Body protection for a new freerider/light downhil rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Body protection for a new freerider/light downhil rider

I'm looking to push my riding a bit, so want to get some protection. I was thinking knee-shin pads and elbow-arm pads to start with. As I'm just starting on the hard stuff I want to get some that arent too expensive, and have been looking at JensonUSA a bit.

I have looked through the reviews a bit, but am still unsure.

1) What should I get? I am going to be riding in both hot and cold weather, and will not be wearing them all day. I won't be wearing clothing over the top like I've seen some people, as I get hot riding as it is.

2) At what level should I go from a cross country helmet to something like a Zen with more protection, and then at what level should I go to a full face? Are cheap full face ones (like the Bell for $22 on JensonUSA just nasty?).

3) Spine protection that isnt a full upper body pressure suit ... does that exist?

I don't want to spend too much money, but I do see the logic is spending a few hundred dollars on protecting my body is I'm prepared to spend money buying bike bling like Chris King parts ... so if you believe that the only way to go is good stuff, then please say so, but if the $20 two year old stuff on special is fine ... then I will save my money.

Thanks,

-Chris

TNC
    noMAD man

Did you search?

Quote Originally Posted by keen to ride
    I'm looking to push my riding a bit, so want to get some protection. I was thinking knee-shin pads and elbow-arm pads to start with. As I'm just starting on the hard stuff I want to get some that arent too expensive, and have been looking at JensonUSA a bit.

1) What should I get? I am going to be riding in both hot and cold weather, and will not be wearing them all day. I won't be wearing clothing over the top like I've seen some people, as I get hot riding as it is.

2) At what level should I go from a cross country helmet to something like a Zen with more protection, and then at what level should I go to a full face? Are cheap full face ones (like the Bell for $22 on JensonUSA just nasty?).

3) Spine protection that isnt a full upper body pressure suit ... does that exist?

I don't want to spend too much money, but I do see the logic is spending a few hundred dollars on protecting my body is I'm prepared to spend money buying bike bling like Chris King parts ... so if you believe that the only way to go is good stuff, then please say so, but if the $20 two year old stuff on special is fine ... then I will save my money.

Thanks,

-Chris
    I just did a search for the words "body armor" in this forum only for the last 3 months. I came up with tons of hits from stuff on just shin guards all the way to full body suits. If you read those, and then have some specific questions, bring 'em on. Some moron even mentions the possibility of using the MX style stuff for bicycles.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

This may help...

ROCKGARDN can definitely handle you armour needs.

As far as helemts go I would definitely recommend a good fullface. There are lots of choices ranging in price from pretty cheap (bell, 66*) to bling-bling (Troy Lee). Personally I use azonic/o'neal MX helmets, because I prefer more protection and not having to replace my helmet everytime I crash (as is the suggestion from most bike helmet mfg.).

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    you have many options...

and most of it will come down to and the end of the day...personal preference and how much money you have to blow on this new gear...

as far as full faces go...i do not and guess i will never understand people who sell there heads short...i realise most people dont have huge ammounts of cash to blow on expensive helmets...but its your head...and i like mine how it is...dont sell your head short...get a good quality and good strength helmet...and to do that you dont have to break your balls with the bill...SIXSIXONE Full Bravos and above...Netti AXNs...Giro MadMaxs...are all top notch and wont cost you to much money and are probably all youll need at your stage of riding...and by that i do not in any way comprimise the stregth and quality of the mentioned products...many pros use this stuff on a regular basis...

keeping on the note of what you need and what you dont...i havnt seen you ride...but from my definaition of a Freerider/Light Downhiller...spine protection is not needed...as with the arm guards...i would personally spare youself the money and get better quality knee/shin guards and full face helmet than arm guards and other things that could be beneficial but are not entirly necessary...

as for knee/shin guards...you have endless choices here...and most if not all will be great regardless once you go over the certain level of quality...what i advise is look around at ALL the compainys you can find and choose the shin.knee guard that suits you the best...and by that i mean the desired ventiliation...protection and budget etc...my favourite and current shin/knee guard im using is a set of 04' Troy Lee Combat Guards and are the best ever guards i have ever used...and as for other guards that i would say are at the same level and the best you could get...would be (im not entirly familiar with over seas companys such as Rockgarden etc) Roach Rally FR/DHs or the RaceFace replica guards...SIXSIXONE Racelites/4x4s...FOX Racing 911/Raptors...or Dainese...

as far as what i ride with goes...

Troy Lee Design D2 Tank Helmet...
    Troy Lee Design Combat Guards...
    Troy Lee Design Sprint Race Shorts...
    Troy Lee Design MX Socks...
    Troy Lee Design SE Jersey...
    Troy Lee Design XC Gloves...
    with a Troy Lee Design Leather Speed Jacket on the way...

as you can see i dont sell myself short in anyway and only buy what i believ to be the best...doesnt nesecarily mean it is...as just as good stuff can be bought for half the price...also i just like to look BLING when i ride...

hope i was of some help...good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keen to ride

Thanks,

-Chris
    protection really doesn't matter when it comes to your expierience...pro and amature alike crash from time to time! I am a very new to the sport rider and I crashed pretty hard wearing a full chest, spine, knee, shins, helmet...etc and the one pleace that got hurt was my left kidney/lower back! I know the gear worked because I came out of it without a scratch...but my lower back and kidney took a major blow.

So buy the best you can afford!!!

H.D. Smith
    04 Kona Stinky
    www.b40huckers.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    race face/roach rally freeride biatch!