Boxxer Ride- Mtbr.com

Thread: Boxxer Ride

PUNKROCKER!

Boxxer Ride

Does anyone know anything about the Ride? I'm thinking about getting one for my Coiler. ANY info would be appreciated. How well is the U-TURN feature? Is it like ETA or TALAS?
    TOP OF THE MORNIN TO YA!
    To the wee little [email protected]#DS, I say POGUE MAHONE!

Pro Crastinator
    might as well get a junior t, it will last you longer......

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    might as well get a junior t, it will last you longer......
    He wants it because it has travel adjustment on the fly. Not a single one of the Zoke DC forks have that feature.

Uturn works great. It's super reliable and simple. However the damping on the fork sucks.

If a long travel double crown fork is your main priority, you have two options:

Ride - travel adjust , but crappy damping
    Marzocchi JrT - no travel adjust, still crappy damping
    Marzocchi SuperT - no travel adjust, excellent damping

It's either travel adjust or good damping, too bad you can't have both.

2004 Super T can be had for $500 new, if you look around. It's your best choice.

Pro Crastinator
    when it comes down to it, when the u-turn is broken and the boxxer leaks like crazy, the junoir t will still be kicking......

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    when it comes down to it, when the u-turn is broken and the boxxer leaks like crazy, the junoir t will still be kicking......
    While I cannot attest to the durability of the Uturn on a long travel fork, I will say I've never had issues with either of my Uturn Psylos. Also with regard to the leaking Booxer issue, since the compression dampers of the new (late 04's & new 05's) RS BoXXers has been ported better it shouldn't be an issue, that and the fact the Ride doesn't have a compression damper.

Old BoXXers leaked alot due to blow off from the compression dampers ports being too small, hence the reason Romic drilled them and RS enlarged them in the 04 & 05's.

PUNKROCKER!
    First off, I have a 66vf on it now, and yes, I am looking for an adjustable travel fork. Marzocchi has the Z1FR1 which rocks (I am a big Marz. fan), but the travel range of the Ride has me interested. As for the JrT, Why would I want to put an overrated Dropoff Triple on my front? Did I ask you for a ENTRY LEVEL dual crown fork? NO, I asked about the 2005 Rockshox Boxxer Ride. Now if you have a fork that DOES fit my bill, please speak up. If I want a non travel adjustable dual crown, I'd just grab this!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TOP OF THE MORNIN TO YA!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by overkillphil
    ....... Did I ask you for a ENTRY LEVEL dual crown fork? NO, I asked about the 2005 Rockshox Boxxer Ride.....
    you are beyond help if you truely think this is not an entry level piece of crap....

mtbr member
    you are beyond help if you truely think this is not an entry level piece of crap....
    I concur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

jzt
    mtbr member
    i have one on my Bullit. I have to pedal up to go down, so anything helps. And the 2 in of height adjustment does help a bit, esp on the really steep parts. I even race DH on it, but I do need to swap out the springs for something softer.

however, if you won't be climbing gradients of more than 15-20deg (just an estimation), then don't bother as I don't think it'll make much difference. A fork like that should also go on a bike with a granny ring, IMO, since the main purpose of the adjustment is climbing ability.

Basically there's nothing, really, in its class - 178mm of ADJUSTABLE travel. If I didn't have to climb so much, I'd have gotten a 66.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by jzt
    i have one on my Bullit. I have to pedal up to go down, so anything helps. And the 2 in of height adjustment does help a bit, esp on the really steep parts. I even race DH on it, but I do need to swap out the springs for something softer.

however, if you won't be climbing gradients of more than 15-20deg (just an estimation), then don't bother as I don't think it'll make much difference. A fork like that should also go on a bike with a granny ring, IMO, since the main purpose of the adjustment is climbing ability.

Basically there's nothing, really, in its class - 178mm of ADJUSTABLE travel. If I didn't have to climb so much, I'd have gotten a 66.
    cool bars...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Maybe... but it's got travel adjustment, which is what this guy wants. Why don't you actually think about what he wants, rather than what you want?

PUNKROCKER!
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_hoppus16
    Maybe... but it's got travel adjustment, which is what this guy wants. Why don't you actually think about what he wants, rather than what you want?
    This man is correct. I do a considerable amount of climbing with my Coiler and with every uphill, there is always a DOWNHILL
    TOP OF THE MORNIN TO YA!

Pro Crastinator
    ......Why don't you actually think about what he wants, rather than what you want?
    i have a few friends who run them and have had nothing but problems. they even also wish they had just bucked-up and got the better fork. they simply complain about one issue or another the whole time. the reboud damping on them is a joke, they are just straight pogo-sticks. i am trying to save the guy a future headache. while adjustable travel is a nice gimmick for some, the fork simply will not last a big guy like him. we will all be here in another few months helping him decide again......

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I found it unnecessary to use the travel adjustment on my Pike and Talas every time I wanted to climb a hill. It's really not that bad climbing with a tall fork.
    pay me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MD Bullit
    I found it unnecessary to use the travel adjustment on my Pike and Talas every time I wanted to climb a hill. It's really not that bad climbing with a tall fork.
    That may be worse if he's running a 7" Boxxer and wants to climb though.

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by overkillphil
    First off, I have a 66vf on it now, and yes, I am looking for an adjustable travel fork. Marzocchi has the Z1FR1 which rocks (I am a big Marz. fan), but the travel range of the Ride has me interested. As for the JrT, Why would I want to put an overrated Dropoff Triple on my front? Did I ask you for a ENTRY LEVEL dual crown fork? NO, I asked about the 2005 Rockshox Boxxer Ride. Now if you have a fork that DOES fit my bill, please speak up. If I want a non travel adjustable dual crown, I'd just grab this!
    sweet another AZ rider (random i know)
    All Mountain was so 2005

jzt
    mtbr member
    That may be worse if he's running a 7" Boxxer and wants to climb though.
    Definitely. i have another bike, a steel DMR hardtail with Manitou Black Super Airs at 120mm travel, that's WAY easier to climb with. The Ride, when reduced to 133mm, makes the climb just bearable. I can't imagine climbing up the trails I ride with the fork in 178mm mode - i'd be steering all over the place.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey man I just went though this exact same decision. Adjustable travel would make a huge difference on the climbs. There are certain grades I simply cannot get up with a slack geometry. I can’t get over the cranks well enough to deliver power without using all kinds of other muscles (which wears you down). I would argue geometry is more important that bike weight on the way up. So I think adjustable travel is an awesome feature.

The only 7” forks that do this are the Ride and the Sherman. The z1 is not tall enough for some bikes and desired head angles.

So you are stuck with those two, which sucks. The Ride has the best travel adjustment and no damping. The Sherman has a two setting travel thing (not a range), SPV and other issues.

I waffled back and forth between these for weeks but decided to screw it and just get an 888! Maybe in a few years my dream of the 8”-5” adjustable travel dual crown fork with good damping will exist.

bpuodt
    Even more important than adjusting for climbing, is the ability to adjust for the various types of riding.

He can easily set his hucker bike up to ride really well on tight single track if he drops the fork down a little. That alone would make it worth while to have an adjustable fork.

Can't he also upgrade to the World Cup damper internals with low and high speed damping?

Hey man, if you can wait several months, rumor has it that the 2006 Boxxers will get motion control damping, which is a gazillion times better than HC2. On top of that you will not have to worry about blowing a seal since the damper is self contained in the stanchion and puts no pressure on the seals.

If the world cup didn't cost so much, I would say just buy one of them and then put a Uturn spring in it.

Th travel adjust on the sherman was designed by Tyco toys. It's a total piece of crap. Worst travel adjust ever made, you would be better off wrapping a bungee cord around the crown and lowers to hold it down. It also doesn't allow the spring to remain plush, it turns rock hard and is no help at all climbing bumpy hills.
    Last edited by Robot Chicken; 06-07-2005 at 10:48 AM.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Can't he also upgrade to the World Cup damper internals with low and high speed damping?
    No.

...you will not have to worry about blowing a seal since the damper is self contained in the stanchion and puts no pressure on the seals.
    Problems already been fixed in the 04-05's.

If the world cup didn't cost so much, I would say just buy one of them and then put a Uturn spring in it.
    Great idea, but again, NO, it wouldn't work.

Th travel adjust on the sherman was designed by Tyco toys. It's a total piece of crap. Worst travel adjust ever made, you would be better off wrapping a bungee cord around the crown and lowers to hold it down. It also doesn't allow the spring to remain plush, it turns rock hard and is no help at all climbing bumpy hills.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    i love these forums. a person asks about a specific item with a key feature, and is flooded with responses from people who think they have a better option. i can understand and appreciate hucker's point about the fact that the fork has the potential for problems, and his desire to save the guy headaches. however, i also know the frustration of asking about "Product A" which has a specific feature you want, then getting a ton of responses about "Products B, C, D, E...." which are all fine products, but lack the key feature. with a bit of luck, this will turn into a war of words, and i can sit back with some popcorn and watch the drama unfold

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    No.

Problems already been fixed in the 04-05's.

Great idea, but again, NO, it wouldn't work.
    Lame

Well does the HC2 damper at least allow for a slow rebound? If it does, then going to a lighter oil will help the high speed plushness of the fork, while still being able to turn up the rebound enough to compensate for lighter oil.

Why the hell do they even put the crappy HC2 into the Boxxers? It isn't used for any other fork is it?

Let's just hope they put MCD into the whole line of Boxxers. I would buy a Uturn MCD fork right now if they had one.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Lame

Well does the HC2 damper at least allow for a slow rebound? If it does, then going to a lighter oil will help the high speed plushness of the fork, while still being able to turn up the rebound enough to compensate for lighter oil.

Why the hell do they even put the crappy HC2 into the Boxxers? It isn't used for any other fork is it?

Let's just hope they put MCD into the whole line of Boxxers. I would buy a Uturn MCD fork right now if they had one.
    Rebound speed is contolled by oil weight. Slower rebound = put in heavier oil, faster = lighter oil. Although stock it should have enough rebound control for most riders.

HC2 was also used in the Psylo and I believe (could be wrong) the old Judy platform.

While I've never ridden a MCD RS fork, from all the reviews I read to date it does sound very promising and would make sense.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Rebound speed is contolled by oil weight. Slower rebound = put in heavier oil, faster = lighter oil. Although stock it should have enough rebound control for most riders.

HC2 was also used in the Psylo and I believe (could be wrong) the old Judy platform.

While I've never ridden a MCD RS fork, from all the reviews I read to date it does sound very promising and would make sense.
    Are you sure about that? I read that the HC2 in the Boxxer has external rebound control. So in theory one could put lighter oil in for higher speed compression and then run the rebound extra slow to compensate.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Are you sure about that? I read that the HC2 in the Boxxer has external rebound control. So in theory one could put lighter oil in for higher speed compression and then run the rebound extra slow to compensate.
    Yeah it is, but the reality of the HC2 damping is that in order to really get is "slow" your going to need to run heavier oil. It just doesn't have the same adjustment some of the other forks out there do. Oil is the only way, that's what make the Race and Ride such "bargain" forks, lack of true adjustment. If the lower end forks had the adjustment your hoping to find then there would be no need to buy a Team or WC.