Boxxer RC or 888 CR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Boxxer RC or 888 CR?

I have a 2014 Rocky Mountain Flatline on the way. The bike comes with a Domain Dual Crown R, which I'd like to swap out for either a new Boxxer RC or a new Marz 888 CR. Previously, I've been drawn to the drops and jumps at my local mountain, but I'd like to spend more time on the other, gnarlier trails too. I see that both forks have a Low Speed Compression control, and I believe both can be adjusted internally for High Speed Compression. Any other factors I should be considering? I'm lucky to have been able to afford the bike itself this year, so please don't recommend higher end forks. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I know you said no higher end forks, but consider the Manitou Dorado Expert, it can be found online for only about $30-$40 more than the Boxxer RC. I had a few hours of riding on a Dorado Pro which is the same fork with a few weight saving goodies, the damper, spring, and all other internals are exactly the same. The Dorado has external high & low speed compression and rebound adjustments, plus you can open it up and reshim all the valving if you want.

My impressions were that it glued the front wheel to the ground better than anything else I've ridden. I was riding at Bromont which has everything from flowy jump trails to super steep rocky gnar, plus a former World Cup DH track. Compared to a Boxxer the main improvement was on trails with both braking bumps or other high speed chatter and steep sections with large rocks. The Dorado stays up in its stroke better and doesn't dive as much in the large rocks while still being able to completely erase braking bumps. With a Boxxer I could make it stick as well on the chatter bumps but then it would dive too much, make it not dive and it gets bounced around a bit too much, I couldn't have everything at the same time. If I were to buy a DH bike instead of borrowing them from friends, the Dorado would be the fork I'd have on it.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'm getting the fork at wholesale (yes, and still have to stay on a budget), and the Dorado's are not even close to the same price as the 888 or Boxxer from the distributor though.

Uphill? What's that
    I would go with the 888 cr over the boxxer rc. The 888 is a solid fork and handles way better than the boxxer.. You can also have Marzocchi custom shim the fork for your weight and riding style. I had them do it on my fork and my wife's and we couldn't be happier with the way the forks handle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I have a 2012 Boxxer RC and the dampening is lousy, not sure if they've made any significant chances since. The rebound is ok but the compression is basically useless. Unless I run it full open the fork spikes allot and almost locks out when taking repetitive hits.

Out of the two I'd get the 888CR for sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. After speaking with Marzocchi today, it looks like the 888 RC3 is actually in my price range as well. So it looks like that will be the move.

Professional Troll
    The 888 CR is a shockingly good fork. If you're at all price conscious, it might be worth going with the 888CR over the RC3.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Re: Boxxer RC or 888 CR?

888 for sure. I hated my Boxxer RC. I have the 888 rc3 non ti. Its chassis is stiffer, the boxxer felt flimsy. As if it would twist and deflect in rough terrain. I felt as if I was constantly fighting it or making small adjustments to keep the front wheel going where I wanted it to go. I tried everything to get the Boxxer feeling right for me over bumps and nothing worked. I tried extra soft, soft, and medium springs. Changed fork oils and lubed everything up with slick honey and still couldn't get it to even remotely feel as good as the 888 was straight out of the box. The boxxer just felt soooo sticky or like is wasnt active enough over high speed repetitive bumps. The 888 is just so much smoother and much more supple. Even though I know the Boxxer RC is near the bottom end of rockshox dh forks, and I'm sure the R2C2 or world cup forks are nice, I will never buy another after the experience I had with the RC. It just ruined it for me. Sorry SRAM but I'll be using Marzocchi in my future builds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk