Boxxer with firm springs kills me- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Boxxer with firm springs kills me

So i got my bike from a bigger guy then me with a rear spring rate on my Fox CR of 950lbs and my front fork is firm. The rear end is fine with me, i can still bounce around well enough but the front is almost stationary. When i push on it on the ground upside down it flexes well but riding its almost non-existant as suspension. Now, in all fairness I am 160 but am trying to gain about 20 lbs this winter to fit the bike better but I am wondering if the spring can
    a. heat up and become softer after riding
    b. be adjusted to be a firm spring but set another rebound or any adjustment to make it a tad more forgiving.

I know i can get another spring for like 30 bucks brand new or so but i dont want to just yet until i know more about it/ gain weight.

I have a 2003 Boxxer Race and have read the manual but if there is anything i have missed i would like to be schooled
    Turner DHR

My threads are typically awful. Thanks for putting up with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    dont heat, dont cut.....pull it out and replace it with the CORRECT SPRING FOR YOUR WEIGHT......that way when you gain the weight you can sell the lighter springs and put the heavy springs back in...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    also, i see only 2006+ when looking at fork springs, what is the difference in years? Would a 2006 med. spring work in an 03 if there both race?
    Turner DHR

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    dont heat, dont cut.....pull it out and replace it with the CORRECT SPRING FOR YOUR WEIGHT......that way when you gain the weight you can sell the lighter springs and put the heavy springs back in...

exactly the thing to do, beg, buy, borrow, or steal (well maybe not steal but you get the point) correct springs.... (BTW cutting springs actually makes them firmer)

also I suggest buying a rear spring that "fits" you... call FOX and they can recommend one for you and send you one... they are real cheap like $20
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun514
    also, i see only 2006+ when looking at fork springs, what is the difference in years? Would a 2006 med. spring work in an 03 if there both race?
    call up sram.... Phone: +1-312-664-8800 they should be able to point you in the right direction
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

Glad to Be Alive
    do not cut springs....even adding 20 lbs to weight are not going to help

get lighter springs...like mediums
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    im not saying i was ever gonna cut the springs or heat them. I was just wondering if they heat up during use and get softer or if i can set another angle by adjusting the crowns to get a better flex
    Turner DHR

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    you don't want flex you want movement, also have the fork rebuilt, it prolly needs fresh lube, maybe new seals too.

mtbr member
    Go to a dive shop and get a dive belt with ~ 50lbs to wear - then your spring weights will be perfect.

Members who have read this thread: 0