brakes, front or rear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

brakes, front or rear

if you had a split decision to decide between the front, or the rear brake. Which would you take?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I would take the back brake

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    if you HAD to run just one. make it rear

but... why??

Bike Ninja |||
    i'd take one in the rear

sexual innuendo's aside, a rear brake probably would be better... why might you ask?
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Running just one brake is a bad idea in DH or any other kind of riding except for street/dj. But I'd take the front, thats where most of the power comes from anyway.

mtbr member
    Assuming your bike has 2 disc brakes of course, and that you may only be able to upgrade just one at a time and perhaps you are thinking of which one to upgrade over the other one in terms of what performance factor you will get the most out of...I would choose the front brake for DH/FR because as rovernick has already stated, "most of the breaking force is in the front" and that is where you would feel any dramatic difference. Assuming your brakes are already half good, your current rear brake would be fine until you could afford the other matching brake.

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    I'd take the front, thats where most of the power comes from anyway.
    yep, rear brakes don't do jack besides help you steer

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Assuming your bike has 2 disc brakes of course, and that you may only be able to upgrade just one at a time and perhaps you are thinking of which one to upgrade over the other one in terms of what performance factor you will get the most out of...I would choose the front brake for DH/FR because as rovernick has already stated, "most of the breaking force is in the front" and that is where you would feel any dramatic difference. Assuming your brakes are already half good, your current rear brake would be fine until you could afford the other matching brake.
    that scenario makes more sense...def. upgrade your front first...

but for DJ / urban having only a rear is nice.

NEED MORE INFO O.P!!!!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Pivotal figure
    If you can only run one, go with the rear. Not as much power as a front brake but you won't get thrown over the bars either. It's a pretty common setup for BMX...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Although this thread was posted in the DH/FR section...not the BMX section lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Inchigh
    if you had a split decision to decide between the front, or the rear brake. Which would you take?
    I lost my front brake in a crash in the first turn at the angel fire downhill several years ago, lord how I missed having a front brake the rest of the run. See a turn a dozen yards ahead, and prepare for impact was pretty much how the rest of my run went.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inchigh
    Where am I taking it? Take it off? Take it to the shop? WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i do DJ/street. no front brake. little bit hairy at times when it comes to mountain. im still alive tho.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Front brake. Already been said more stopping power.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Na I have no idea, never ridden with just a front brake before, I ride rear only right now, it takes some getting used to but its nice.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Front brake, always, no two ways about it. Most DH runs I will barely even touch the rear brake unless I need to suddenly oversteer a corner and can't do it manually. 90% of the stopping power is on that front wheel, and you shouldn't be touching the brakes in corners anyways. Rear braking in a straight line on a descent is just a good way to start speeding up. The same concept applies for riding dirt bikes. Doing 30+ mile loops and technical descents I never even touch the rear brake - maybe, just MAYBE for a really tight switchback that the bike can't physically turn through without skidding.

If you don't believe me, go find a DH run and do back to back runs using only one brake (take the brake entirely off the bike).

You have to be the worlds biggest idiot to throw yourself over the bars simply from the brake alone. Case in point: I see sorority girls do this often on college campuses. It's pretty funny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    If you can only run one, go with the rear. Not as much power as a front brake but you won't get thrown over the bars either. It's a pretty common setup for BMX...
    But this is only true for rigid setups any suspension (or just lean right back if rigid forks) will stop the throw over the bars problem, however a front brake can be routed thru head tube stem etc and allowing multiple tailwhipsbarspins etc so make some sense for dj/urban as well to only have a frot brake and as its the most powerfull,
    2008 Spesh P.1, Hope mono M4's
    Kona CoilAir
    Marin ??
    Prev
    MountainCycle SanAndreas
    Orange MsIsle
    Orange o2

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    front brake... i guess it's an autocross thing...

Members who have read this thread: 0