Boxxer seal leak- Mtbr.com
    Downhill fan

Boxxer seal leak

Well it was bound to happen after 2 seasons of use. My 2011 Boxxer r2c2 fork has a leaky seal on the left side. I bought it new and it has been an incredible fork until it started to slowly leak on my last 2 runs at Highland Mountain bike Park yesterday. The boxxer seals have been great as evidenced by 2 years of maint. free bliss. My question is after reading up on this should I go with the OEM Rockshox seals or the Enduro seals? Slick Honey seems to be the recommended grease to use on assy. I am a very technical person (i am a copier technician by trade) so I may try to do the job myself. How hard is it to do? Any recommendations are appreciated!
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by #Cyclelife View Post
    Well it was bound to happen after 2 seasons of use. My 2011 Boxxer r2c2 fork has a leaky seal on the left side. I bought it new and it has been an incredible fork until it started to slowly leak on my last 2 runs at Highland Mountain bike Park yesterday. The boxxer seals have been great as evidenced by 2 years of maint. free bliss. My question is after reading up on this should I go with the OEM Rockshox seals or the Enduro seals? Slick Honey seems to be the recommended grease to use on assy. I am a very technical person (i am a copier technician by trade) so I may try to do the job myself. How hard is it to do? Any recommendations are appreciated!
    easy and the enduro seals stick. you should also service your fork more then once every 2 season

Downhill fan
    So use the OEM Rockshox seals? I know I should service it more often so I'm told LOL.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Broken but on the mend
    yes the oem ones work best i have found. the enduro seals were good but i felt they were sticky and never really broke in. your lucky your fork lasted that long. by the end of the season for me my seals are shot. but it is really dusty where i am

Downhill fan
    Any tips on replacing them. I've watched some YouTube vids and have the service manual as well. 10ML of oil 15w oil? Do you have any preference on oil type and quantity?
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Broken but on the mend
    Any tips on replacing them. I've watched some YouTube vids and have the service manual as well. 10ML of oil 15w oil? Do you have any preference on oil type and quantity?
    use the recomeneded tq specs on everything. clean everything really well.. dont use to much greese. i use AMS oil in my forks. works well and its good stuff but if you can get any then just see what your local shop has

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Why were Enduro seals ever popular? Ever seen them on a Fox fork....you'll need new uppers within a month or so. I put Enduro seals and Chris King headsets in the same category.

OE seals, remove the sticky grease RS packs them with, apply a thin film of Slick Honey, 15-25ML of ~15wt lubricating oil in the lowers.

mtbr member
    I ran Enduro seals on my Boxxer for a solid year with no leaks, sticking, or rubbing. I went thru 3 sets of OEM seals in 6 months and then switched to Enduro. Maybe I got lucky, but they were way better than OEM

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I ran Enduro seals on my Boxxer for a solid year with no leaks, sticking, or rubbing. I went thru 3 sets of OEM seals in 6 months and then switched to Enduro. Maybe I got lucky, but they were way better than OEM
    they last longer for sure and you wont have leaks with them but they do stick way more cuz they are so heavy duty. if you lube them up with for fork oil before you ride they are fine but if you forget you can feel the fork slow down

Downhill fan
    Since only the left side is leaking would it be ok to replace the seal on just the left side? Stupid idea??
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Broken but on the mend
    Since only the left side is leaking would it be ok to replace the seal on just the left side? Stupid idea??
    to quote you " its a stupid idea". your going to have the fork taken appart you cant just buy one seal. do it right or leave it be. also thats a good way to mess the fork up by only maintaining one side

Downhill fan
    Good enough for me bro. I'll do both.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Broken but on the mend
    good call

Downhill fan
    So both left and right sides take 10ml of 15wt oil from what I'm reading in the service manual. Conflicting reports in this post have me leaning towards still getting the RS seal kit.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    After 2 years you need more then seals bushings perhaps.

Broken but on the mend
    yes and yes. the enduro seals are not horrible and they last alot longer but you need to put fork oil on the stantions before you ride to help it from not being sticky. th oem seals are fine i would just suggest at the end of each summer servicing the fork and also if you go on a muddy or dusty ride clean the dust wipes off really well. it helps dirt not get in the seals and oil

Downhill fan
    I have always kept the dust seals super clean. Prob why they lasted 2 years LOL. From here on out I will do them at the end of every summer. I'm going to buy the seal install tool as well.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I have always kept the dust seals super clean. Prob why they lasted 2 years LOL. From here on out I will do them at the end of every summer. I'm going to buy the seal install tool as well.
    yes 10 mil in each leg..
    Its all a piece of cake, really.. go to home depot and get some PVC pipe attachments to use as a seal press and dust wiper press instead of buying the expensive tool.

I find that if you change your oil and regrease with slick honey regularly, your seals will last a very long time. Also, you get used to how nice it feels after the servicing.

In the summer I try to do it monthly, overkill maybe, but it takes 20 minutes or so, grab a brew, work on the bike, good use of down time for me..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Downhill fan
    What size PVC piping should I get instead of the install tool? Any recommendations as to what to get for oil, where to get it and where to get the slick honey? I have a local bike shop but not sure if they have that stuff and dont want to pay through the nose for it either LOL.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I can't remember the exact size, I took my boxxer lower to Home Depot and sized it up..

any 15w oil is fine.. slick honey is pricey but lasts forever.. I got mine online at Pricepoint I think
    BBZ

Downhill fan
    Update... finally did the oil seals, dust wiper bushings and oil in my Boxxer. Easy job and it will be regular maint. a few times a season I think. Took step by step photos too.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Glad to Be Alive
    lets see....14 years of riding marzocchi and DVO and not one seal replacement....not one
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    lets see....14 years of riding marzocchi and DVO and not one seal replacement....not one
    Clearly this guy does not ride enough
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    At the rate you buy new stuff? Not surprising XD

Downhill fan
    The Boxxer is what I have so its what I have to work with. I dont mind doing the maint. It was actually pretty simple. I bought it new 2.5 years ago and it lasted almost 120 hours of riding before the seal let go. I'd say I pushed it LOL. Still looks in great condition though.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    Clearly this guy does not ride enough
    back to riding 16 days a month or 4 days a week

Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    At the rate you buy new stuff? Not surprising XD
    Shiver 2001-2006
    888 2006 -2010 ( fork ridden by another guy still 2014)
    888 Ti 2010 -2013
    2013 DVO Emerald till now
    z-1 wedge 4 years
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I use Enduro seals on all my fork rebuilds. The key is buying them from Real World Racing (Chris is an awesome person to deal with). They machine the regular Enduro seals and remove redundant wipers to lessen the stiction.

OEM seals on my Boxxers lasted half a season (leaked the entire time too). The Enduro replacement has been there one year and not even an oil ring, and it's buttery smooth. My Zoke 55s were the same story (one year old OEM seals installed by the factory and leaked immediately). Just replaced them last week and the fork feels like a Pike (well, I'm exaggerating. But the fork felt so good I was taking choppy stuff with AM bike like I was on my DH bike).