bottlerocket vs. sx trail- Mtbr.com

Poll: Bottle Rocket or SX Trail

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! bottlerocket vs. sx trail

I am looking for a bike that will be able to do a little bit of everything. I am 5'11, 150 pounds 15 years old and I just started getting into mountain biking last year. I have been riding a Blur LT however I may have the chance to sell it and get a bike a little more for the things I want to do. I want to be able to do a little dirt jumping, and some freeriding. I also want to use it on at Northstar and maybe a little downhill. I don't want something super heavy because I will be doing some trail riding too.

I have been doing some research on bikes, but my favorites have been the SX Trail and the Bottle Rocket. They are similar in price. Which will be better suited for what I would need it for?

Thanks.

Bottlerockin'
    be a little different...go with the sx trail...so many bottlerockets out there now.
    great bikes but just so many

moaaar shimz
    So many SX threads

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler8
    be a little different...go with the sx trail...so many bottlerockets out there now.
    great bikes but just so many
    Says the guy who just bought a Bottle Rocket.

I love my BR, but I don't have any experience with the SX, so I can't really comment. The Tranny is versatile for sure, and it sounds like that's what you're after, so I'm sure you'd love it, but would it be better than the SX? I'm not sure.

Calm like a Bomb
    Well when do you expect tp make your purchase? I know the SX trails are gone for the year and that the last run of bottlerockets are gone, I am sure their will be more BR's in the next month. I was in the same boat as you and was coming from a demo 8 which I loved so I thought the SX would be my next bike. I am in the process of building the BR, but the main reason I went with the BR is the fact that you just hear constantly about how much of a fun bike it is, I am sure the SX is super fun as well, but the fact the transition is rider owned and it just seems like a different bike then most I went with it

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    SX trail is a nice bike but I don't have any experience on it.

I've given my BR the 6-month thrash test and it has been nothing but awesome. From pedaly trailrides, sessioning stunts at the local spot, to hanging with my bros on 8"+ bikes at snowshoe its delivered everywhere. At 240 lbs I won't give it the "bottomless" rating that a lot of others give it. It'll go as fast as you can push it, but I notice the shorter travel in fast, sustained rock gardens on pure DH runs. It does the big-hit thing amazingly well tho, it'll smoke a 10 ft drop like it was nothing. The biggest thing is the handling, it handles as precisely as my old rocky mtn flow hardtail did but with a lot more squish.

I mention this aspect of transtion to a lot of people also, if you buy the big red S bike you certainly won't be talking to fellow riders and owners of the company if you have a problem with your bike... Does specialized offer lifetime crash replacement at discount?

I haven't regretted anything about purchasing the BR, but the SX trail looks like a perfectly capable ride.

Oh, I'm 6'3"and size L fits me bang on.
    Dirty Bird DH Bitches!!! Aug 22-23 Hawksnest- Seven Devils, NC.

mtbr member
    Depends on whether you want brake jake... or not. Depends on whether you want a linkage driven single pivot or an actual FSR.

Go for the SX Trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Go TBC. Good rider owned company using a simple, proven,effective, reliable suspension design w/ well thought out geometries.
    Specialized has reports of poor CS, inflated pricing ,and multiple breakage reports (SX trail). 3 great reasons to stay clear.
    There are certainly other good frame choices in the market = to a Rocket. But Spec vs TBC is a no brainer IMO.
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    Since you posted in the DH/FR forum I assume you're going to be doing some DH/FR. For a do it all DH/FR rig I think the SXT is a superior frame to the bottblerocket. But Transition is a better company to deal with, especially if you're near their company HQ. I'm not sure how much the Bottlerocket frame costs but I'm sure it's quite a bit cheaper than the SXT. You will hear a lot of people swearing by these bikes so they are both pretty good.
    I suggest you get the one that appealing in your eye. Both frames are going to take time to get, especially the SXT.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Calm like a Bomb
    BR with a DHX 5 or Roco will run you 130, and SX will run you 1700...like I said the SX is gone for this year ad the BR's last run is sold out...I am sure you can find a deal with a BR though,,,,I would suggest Allen @ www.dropnzone.com I just received the most amazing service from them...I got calls, emails and updates over the last 2 months...I am even gettign a custom powdercoat and they are taking care of it all for me there...If you are goin to give a BR a try give Allen a call over there...He is also is washington near the transtion headquarters

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_H
    Depends on whether you want brake jake... or not. Depends on whether you want a linkage driven single pivot or an actual FSR.

Go for the SX Trail.

You ridden one? I just tore up snowshoe last weekend with my buddies, 3 of them on linkage bikes (vp-free, glory8, bighit) and I did better than keep up...

2-3" less travel and a rocker actuated single pivot and I was still mid pack with some good riders... I've noticed the occasional bit of brake jack but the bike overall still handles unbelievably well, and something tells me that if competent DHers on long travel "actual fsr" rigs didn't leave me in the dust due to the uncontrollable "brake jake," the SX trail wouldn't be the difference maker either...

You say "actual FSR" like that is something good or special, horsts and sps are just different, offering different strengths. Neither is inherently better. To me, the durability and simplicity of the bottlerocket make it a much better bike, but that's my very biased opinion. Others will be happy with their SXTs, its by no means a bad bike.
    Dirty Bird DH Bitches!!! Aug 22-23 Hawksnest- Seven Devils, NC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Got rid of my SXT because it was a creaky biotch!

Nice bike, but damn, can't Specialized make a bike that doesn't creak after 3 months?

Limited ride time on the BR, but from all the ones I've seen rollin around they don't creak. The one I tested seemed a bit stiffer in the rear than the SXT.

BR looks way better than the SXT too!

Also consider a Reign X1 if you can find one. Puts both SXT and BR to shame in just about every category. No contest, just a *****in bike!

I would rate the BR higher if it had just a couple inches more seat tube for the Large model, although once you point downhill those suckers can crawl down vertical roller like nothing else! Just wish there was a little more seat tube for pedaling up Galbraith and North Shore trails.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_H

Go for the SX Trail.
    yep both are nioce but I would lean towards the FSR linkage of the SX Trail too

mightwant to look at the Enduro too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I was is the same boat as you, i was decidiong between a Bottle rocket, and an sx-trail, i went for the sx because i got a little better parts(components) for the price.I payed 3950$(canadian) for the sx trail 2, 2007 model, if i would have bought a bottlerocket package it would have costed wayyy more. i LOVE BOTH BIKES, SO IT ALL COMES DOWN TO HOW IT FEELS, GO TEST RIDE ONE, THATS WHAT I DID, THAN MAKE YOUR DECISION,

CHEERS

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yep both are nioce but I would lean towards the FSR linkage of the SX Trail too

mightwant to look at the Enduro too

Coming from an SXT and Reign X1 rider, I didn't notice the brake jack at all on the BR.
    If you're a total hack who slams the rear brake down rock gardens, then you may notice. but the BR is for skilled riders who know how to ride!!!!!

Although the Reign kills em both in DH plushness.

A well made single pivot with a good leverage ratio and shock like DHX 5 really limit any difference between FSR and SP. The pivot on the BR is low enough to keep Brake Jack out of the rider. I think the shorter travel helps too.

The Turner guys have pretty much proven there isn't much difference as long as a single pivot is made correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks for the help guys

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Seeing as I own a BR it gets my vote as the most fun bike I've ever ridden!

mtbr member
    If you're going to northstar, the SX will be more well suited for that resort. Otherwise both are well rounded for everything you'll probably do, but northstar requires a little more travel than what the bottlerocket offers. Most ppl run full on dh rigs there....the place is not exactly smooth as whistler

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    So, would you guys put both the BR and the Sx trail in the same range??I mean, I thought the BR was only meant as a Slopestyle bike as the Sx trail is more of a "mini" DH bike, ...is the BR supposed to perform at the same level as the Sx trail i all fields or is there any field in which the BR (or the Sx trail) outperform the other??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Test ride an X1 before you buy either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    bottle rocket, similiar bikes, but the full seattube is a great help for climbimg, i have ridden a SX trail and the short seattube isnt the best feature

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionsf
    bottle rocket, similiar bikes, but the full seattube is a great help for climbimg, i have ridden a SX trail and the short seattube isnt the best feature
    Short seat tube?! I'm 6'3" and I use my SX trail as a trailbike and a DH bike, it works for everything! I can easily get the seatpost to full extension and then put it all the way down for the downhills.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmacheen
    Specialized has reports of poor CS,
    Such as?

You've obviously never dealt with them.

I have and every issue has been resolved with a replacement in about 2 days max.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Spesh has about the best CS in the biz.

Trying a little
    ya try bighit if you want a short seat tube. after that you won't complain.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Trying a little
    I will also say that this poll is for a do-everything bike. Everything is a lot. Dirt jumping on tight little jumps built for 20's. Doing 10' drops. Doing racing. I wouldn't want to race on the bottlerocket due to not enuf travel so I'll say SX. I haven't actually tried either one tho. EDIT: And I suck at racing, dirt jumping, and 10' drops.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

MDJ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stepanov
    Short seat tube?! I'm 6'3" and I use my SX trail as a trailbike and a DH bike, it works for everything! I can easily get the seatpost to full extension and then put it all the way down for the downhills.
    Same here - no problems. I think people tend to buy the bike on the small side to get that DJ/slopestyle feeling and then they run into the seat tube problem when they try to ride it as a trailbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Stock, the seatpost on my sx trail was the perfect XC height when it was fully slammed down. I did some measuring and had the seatpost cut shorter. Now I can slam the seat all the way down to the top of the seattube and still raise it higher than I would ever need for XC riding. The interrupted seattube on this bike is pretty long.

Portland, OR
    All of the bikes mentioned are really awesome. I have some experience on an SX and some on a BR as well, have yet to try out the Giant.

Specialized CS has dramatically improved over the years, so dont let the whole CS thing get you, both companies have great CS.

"mini DH Bike" I believe is a good way to describe the SX. slopestlye/freeride more of a BR. Specialized SX for 2008 probably the pro model has an awesome paint job and a good selection of parts. I'm waiting to see the price on them, I might get one. I think the SX might be a better "do everything" bike due to travel. I cant say much about the Giant, but I've seen them in person and always asked how people liked em' so far no negatives. so see if you can track one down and test it out. BR's are really fun to ride... But it kind of sucks when you get to the trails and theres like 3 of em just at the entrance. But the BR is a good bike as well. But I just dont like seeing my bike everywhere. that happened to me in 2004 when I bought a P.2.

4 words will explain my answer to your question:

Go Ride All Three.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Such as?

You've obviously never dealt with them.

I have and every issue has been resolved with a replacement in about 2 days max.
    my enduro broke in half after 4 months, they denied me a warranty because the frame "looked abused". other than the the broken off headtube, there were probably less than 5 scratches on it and very minor ones at that. the bike was very far from being "abused"...
    $1400 for a frame that only was able to survive 4 months is a hard pill to swallow...

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    $1400 for a frame that only was able to survive 4 months is a hard pill to swallow...
    And since then you've figured out that you shouldn't use an xc bike for a dirtjumper

I know your story but come on man, be fair. I had that same frame you did and rode it for 3 years with zero problems......but it was my xc bike.

My first dj bike was an enduro too. I ovalized the headtube. Since it wasn't built for casing doubles, I got a bike that was and didn't expect a replacement because it's an XC frame.

I cracked a chainstay on a different bike that was over 4 years old. There was a new chainstay at my bikeshop two days later. I also got an enduro sl a few weeks ago. The shock topped out before I even rode the thing. I called friday and there was a replacement shock at the shop at 11am on a saturday.

When we going to mammoth?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    And since then you've figured out that you shouldn't use an xc bike for a dirtjumper

When we going to mammoth?
    at the time, it was marketed as a light freeride bike, a light freeride bike should be able to do some jumping. either way, it was long ago and i'm over it and they seem to have turned themselves around...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    whta do you guys think of the new transition blindside as another option? or a used VP-Free?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    But I just dont like seeing my bike everywhere. that happened to me in 2004 when I bought a P.2.
    Pre-order an Intense 6.6 Slope Style frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cplax22
    whta do you guys think of the new transition blindside as another option? or a used VP-Free?
    The Blindside might be a good option. It'll end up heavier than a BR or an SXT, and will be a bit of a b*tch to climb with, but it'll rip going down. I don't like the VP-F much, mostly geo issues that don't suit my taste at all.

mtbr member
    have a look at one of these also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't get why the popularity of a certain frame would be an influence as to if you buy it or not. What is that ?
    All about the ride

Mountain Biker
    Dude, just get a hardtail??? solves all your problems!
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

Premier of Sonar!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by greenmacheen
    I don't get why the popularity of a certain frame would be an influence as to if you buy it or not. What is that ?
    well in most cases a popular frame is usually good, so many people would not buy it and like it if is not good.

mtbr member
    For me, the new STD by Cove's bikes, 7" rear travel and full seattube

mtbr member
    May 2004
    goodluck getting your paws on a STD,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,although it looks pretty dang hot! always wrap it boys
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

mtbr member
    The Bottlerocket kills every kind of terrain. You know where my vote goes.

Members who have read this thread: 0