Boxxer vs Totem & Magura Louise BAT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Boxxer vs Totem & Magura Louise BAT

Hey everyone,

Im getting a Scott Gambler frame and building it up to be my DH/FR bike. Ive not decided between the Rock Shox Totem and Boxxer Team yet. The bike will be ridden in Portes du Soleil and other resorts in the Alps and for the UK.
    Im not really bothered about x-ups but the Totem im guessing will be lower maintanence. For riders out there who have ridden the UK and/or the alps, is the Totem plenty or should I go for the Boxxer Team.

For brakes im looking at Magura Louise BAT. I have the older 2006 louise fr's and love the modulation and power is plenty aswell. Is the power enough for a Dh rig and have people had any problems of brake fade. Again opinions from people who have ridden them on long alpine descents or all day bikepark thrashing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Anyone...? Need quick opinions if possible please.

mtbr member
    Hello mate - the totem coil is superb and should suffice for the Uk but it you are spending a lot of time int he alps Id go triple clamp all the way.

I run solo airs on my trail/FR bike and my gambler I run with 40's... ask on the Scott forum they might be able to give you a view as....

some are running totems

some boxxers

Loving my gambler btw

Oh, So Interesting!
    The Louise BAT is pretty burly. I live in CO and we have some long descents, and some sustained steep descents too. Never had them fade. I have them on my trail bike... but I have Gustavs on my dh bike. The Gustavs are in a league of their own, but you might not need them if you're not very heavy.

bearded
    I race on both the Louise BAT's and the teams so I'd like to think i've got some good opinions for you. First off I'd like to point out that if you think boxxers are high maintenance your a crazy. I rebuild mine every three months(racing) and most the time they don't need it. I will be going to world cups just because they are lighter and the new ones offer massive weight savings and an adjustable spring rate but could not be happier with the teams. The brakes are simply irresistible. lots of power. Good modulation. Wicked light. Never have to touch them.
    BLKMRKT

Stray Bullet
    I own both the Louise FR's and Louise BATs. FR's are on my DH bike (210/203 rotors) and BAT's on AM rig (203 F&R). I've ridden my AM bike on DH runs the brakes seem just as capable. The Magura USA guys say the FR's are nicer brakes since the caliper is one piece. The BAT's don't feel as strong but I think that is all mental since the FR's levers are thicker. I've never found myself in a situation where I couldn't stop. I'm also a big guy at 220 lbs.

If you like Louise FRs you'll like the BAT's.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    agreed. must be why i have 4 sets of maggies. 2 each, no clear fave yet.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cheers everyone for the opinions, keep em coming. Looks like ill be getting a 2010 Boxxer Team and Magura Louise Bat's 203 F&R

Members who have read this thread: 0