Body positioning.- Mtbr.com
    SS FR HT

Body positioning.

I was riding two days ago and i have com to realize i need to change my body position if im going to be riding more rocky DH. Right now, when sprinting im forward over the bike. this works fine. We im going over more rocky sections i have been letting the bike flow under me but it seems when im on the ground im forward but when there are more rock gardens im way to far back. the pedal is located about 3/4 up my foot and my brakes are at a 45 degree with the ground. The seat is as low as it will go.

When im far back it seem harder to pick my lines and I cant keep enough control over the front wheel to even follow through my line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

Glad to Be Alive
    it not about getting behind the seat.....more importantly it is about getting your top part of your body lower...
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

SS FR HT
    Yeah, but i tend to; on impact, push my weight back. i want to stay more center on the bike.
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

mtbr member
    You shouldn't have your seat all the way down, keep it up. Most ppl race with it around the height of your handle bars. And like SMT said just keep your center of gravity low, not back. You only need to lean really far back when your going down a very steep decent

SS FR HT
    i should mention i am riding on a 45 degree decent at times with a lot of rocks and drops. Black Diamond trails.

Bike Ninja |||
    Keeping the seat high is KEY to railing... Keep it about handlebar height. That allows you to have one more contact point when cornering. you can use your hips to whip the bike around more. it's hard to get used to but it works.. very very well.

As far as in rocky terrain, you pretty much want to keep centered on the bike. not back. Keep it low and fast. "attack position" is what i like to call it. you center of mass should be right above the BB, and arms bent looking ahead to pick your lines.

As it sits now, you sound like when things get rough you are tensing up and allowing the Bike to lead you. You need to lead the bike. it's just a learning curve, but you need to get comfortable when things get rough and maintain a neutral attack position.

raise your brake levers a smidge too. that will actually help a bit.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

SS FR HT
    Thanks, i will try that next ride. I quess it doesn't help that im riding expert level trails. thats my only option within 4 hours drive.

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapfreerider
    Thanks, i will try that next ride. I quess it doesn't help that im riding expert level trails. thats my only option within 4 hours drive.
    That does help. it helps you progress as a rider!

It takes time. Like I said it's primarily a learning curve of just getting comfortable on steep rocky terrain. a big thing as well is maintaining the mental thought process that "you are in control!"
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapfreerider
    i should mention i am riding on a 45 degree decent at times with a lot of rocks and drops. Black Diamond trails.

At that angle then you should be leaned back but don't over do it you'll take too much weight off your front wheel and that will make you get squirrelly. It's a little hard to picture but your center of gravity should be leaned back the same angle of the decent your riding down. Generally that is a good rule of thumb.

But you shouldn't be so far back that your on behind and or below your seat unless your going down something like a 70 degree decent...

SS FR HT
    So i should bend my knees more and keep my self center but just lower my center of gravity. unless on steep steep terrain. The steepest at the park is 55 and thats on the double black diamond trail. with a 45 degree 5 inch wide 35 foot log ride.

mtbr member
    Imagine somone dropping into a half-pipe. Let your head and body drop in and your bike will follow.

SS FR HT
    So i guess this all comes down to being comfortable in the air, zero g's, and free fall. which im not, i guess building doubles in my backyard would be a good benefit.

Flyin Canine
    watch some mtn bike videos where there are racers hitting rocky **** and you'll see what they are talking about. Those guys get low, low, low. This allows then to push or pull the bike forward or backward, up or down, when needed. Biggest thing is that your arms should have a lot of bend left in them. getting way back behind the seat was more common when people ran longer stems.

Members who have read this thread: 0