Boxxer break-in time and settup- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Boxxer break-in time and settup

Figured most of the people running boxxer's would be hanging here so....

I just installed an 07' boxxer race on my Kona. Im not sure how this fork should feel, as I ditched the POS drop off that came stock on it.

It doesnt seem nearly as plush as i thought it would be, but then again it only has a few driveway squishes and a few bunny hops on it.

I read on various sites that air sometimes gets trapped in the lowers and it needs to be burped. I followed the advice on a few forums about loosening the foot nuts, tapping the inners in, putting it at about half travel and tightening the nuts again. This seemed to help quite a bit. But it still doesnt seem as plush as I thought it would be. I checked sag and im getting about an inch of sag on the stock yellow spring (150 to 180lbs) and i weigh about 185.

I called go-ride this morning and they suggested taking it for a few rides to break it in a bit. So, first chance i get, i will.

Also, if i really try, i can get about 7" of travel out of it max.. from hard bunny hops etc..

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Don

Shop *****
    um, yeah. It takes a few rides, but once you have ridden it, you're going to want a new, more stiff springset, I can guarantee it @185lbs..

Living the High Life
    I have an 06 boxxer with the stiffest spring in it and I'm going to have some aluminum spacers made to stiffen it up even more, but then again I weigh 200lbs. But I'm sure you'll want to up the spring to the stiff one.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Bike Ninja |||
    Yup. it'll soften up real nice-like after 3-5 good hard rides. you'll notice a big difference after the first ride, however. I can put money down to say that you will want to put one step firmer springs in once your fork is broken in. i know i did.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    I feel better after reading these posts... hopefully tommorrow I can get out for good hard ride number 1 with it. any tips on where most people keep there compression and rebound adjustments at about? right now rebound is about right int the middle and compression is about two clicks away from full squish. thanks agin for everyones input

Bike Ninja |||
    Well, i wouldn't know what to do for your weight, and where all you are riding, but i like my rebound slower then most up front, and a good bit of compression.. but that's for balls out fast stuff. if it's real techy then less compression and quicker rebound.

Oh and btw, you're gonna love that fork fo' sho'.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I have about 5 rides on mine now.....Boxxer Team....

and it is a little more supple, but not a night and day difference. Maybe this will yet happen, but I can't see how - the seals are already loose enough that the fork sags under just the bike weight.....

I weigh about 150 and had to go down a spring rate from yellow to silver i think. I get about 7" out of them at the moment, and they are definately not too soft, even with gear on when I must weigh about 160....

Damping - I have the low speed compression on about 2 clicks of 6 to help prevent brake dive, and I have the rebound at about 2 1/2 turns out of 3 max. Less than this and the thing is a pogo stick!

Generally I like the fork, tracks well enough for a light fork and the control seems reasonable. I will no doubt get it set up better in time. Coming from the 36 VAN on my freeride bike it's probably less well set up at this point but about the same in performance.....

Oh, So Interesting!
    Play with the low speed compression and floodgate. I was running 2 clicks in on low speed compression and it felt sketchy on the steeps and unstable in general. 4 clicks seems to make the bike feel a lot more solid, and for bigger hits the high speed compression takes over, the floodgate being the adjustment that controls the transition between the two. A plush fork is nice, but brake dive, using too much travel on rollers and steeps sucks so take the time to find what works for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0