the same. Though I am doubtful that the carbon lever saves an entire ten grams. The Juicy Carbon shaves 9 grams from the Juicy 7. And I believe the Carbon uses Ti bolts too in addition to the carbon lever and carbon resi cover.

The Elixir R v2 (now the only version available through distributors) has an adjustable banjo.

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/en/av...isc_Brakes.pdf
    http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/BR/BRDB/AV

The brochure lists the CR as heavier as well.
    http://issuu.com/sram/docs/elixir_brochure_final
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 07-24-2009 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It's listed as lighter on BTI. Though the main page lists them both as 375g, you can see the pdf has lists of the brakes with carbon and aluminum levers. Think about it. The CR has more crap on it. The R is available with a carbon lever as well. I think if you compare the R without the carbon lever to the CR with the carbon lever, they work out about the same.

The Elixir R v2 (now the only version available through distributors) has an adjustable banjo.

I'd like to add that pad contact point adjustment is extremely overrated. On any disk brake system without all you have to do to adjust it is pull the caliper and squeeze the lever until and check until you've got it right.

Meh.
    Right, you can pump out the pistons on any system. But the downside is that you are changing the size of the pad gap. The pad contact does this without changing the pad gap.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'm on Elixr CR's. Excellent modulation, can get right to the edge of traction and hold that fine line all day. I weigh about 170 right now. 203 Fr, 185 Rr

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    It's listed as lighter on BTI. Though the Avid main page lists them both as 375g, you can see the pdf has lists of the brakes with carbon and aluminum levers. Think about it. The CR has more crap on it. The R is available with a carbon lever as well. I think if you compare the R without the carbon lever to the CR with the carbon lever, they work out about the same. Though I am doubtful that the carbon lever saves an entire ten grams. The Juicy Carbon shaves 9 grams from the Juicy 7. And I believe the Carbon uses Ti bolts too in addition to the carbon lever and carbon resi cover.

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/BR/BRDB/AV

The brochure lists the CR as heavier as well.
    http://issuu.com/sram/docs/elixir_brochure_final
    I'm not familiar with the Elixer levers, but every carbon lever I have seen on other brakes (hayes, formula, magura) had a ton of slop and play in a very short time. Just something to consider... I don't think it is an ideal material for brake levers.

bike rider
    Shimano XTs with Alligator Wind-Cutter rotors. They're light, feel good, and run drag free even if the rotor isn't perfectly straight cuz the pads sit farther from it than on other brakes. With 8" rotors they have plenty of power and a good balance of bite and modulation. I'm 165lb and get the rear to fade on long brake dragging sections (reminds me to get off the brakes) but you'll be fine.
    Keep the Country country.

Capricious youth...
    I weigh 165 without gear. I went with 8" front/ 6" rear. Haven't looked back. Great modulation and plenty of power.
    Meh.

bike rider
    I never liked smaller rotors on the rear. I use my rear brake MUCH more than the front and need the fade resistance and equal feeling power of the large rear rotor.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i'm 125 w/o gear...feather weight.

run codes 185mm front and back. never felt like "too much". codes arent grabby, really powerful and have pretty good modulation with a good bleed. the pad contact and lever reach adjustments are great too.

you can get away with smaller rotor in the rear. as long as the most power is up front youre good. but lets not get in to another "proper braking" thread...

Members who have read this thread: 0