Brake Upgrade- Mtbr.com

Thread: Brake Upgrade

C S
    mtbr member

Brake Upgrade

My bike came stock with Juicy 5s and 203mm rotors. While they work great most of the time, they don't quite have the power to handle the steeper terrain that the local mountain serves up. I first noticed this at the end of last year when I stepped up to the tougher runs and initially wrote it off to poor braking technique, but I've improved my technique a lot and when I stay off the brakes as much as possible, man is it hard to take off that much speed Because of the steep terrain I regularly ride and the fact that I weigh ~220 geared up, I'm looking at brakes with a reputation to have tons of power: new Saints, Codes, and Gustavs. I haven't had a chance yet to head down to the LBS and get quotes on them, but it looks like the Saint and Gustav brakes are around the same price range and the Codes are a fair amount cheaper.

Are the Shimano or Magura brakes worth the extra $ over the Codes? I've seen some posts about the new Saints having poor modulation...I occasionally see Gustavs recommended as great brakes, although it seems like there are relatively few riders with them. Bleeding the brakes (a big advantage Shimano has over Avid, idk about Magura) is less of an issue to me because I already have the Avid bleed kit. Also, if I decide to go with the Saints, can I use my Avid rotors with the Shimano calipers?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have some code 5 which are almost half the price as the codes and they have a lot of breaking power! I weight about the same as you do and they handle me just fine, pherhaps even too much
    I'm the guy that blocks your view with a cloud of dust!

A landing that you can walk out of is a good landing!

mtbr member
    I have both codes and saints

my new 09 saints have shocking modulation, but lots of power, hopefully a bleed will sort it, but becausese the modulation is alot better on the codes, ill go for the codes

mtbr member
    magura gustav's raw power and made to last.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just switched to the saints, and I'm VERY happy with them. great modulation for me (I could keep the wheels rolling down steep, loose, silty stuff), and there's tons of power. I kept expecting them to start fading, but they never did.

from the little experience I've had with the codes, they had a good bit less modulation than my saints. I also hear that the gustavs, while being a very powerful brake, do lack some of the modulation of some other ones.

FWIW, you can pick up saints for $183 per wheel at CRC right now, and shipping is free. you just need to swap levers unless you run moto style (right side front brake), since they are all out of the left hand lever on the front brake.

The Beaver
    Elixer... more power than the codes and have a better feel too... they are $141 a wheel on jenson usa
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Fly fat ass fly !
    What about hi flow lines and the steel breaded stuff ?? I got Juicy 5's too and i'v been think about trying the upgrade. Not really sure i want to drop 300 on just brakes .
    Anybody tryed the hose upgrade to share ???
    By not allowing the progression of trails your cheating everyone out of their potential.
    DEITYCOMPONENTS.COM

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwehahaha
    Elixer... more power than the codes and have a better feel too... they are $141 a wheel on jenson usa

uuummm.... sorry, but the elixirs are NOT more powerful than codes. But, I do like my elixir cr's.

Urban Ninja
    Brakes just slow you down

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    www.hucknroll.com has the Saints for $167 us. Just bought them, so havent tested them outside the parking lot yet. But seems good. Looking forward to breaking them in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hope Tech V2, just put a set on my Highline and they have all the power and modulation you could ask for.

Ryan

Glad to Be Alive
    The new Saints
    ease of set up
    great modulation
    ease of lever pull
    great stopping power
    ease of getting parts

if you are 220 then these are the breaks you want
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Living the High Life
    No one threw in Hayes Stroker Aces. So I will, I'm 200 lbs and race 19-29 CAT 2 DH - more toward the front of the pack <-- this means I use my brakes a bit too much to be in CAT 1, so I know about brake use

I used to have Codes, the Stroker Aces are an improvement. Less fade and more power. I haven't ridden the Saints yet, they're on my friends 303 RDH and I haven't taken it for a run yet.

The guys on my team either run Elixirs or Stroker Aces.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Formula "The ONE" - best combo of modulation and braking power. Not sure how they do it but their brakes are amazing. The ONE is the most powerful 2 piston DH brake on the planet.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Go back to school
    +1 on Hope breaks. They may not be leading the forefront of R&D but man they make a good brake. 6 piston... are you serious?

Magura also makes a nice brake.
    Die to ride, ride to die

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thomas thanks for the hucknroll link i was gunna buy them from crc but these are even cheaper
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

The Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by blkss
    uuummm.... sorry, but the elixirs are NOT more powerful than codes. But, I do like my elixir cr's.

Can I at least get "more control" for the elixirs?
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

The Beaver

Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

The Beaver

Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Curler: No problem. I bought alot of snowboard stuff from the same guys earlier, and never had any problems. Ordered my brakes on friday. Delivered to me monday. And i live in Norway.

Stay thirsty my friends
    Have you tried different pads? You may prefer full metallics.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JawChuck
    Have you tried different pads? You may prefer full metallics.
    Yeah, def. pick up some new brake pads, and re-bleed the lines before you go out and buy a new set of brakes.. Juicys are plenty powerful for most people, if they are setup correct(I do see your on the heavier side)..

But if you decide to go the upgrade path, I've run codes that past 3 seasons and love them(I'm about 230lbs fully equipped).. but if I were to get a new set of brakes I'd probably pick up the elixirs.. only b/c I'm comfortable with Avid products and already have everything I need to bleed them..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I weigh about 245 all geared up and I couldn't ask for more out of my codes. They are rediculous brakes, stoppies, lockup, smooth slow downs, controlled stops, scrubbing some corners or adjusting weight before corners, the codes do it all and do it very well. Although they are a little heavy.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Members who have read this thread: 0