Boxxer Team question- Mtbr.com
    rr
    I don't do PC

Boxxer Team question

Would a 6.5" steerer w/tall crown work on a 5" headtube and FSA Orbit headset?(1.5 reduced). Obviously there will not be room for a standard stem but would it work w/ a direct mount?? Thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    might be cutting it close.

if you really need to, you can always buy a new steertube.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Probably will be fine with a direct mount, but the tall crown isn't going to work with a 5" headtube. 160mm or 6.3" is the cutoff point going from tall to standard crowns. I bought my Boxxer slightly used with a Romic crown. Nice upgrade, and it has a bit more drop than the short crown but not nearly as much as the rs tall crown.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    my R9 has a 5inch headtube, and tall crown is ok. top crown is maybe less than an inch from the top of the stanchon.

Oh, So Interesting!
    with how many inches of spacers under the top crown?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    no spacers under the top crown.
    using a fsa pig dh headset, its an inch of spacers over the top crown. cut the rest off (im using a direct mount). i dont remember what the total length of my steertube is. ill take a measure when i get home.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Are the pics on the website the tall crown? Dave are you saying if the headtube is 160mm or longer you need the tall crown to fit and anything shorter will work w/standard crown??

The seller is saying the fork came off a L frame and fit fine with the 6.5" steerer, my concern is not the tall crown but whether the steerer will be long enough for the 5" headtube, headset and the upper crown, how thick is the upper crown? He's also saying a flat crown will give me more steerer space, how's that??

Sorry for all the questions, never owned/installed a DC fork

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the pics on the site are tall crown. i think all boxxers come with tall. youll be fine with a tall crown...if your steerer isnt too short.

Oh, So Interesting!
    If you have a 5" ht and use a pig headset you'll be at ~6", which is close enough to use the tall crown. If you use a zero-stack the tall crown will attach to the stanchions too close to the bottom crown, which will put too much leverage on the top crown.

I am using a pig bottom and zero stack top... so you can mix and match to get the ride height/handlebar position you want....

It sounds like if you use the pig you won't have enough steerer, (maybe, it'll be close) but you can use the tall crown. If you use a zero-stack you'll have enough steerer, but will you can't use the tall crown anymore. Both steerer and top crown are about $90, you might have to bite the bullet and buy one part (keep in mind the Romic, it might be perfect).

Confused enough yet?

I can post a pic of my setup with ht lenght when I get home tonight...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    just measured...steertube is 8".
    5" headtube, FSA Pig DH headset, direct mount...and i have 1"of spacers on top.

....so ya...6.5" is either not possible or cutting it reeaallly close

Oh, So Interesting!
    Also.... if the frame has a 1.5ht, you might need a spacer under the top crown so the top crown doesn't hit the frame. I needed ~5mm under the top crown on my Uzzi.

Measuring my bike... 5.25" ht, pig/zero stack combo, and .5" thick top crown... 6.5" is about 1/4" too short.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hey thx for the info, I'm getting the fork as it's a killer deal, hopefully the steerer will be long enough.

The seller is saying a flat crown would give me more steerer space as well, is this true? Not seeing that

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Hey thx for the info, I'm getting the fork as it's a killer deal, hopefully the steerer will be long enough.

The seller is saying a flat crown would give me more steerer space as well, is this true? Not seeing that
    flat crown....tall crown...doesnt make a diff. if the steer tube isnt long enough for double crown it doesnt matter. but like i said, u can always buy another steer tube for about 100 bucks.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    He's also saying a flat crown will give me more steerer space, how's that??
    Check the space between the top headset cup and the bottom of the top crown. There is a 5mm spacer in there thats needed to clear the frame. You might not need a spacer with the short crown, and the leverage would be better with the top crown at the top of the stantions. However, you'd need to run a zero stack headset which would cut ride height a little bit, it will probably make less than half a degree difference in hta compared to a pig, but it might be slightly noticable. I think the zero stack is better on top because you can run your handlebars lower... but its all personal preference and makes only very slight changes in ride height and handlebar position depending on how you set it up. You can do all the math to make sure it fits... pigs are about 13mm per side, zero stack is about 5mm, plus any spacer you need under the top crown, plus your top crown width.

Members who have read this thread: 0