BoXXer Abuse- Mtbr.com

Thread: BoXXer Abuse

mtbr member

BoXXer Abuse

Im in the market for a new fork for my big hit and im looking at the 888rc. rockshox boxxer ride, along with the rest of the boxxer line up. I know the 888rc is an awsome fork, but I dont know if its in my price range(< or = $400). Can the boxxers take as much abuse, if so which do you recommend? How are they on large drops, stutter bumps, rockgardens....the usual...
    Thanks alot for your help.
    Erik

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by edray
    Im in the market for a new fork for my big hit and im looking at the 888rc. rockshox boxxer ride, along with the rest of the boxxer line up. I know the 888rc is an awsome fork, but I dont know if its in my price range(< or = $400). Can the boxxers take as much abuse, if so which do you recommend? How are they on large drops, stutter bumps, rockgardens....the usual...
    Erik
    The o5 888s are really tall. Keep that in mind. The o6 Boxxers with Motion Control Dampening are real nice. Or if you can get an o5 retrofitted with Motion Control (and you can with the Ride model for sure) then that would also be a good option.

mtbr member
    check out the boxxer ride and a used 66 or 888. if you get the 888 get some flat crowns to lower the front end down a bit.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Can the boxxers take as much abuse?
    Answer=No

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Erik
    You can deff find a 2004 888r which is the same as the 2005rc for $400 or less. Iv only seen one 2005 sold for under $400 but you can find them for around $500-$600. The boxxer's still feel sketchy Compared to the 888's but thats just my opinion...as for abuse, the boxxer cant compare to the 888

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Answer=No
    When the Boxxer is working and dialed in, it feels great. However, the Boxxer won't take too much abuse and does require a decent amount of maintenance. The seals will have to be replaced a lot sooner than on a 888, and the lower assembly won't take much absue--I punched a hole in my WC Boxxer. In addition to the hole, the dang fork would leak oil all the time...from the top seals, from the bottom, and from the hole I punched in the side. I liked the way the fork felt, but couldn't deal with the hassle...I had mine less than 5 months. If you're on a tight budget, look for a used Super T or get a Junior T and have Marzocchi do the Super T upgrade...it costs about $100--give or take.

Members who have read this thread: 0