BMX V.S. DJ Hardtail- Mtbr.com
    Loves His Sunday

BMX V.S. DJ Hardtail

I just got to thinking and was wondering what makes people ride/jump a HT mountain bike instead of a BMX. Any advantages? Just preference?
    SAYNDESYN on the Iron Horse Sunday,

"There is no weekness. It is the bike that Jesus built after he gave up carpentry."

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrider489
    I just got to thinking and was wondering what makes people ride/jump a HT mountain bike instead of a BMX. Any advantages? Just preference?
    Because 26 inch wheels are teh best in teh world
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    because i'm 6'4" and i like to keep up with whatever the rappers are running on their escalades.

mtbr member
    I thought the same thing once. i snapped my hardtail frame in half basicly and had only about 70 bucks and bought a bmx to see how it was. a bmx bike will make you a smoother rider by the fact that they are rigid...they beat the crap out of your body i was doing a little urban and sprained both of my wrists..sucks but watever im still riding anyways! The mtbs are better to jump because of the fact that you have cushion, that one month period where i was riding a bmx made me alot better rider. now i get on my myb and i can get some big air and im more smoother!! i sold the bmx and now im getting a black market frame with a pike and some other sutff, i cant wait it will be so awesome!! i will post some pics when i am done!! also if you ever need the best prices on anything( mainly poeple in northern VA area) check out a guy name chad powers, he owns his own bike shope that is mobile so he will come to you to fix your bike and he has the best prices!! go to his website www.powersbikeshop.com , he has mainly bmx stuff on his site cuz he hasnt updated the thing in forever but he sells both mtb and bmx and knows how to fix a bike!! He can also order parts you dont have and it will be in 2 days he is quick in that dept.

Loves His Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Because 26 inch wheels are teh best in teh world
    Well I guess that's the case for some people, but a lot of people I know ride 24's. I know I will be rockin 24's when I finish my DJer.

"There is no weekness. It is the bike that Jesus built after he gave up carpentry."

Schmeow Productions
    i ride a bmx like mtb, and in aweek an even more bmx type mtb.

i'm not core enough to ride bmx, although i want one.

i really just can't afford it right now and i don't want to get rid of the mtb.

eventually i'll go back to 26 along with 24"or down to 20 along with 24".

don't be dissin the bmxer's......

Loves His Sunday
    don't be dissin the bmxer's......[/QUOTE]

Who's dissin the BMX'ers? I only posted this because I was starting to regret buying a HT instead of a BMX and was looking for some comfort in my desicion. But it was a good choice because I love dirt jumping and BMXs are so twitchy when jumping.

Glad to Be Alive
    easier transition from one bike to the other
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

the target bike basher
    Well, bmx is hard for a big guy like me and it made my back bad...and other than taht all the bmxers i see here all wear girls pants which cuts off circulation to the BALLS thus reducing BABY MAKING thus making you GAY .... my opionon atleast.......
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Here are some of me at the trails on a 20" BTW I'm 37 yrs old

dirt rules
    20" bmx just feels too small to me. I love my 24" cruiser though. The 74 degree head angle and short wheelbase makes you be precise. Or you eat sh*t and it hurts. You will either learn to be smooth or pay. OneBlueJoker has it right.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Barron
    You're my hero, Ben: I'm 35 and I've just gotten myself a second-hand BMX, but since I'm a newbie in this department, I don't hope to catch up with you within two years for progress is slow at this age... (to muster a bit more courage and don't loose all the interest in the likely event of a painful crash, I am wearing a helmet as well as both knee/shin and elbow/forearm guards; also thinking about spine protector – won't be much fun turning into a cripple)

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Barron

woot! nice jumpin old man. those trails look sweet! here's a few from indoors...oh yeah, I'll be 38 in 3 weeks...old age doesn't bite, just makes it tougher to get up after you stack!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by namaSSte; 09-29-2005 at 08:10 AM.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

650 yay area
    [QUOTE=JBsoxB]

QUOTE]

u can afford all ur new **** but not a bmx? right

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    easier transition from one bike to the other
    yah, for those of us that mainly DH, it's a lot more comfortable to hop on a 26" hardtail than to get on a 20" BMX bike. you still feel like you're riding a mountain bike. it's easier to go back and forth in your quiver.

Cheesiest
    Man, sometimes I think I am old when I am riding around town on my 26" trying to do stuff that I used to do on a 20". It's good to see that I am actually still young.

I just bought a used BMX at an auction for $10. I'm excited to get on the 20", but I think it will beat me up pretty bad.

mtbr member
    im 6'3, i cant ride a bmx bike, it just feels like a pixie kids bike.
    Also, i like the front suspension, you might not think its that significant, but it really is.
    also, disc brakes compared to u-brakes=no comparison, ubrakes hardly stop me.

having the option to run gears is nice too

Portland, OR
    I definatly go with preference. but I am odd though. I run a 26 in the front and a 24 in the back. it feels really good. I am scared of BMX bikes period. I feel as if i'm going to break it, the wheels are going to hit something and over the bars I go. BMX bikes also just feel plain bad. I am 6'2" and 150 LBS and I ride hard and I ride everything. so I would murder a BMX bike.

another reason why I dont ride BMX is because every BMX rider I have met has been a complete A** hole. as another rider mentioned, I hate how they wear extremly tight clothes. and then think they're all hardcore.

Stick with a MTB or of you have to 24" BMX feels okay.

-ride hard
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    I would murder a BMX bike.
    are you kidding?

http://students.washington.edu/dani1...y/metrojam.mov

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    no, I have owned 4 BMX bikes ... all of them have been trashed. 3 snapped frames and just about every part broken. the only BMX part I have left is some Weethepeople cranks. I am deadly on a BMX bike. but I gave it up when I kept breaking the crap out of them. though I will admit, some of the stuff I shouldent have been doing on it. I have only snapped 1 MTB frame and that was a P.2 ...wich I sent into specialized and got a new one. it hasnt broken yet.

but ya, I would murder a BMX. as I have done before.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by puttsey
    Well, bmx is hard for a big guy like me and it made my back bad...and other than taht all the bmxers i see here all wear girls pants which cuts off circulation to the BALLS thus reducing BABY MAKING thus making you GAY .... my opionon atleast.......
    arent you like 12? big guy. stop making ridiculous posts please, or if you going to do it, make it smaller so it doesnt drawn anyones attention

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by saviorself
    arent you like 12? big guy. stop making ridiculous posts please, or if you going to do it, make it smaller so it doesnt drawn anyones attention
    arent i like 16? and 6 2?so dont fuggin say anything if you dont know me and i like typing big so if u dont like it pry out your eyes
    Last edited by puttsey; 09-29-2005 at 06:32 PM.
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

Schmeow Productions
    [QUOTE=The Kadvang]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB

QUOTE]

u can afford all ur new **** but not a bmx? right
    no, i'm fuccking broke after buying all that stuff.

mtbr member
    i came from a BMX background and the transition for me was kind of like this. basically i was riding BMX and i new about freeride and was interested in it. BMX is nice because you can pick a decent complete set up for around 700 on dans comp which makes your budget not a huge problem. the nice thing about BMX is that doing tricks like tabletobs and turn downs is alot easier. they are very easy to throw around. but beleive me i road BMX and just got tired of the small rigid bike. i started riding MTB because i road my friends p3 and fell in love. it felt more comfortable for me and i was getting alot higher and my lines were smoother and it felt great. you will not regret switching after you start to see yourself progressing more. i also would of never done 10 stair to FLAT gaps on a BMX but on a MTB its no problem. MTB may be more expensive and not as easy to pull some tricks, its alot better for me. by the way im about 6'1 so i don't know if that makes much of a difference but im on the taller side i guess so thats one reason its more comfortable

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by puttsey
    arent i like 16? and 6 2?
    are you asking me if your 16 and 6'2''?
    either way, there are 6'4'' bmxrs who are better than you will ever be. its not to small, you just need to get used to it. oh and pants cant cut off circulation to your balls, and if you dont have balls that doesnt make you gay.

650 yay area
    the tall excuse is bullsh1t, plenty of bmxers are talll

mtbr member
    Anbody see Road Fools 7 where Van Homan launched out of one of the bowls at the Kona Skatepark up to a roof on a building and back into another bowl -- it is insane! All on a tiny 20" bike!

Sold my 24" Haro a few months back, going to stick with P.2, I'm not getting any younger, the suspension up front is helpful. Mad props to the guys older and younger that rip shiznit up on those lil' 20" bikes!

After riding 26" bikes, it is hard for me to ride a smaller bike, feels wacky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i rode bmx for a while when i was younger... i felt okward on my bmx. being 6'3 i had to hunch over alot. my switch to a hard tail was great. it made my riding much smoother and helped me progress my riding. your making a good choice

err, 27.5+
    I am another guy in the 6' plus boat. The BMX bikes are just too small for comfort. I rode bmx exclusively until I was 18. Once I built a dual slalom rig I was hooked. Bigger tires, gears, and suspension all make going big better. They are also a lot more comfortable to ride across town.

I have tried a couple of times since to ride bmx rigs. But the 21" top tube length on 20" and 22" top tube on 24" rigs just feels so small after having 23-25" top tubes on my mountain bikes. Also the uber fast geometry is harder to manage after adjusting to slacker mtb angles.

One observation on BMX durability: Just like in the mtb word there are varying levels of quality in bmx manufacturers. If you put the same level of care into part/frame selection that you do in the mtb world your bmx bike will be nearly indestructible. Anything can be destroyed with poor maintenance or poor form though

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang
    the tall excuse is bullsh1t, plenty of bmxers are talll
    ive got scoliosis or whatever, severlky crooked and flat spine, my physician told me i cant ride BMX, so again, dont talk if you dont know
    Last edited by puttsey; 10-01-2005 at 09:50 PM.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004

too tall?

huh?

you groms do realize that BMX frames are avaiable in different sizes, right? maybe if your mommies bought your BMX bikes somewhere other than wally world you'd realize that.

goto a BMX race and tell all of the 6 foot plus guys there that their 20s are too small for them...

misinformation at its finest: BMX bikes are too small for tall guys and girls
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    huh?

you groms do realize that BMX frames are avaiable in different sizes, right? maybe if your mommies bought your BMX bikes somewhere other than wally world you'd realize that.

goto a BMX race and tell all of the 6 foot plus guys there that their 20s are too small for them...

misinformation at its finest: BMX bikes are too small for tall guys and girls
    ive tried plenty differnet sizes, i thought in amaerica i could have the freedom of being uncomforatble on bmx bikes, look, i just hate bending over and it made my spine flat, and i like DH alot ore than bmx anyways

Members who have read this thread: 0