Boxxer('10) Misssion Control worth it?- Mtbr.com
    arbiter
    Aug 2005

Boxxer('10) Misssion Control worth it?

From those that have ridden it, is the Mission Control Damper in the World-Cup and Team model worth the extra loot, as opposed to the Race's Motion Control IS?

How often do you really adjust the high-speed compression? I've adjusted my RC2 Fox 36 like 4 times in the 2 years I've owned it. I'm broke(relatively) and antsy, so I was thinking about getting the Race instead. Is the factory set shim stack/high speed compression set up relatively good right out of the box?

I don't intend on serious racing, but am picky about suspension. I ride in slower more technical east coast trails: Windrock, Snowshoe, and Wilson's Creek. Drop some science, people!
    I-9 drone, unauthorized jerk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Funny I was thinking the same thing. The Race seems like a real good deal. I usually set my suspension and leave it alone.

mtbr member
    I can say the 2010 WC rocks but as far as the adjustments I have no Idea Ioved the 2009 thought it was a kick but fork and I like the 2010 even better so far. Tracks better, less deflection and the damping is smooth, reall really smooth.
    I havent ridden a team since 06 and never ran a race so no comparision but as far as overall adjustments and dialing it in Im impressed.
    Is it worth the coin, Id probably go Team if it were $ issue but I like the range the new boxxers have. So as far as feel and deflection they all have that with the new stanchions.
    I play with my forks I like to tune once in a while or if its a little sketchy I like to dial it a smidge to smooth it out not all the time but the fact I can makes it nice... Especially at resorts when you go from NW to Socal and inbetween its nice to be able to adjust it a little ...

Either way great forks obviousley and youll enjoy any of them, sorry for no comparison just the reason why I opted to stay with the tuneability...
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    as was told to me when I was looking at Fox36s (I also ride a 2010 Boxxer team btw) if you know how / want to adjust your settings then get the RC2 if not then just get the R so applying that to the Boxxer.... I'll let you do that
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll_Jockey
    as was told to me when I was looking at Fox36s (I also ride a 2010 Boxxer team btw) if you know how / want to adjust your settings then get the RC2 if not then just get the R so applying that to the Boxxer.... I'll let you do that
    That's not a reasonable comparison. Fox's R and RC2 dampers are intrinsically the same design, just one has more adjustments. The same cannot be said for Rock Shox. They're different designs entirely.

bike-zilla
    Before 2010 motion control seemed to work fine, nothing has changed. I am sure mission control is better but the Boxxer race seems like a sweet deal- I guess it all boils down to if you want to shell out a couple hundred more clams

bike-zilla
    whoops double post

Now with More Wood
    I did end up getting the Race for the same reason you are facing now (the dough!)...and although I cannot offer a direct comparison with the Team, I CAN say that I am very pleased with my Race. The damping is smooth and well-controlled, it is easy to dial in the required amount of lowspeed compression just to keep the fork up through g-outs and under braking (although it does seem very sensitive to temperature variations...when it gets warm, or the sun comes out or whatever...you quickly find yourself needing to add a couple of clicks of compression)...as for hi-speed comp....for me, it feels perfect on bigger/faster hits right out of the box, I feel no need for anything else.. I'm no pro, but I ride a bit of everything...from DH to FR and trail, a lot of jumping, and drops up to 8-10f....and I have yet to come across a situation where I'd say "gee I wish I had the team so I could get just a bit more HSC and a bit less LSC on THIS trail..."...or whatever....
    Bottom out is perfectly handled (although it is actually easy to upgrade a Race with the adjustable bottom out assembly of the team as well...about 80 EUR to get the part from RS I think...I might do that at some point...just because...).
    Rebound adjust works well also..not that I ever run a lot of it on the fork, but it is there if you would want to. A couple of clicks, and it keeps the fork just quiet enough for my liking (still want it quite fast on the rebound).
    I'm a bit of a fit and forget type of guy though when it comes to suspension fiddling (I like to do it once, and when I'm happy enough, I leave it and work on my riding instead)...the Race suits me just fine. I'd get another one.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    That's not a reasonable comparison. Fox's R and RC2 dampers are intrinsically the same design, just one has more adjustments. The same cannot be said for Rock Shox. They're different designs entirely.
    Agreed. I was trying make a generalization on how much adjustment a rider will need in a fork, with out looking at the dampers specifically. I guess I over simplified things and did not really address the specific conditions that were give by the OP... Let me try this again....

There are two questions you (a fork buyer) are going to have to ask... Do I really need to tune my fork (e.g. being very picky on suspension setup), and do I need the newest hottest damper out there.

Only looking at the first question... If you are looking for plug and play ability and simplicity then rock the the fewer adjustments, if you are looking to really get the most out of your fork then go for more adjustments.

The second question is pretty self explanatory. I you want the newest hottest damper out there, generally is going to come with more adjustments... (e.g. Mission Control DH, FIT etc.)

For me when I was looking for a new double crown fork I first narrowed it down to a Boxxer. Then my answer to the first question, I wanted the adjustments, put me looking at either the WC or the Team. From there I have always like the feel of the coil forks as well as the consistency (not having to adjust air pressure based on air temp, altitude and other factors). So based on all of that I selected the team, and never looked back.
    "It sucks because that's what Boxxers of that generation were good at." -- XSL_WiLL

mtbr member
    The rebound is going to be much better on the team, worth the extra coin if you ask me. That was the main issue with the 2006-2009 Boxxer.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    The rebound is going to be much better on the team, worth the extra coin if you ask me. That was the main issue with the 2006-2009 Boxxer.
    First, we are talking 2010 (might be the same internals...who knows). But more importantly - what do you mean by "The rebound is so much better on the team"? The fact that you can individually adjust the beginning and ending stroke rebound, or the general behavior of it?

mtbr member
    Let me clarify. The 2010 Race is basically the same as the 2006-2009 Team with the exception of a new chassis.

What I was trying to say is that the rebound assembly on the 2010 Team is much much better than the rebound assembly on the 2010 Race. You have a simple port orfice rebound on the Race and the new dual flow rebound on the Team.

I would take the better rebound control into greater consideration while shopping between the 2010 Race and Team. The addition of the Mission Control would be a no brainer for me to spend the extra coin and buy the Team.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    Let me clarify. The 2010 Race is basically the same as the 2006-2009 Team with the exception of a new chassis.

What I was trying to say is that the rebound assembly on the 2010 Team is much much better than the rebound assembly on the 2010 Race. You have a simple port orfice rebound on the Race and the new dual flow rebound on the Team.

I would take the better rebound control into greater consideration while shopping between the 2010 Race and Team. The addition of the Mission Control would be a no brainer for me to spend the extra coin and buy the Team.
    i thought it was the same as the 06-09 Race...isnt the floodgate internally adjustable, not externally like the 06-09 Team?

i rode a '10 Race, and i dont remember there being a floodgate knob...i could be wrong though

mtbr member
    Not sure about the difference between the Motion Control of the two. From what I can see from research the 2010 Race has only LS compression adjust.

Like I said, buy a 2010 Team. Or get a 2007-2009 Team or world cup and get the Push Boxxer upgrade. 2006 Chassis and Moation Control dampers had some issues.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by futuristxen
    How often do you really adjust the high-speed compression? I've adjusted my RC2 Fox 36 like 4 times in the 2 years I've owned it.

I don't intend on serious racing, but am picky about suspension. I ride in slower more technical east coast trails: Windrock, Snowshoe, and Wilson's Creek. Drop some science, people!
    Then you're not going fast enough I used to get really sore hands on high speed sections (I do race) and with a Fox 40 I started changing the HS compression around a lot and eventually I eliminated it.

HS compression is NOT bottom out resistance so don't buy it for that. Its for braking bumps at speed, or screwing up a rock garden suddenly, it will assist in bottom out if you hit something hard and fast because it will slow down your compression rate.

So if you think you'll need adjustment for the things I mentioned then go with the Team.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Members who have read this thread: 0