Boxxer Teams or Totem Solo Air?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Boxxer Teams or Totem Solo Air?

OK, so the stock totem coils that came on my Demo broke 4 times , so Rock shox gave me some boxxer team for warentty, but I kind of want to get totem solo airs because of there weight and it will make my bike a better all around freeride some dowhill racing bike. Should I keep the boxxers or sell them and get the totems?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    i forget if it was the solo or the two step air, but i tried it and it felt like total donkey poop...i would keep the boxxers because they have less problemos.

Locs on Spokez
    I have a Totem Solo Air on my sx trail and for the size and travel its pretty freaking light. I haven't had any issues with it and its stiff. If the Boxxer is working out good then just stick with that
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    You will want to get a Totem Solo Air. RS has fixed all the bugs with that one. The Coil and 2 Step are the ones to stay away from for now. I will say the Totem is much better than the Boxxer. It is stiffer, more control over the treavel, and its much plusher than the Boxxer too. I have the Totem Solo Air on my Morewwod Shova LT and love it for a 7"x7" DHer. See if they wil take the Boxxer back to get the Totem Solo Air. You may hav eto pay a little more. By the way did they give you any $$ back with the Boxxer Team? The Totem Coil sells for more that the Boxxer Team by around $200 I think. You may want to check into that.

Good luck man.
    Ride!

Registered Jong
    Quote Originally Posted by FCLINDER
    You will want to get a Totem Solo Air. RS has fixed all the bugs with that one. The Coil and 2 Step are the ones to stay away from for now. I will say the Totem is much better than the Boxxer. It is stiffer, more control over the treavel, and its much plusher than the Boxxer too. I have the Totem Solo Air on my Morewwod Shova LT and love it for a 7"x7" DHer. See if they wil take the Boxxer back to get the Totem Solo Air. You may hav eto pay a little more. By the way did they give you any $$ back with the Boxxer Team? The Totem Coil sells for more that the Boxxer Team by around $200 I think. You may want to check into that.

Good luck man.
    My boxxer team is alot more plush than my friends totem, a lot more plush, but then again it would make sense since the boxxer is a DH fork and the totem is a FR fork.

mtbr member
    so many Specialized OEM totem coils going to ****, b/c they're filled with pretend totem internals (there was an article about it in MBaction during their demo review, they reveal are filled with boxxer race insides)... too bad..

I was wondering if RS was fixing it with the "Custom Spesh" internals or actual stock Totem coil internals? you may want to inquire..
    i couldn't imagine a regular stock totem coil blowing up on your so many times on you...
    anyway stay w/ the SC - i hear the solo air totem runs well... and i know for a fact that my stock coil works just as good as my 66.. It'll keep your bike feeling like a FR bike.. too, and isn't that the point of a FR bike, to actually feel like a FR bike?

I think you're being misinformed about staying away from the coil totem.. if you talk to tech at RS ask them about it.. and so far - really the only coils i've heard breaking are the oem ones for specialized.

like fclinder said the two step still has issues.. and until a 3rd party fix comes out.. i probably wouldn't ride one..

so my suggestion.. get a real totem coil or solo air.. and you should be smitten.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_daugherty
    so many Specialized OEM totem coils going to ****, b/c they're filled with pretend totem internals (there was an article about it in MBaction during their demo review, they reveal are filled with boxxer race insides)... too bad..

Huh?

How do they differ from a stock totem? And what's breaking on them?

The only thing I know of is seals going bad very early in life. Specialized is claiming it's due to them sitting around in boxes for 9+ months without being ridden. They replaced mine.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Huh?

How do they differ from a stock totem? And what's breaking on them?

The only thing I know of is seals going bad very early in life. Specialized is claiming it's due to them sitting around in boxes for 9+ months without being ridden. They replaced mine.
    I wish i still had that issue and i could give you a solid answer but from what i remember it saying, that specialized wanted the image of a totem on their bike.. but didn't want to charge their customers for an actual stock totem coil, so RS replaced the internals with boxxer internals to drop the price for spesh..

Too bad the MBaction site sucks, i tried to find what issue it was ...

this is on the 2007 demo 7 I, RockShox Totem Coil for Specialized, custom Black Box speed stack damper, adj comp and reb, 180mm travel, alloy 1.5" steerer, 20mm thru-axle w/ Maxle - which = clever marketing but actualy says ... "not a real totem, but good enough" After i read the article in MBaction i talked to my lbs about it and they assured me that i was understanding the article correctly .. and that what is inside the spesh totem coil, isn't the same thing you get when you buy it on its own.

BUM BUM BUM

Registered Jong
    I wish i still had that issue and i could give you a solid answer but from what i remember it saying, that specialized wanted the image of a totem on their bike.. but didn't want to charge their customers for an actual stock totem coil, so RS replaced the internals with boxxer internals to drop the price for spesh..

this is on the 2007 demo 7 I, RockShox Totem Coil for Specialized, custom Black Box speed stack damper, adj comp and reb, 180mm travel, alloy 1.5" steerer, 20mm thru-axle w/ Maxle - which = clever marketing but actualy says ... "not a real totem, but good enough" After i read the article in MBaction i talked to my lbs about it and they assured me that i was understanding the article correctly .. and that what is inside the spesh totem coil, isn't the same thing you get when you buy it on its own.

BUM BUM BUM
    You know that the black box does not come inside the boxxer race, thus they must be putting team internals? Which I would not be opposed to i love my boxxer team jfyi

Now with flavor!!

BUM BUM BUM
    Trust me, specialized has no problem charging people more money

It would actually think it would cost a manufacturer more money to spec something different than stock I'd think. Who knows though.....they've certainly gotten fox to do some wierd things with rear shocks in the past.

I've got a solo air from specialized and a solo air from Sram sitting at my house right now. I might pop them open to see if there's anything different. The adjustments are identical at least.

Back to my other question though.......what's breaking with the coil forks?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol2Ne
    You know that the black box does not come inside the boxxer race, thus they must be putting team internals? Which I would not be opposed to i love my boxxer team jfyi
    whichever internals it is i'm not 100% - the mbaction article specifies fully. The point is though that it isn't the stock totem coil internals.. and that the totem coils you hear of breaking are usually the ones that came on the demo. Thats it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Back to my other question though.......what's breaking with the coil forks?
    that i'm not sure of.. mine (not from spesh) has never had a problem.. I'm curious to know what the deal is too... someone else on here probably knows.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the spesh totem that keeps breaking. Sram was just going to keep rebuilding my forks. The bike shop I go to got me the boxxers so I didn't get the 100 because they aren't the normal totems. I think I will just try them.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Members who have read this thread: 0