Boxxer Problems Cont....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Boxxer Problems Cont....

I recently got a new 2005 Boxxer team, first the steerer was too short but that prob got fixed (thx man). But, when i installed the fork i had to slide the lowers down a little further to get it to fit on the bike. I just measured up the stancions 8" and it seems like to me that the lowers would not allow the fork to do its full range of travel. Is this the correct way to measure? Also as much as ive tried i have not been able to get the fork to bottom out close to the point where it would be hitting the lowers? Should i drain the oil and see if it would bottom out? or is there a better way to do this?
    Thanks

Premium Member
    You must have 203mm of exposed stancion between the lowers and lower crown when the fork is un-sagged.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by RuNDmC1087
    I recently got a new 2005 Boxxer team, first the steerer was too short but that prob got fixed (thx man). But, when i installed the fork i had to slide the lowers down a little further to get it to fit on the bike. I just measured up the stancions 8" and it seems like to me that the lowers would not allow the fork to do its full range of travel. Is this the correct way to measure? Also as much as ive tried i have not been able to get the fork to bottom out close to the point where it would be hitting the lowers? Should i drain the oil and see if it would bottom out? or is there a better way to do this?
    Thanks
    How are you trying to bottom out the fork? Just bouncing up and down isn't going to do it.
    If you actually have a full 8in from the top of the seals on your lowers to the bottom of the bottom crown you should be fine, but cutting it really close. I usually drop my crowns down to slightly over 8in just to be safe.
    It seems like you don't really know your way around a fork. I'd take it to a friend or local bike store who knows what they are doing before opening up your fork. Have them help you set it up and everything.
    Also, a picture would help up figure out what's going on w/ your bike. Do you have the drop or flat crown?
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    I have the flat upper crown right now, im thinking that i def need the tall crown b/c im like 1/4 of an in under the 203mm mark

Premium Member
    Do you have any spacers under your top crown? If so, take them out to give yourself more room. EDIT: If you have an 06/07 flat crown I'll trade you my 06 drop for it.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by RuNDmC1087
    I have the flat upper crown right now, im thinking that i def need the tall crown b/c im like 1/4 of an in under the 203mm mark
    Get the stock drop crown that came w/ the fork, you cannot run your top crown that low. Post in the classifieds on a few sites asking for a swap, more people want the flat crown than the drop and you should have no trouble finding someone.
    EDIT - There you go, Bicyclist already wants it, that should fix your problem.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    Do you have any spacers under your top crown? If so, take them out to give yourself more room. EDIT: If you have an 06/07 flat crown I'll trade you my 06 drop for it.

I have the 05 flat upper crown, it fits 06 and 07

Members who have read this thread: 0