Bottom out resistance on FOX 36 for light guys.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bottom out resistance on FOX 36 for light guys.

SO working on my fork right now (2008 Talas 36) and Im wondering if it'd be worth playing with the spacers inside of the the FIT cartridge.

Im thinking straight out of the factory the fork is probably "tuned" for a broad range of riders and being light, Im wondering if by changing the shims, it would actually give me a plusher ride or will it make the fork dive even more in its travel ?

From my understanding (and I could be totally wrong on that one) Im guessing all it does is pushes the bottoming resistance out further away towards the end of the stroke giving you a bit more "useable" travel before it ramps up quickly...

Can anyone here tell me what I should do ?Leave it as is or change it?...The fork is on my trail bike(Nomad) but I ride it like my DH bike ,on smoother trails...I don't do big drops but I love big jumps and speed...

banned
    From what I've seen about the design of this fork, you're not going to be adding or changing shims to the damper. Instead, the damper has a separate bottom out valve that is said to only affect the end stroke of the fork. The bottom out valve is internal. Supposedly, the amount of air in the ifp chamber of the talas side has an effect on the progressivity, and can be lowered to help improve linearity. This is separate from the air preload and requires disassembly of the TALAS unit.

Overall, this is a very tunable fork, but it requires some effort and oil as I've outlined. Go to the suspension forum, as there's a sticky at the top for service of these forks with links to the Fox site. I put a basic teardown for the oil change in the DIY section.

It should also be noted that several forks have been reported with combinations of no oil in the TALAS side and no/low oil in the damper side baths. This has solved lack of full travel for at least two persons, not surprisingly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    thanks Jerk_Chicken, I will search for more info in the suspension forum

dirt visionary
    I only weigh 160 tops geared and can use full travel on big hits(harsh) and 1" shy on most large and moderate. I have never experienced brake dive at all .I would check oil levels also as when I had my first oilchange/sea change I hade none on the side with the travel adjust and very little in the otherside. I was very happy with the feel and am even happier now that it has the correct amount of oil in it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Members who have read this thread: 0