blind fold test- Mtbr.com

Thread: blind fold test

mtbr member
    May 2006

blind fold test

So I am planning to spend some money on a FR/DH bike. I need some pros/cons for the two bikes I am considering. Without giving out the brand and the amount, please offer your opinion in this control experiment. Both bikes will cost about the same amount as a online deal.

Blind fold Option 1

Crappy suspension design that works when you stay seated, but not really when you stand (0 pedal bob, not that it matters), but top notch components for a bike that can easily cost twice as much. Boxxer team, X9, Vivid 5.1, Juicy 7...

Blind fold Option 2
    Much more active suspension design, headtube angle adjustment, travel adjustment, but comes with Domain fork, Sram X5, X7, Vanilla R and Juicy 3.

Golden rule for me is I never keep a bike for more than 2 years. Sometimes I will just change frame and keep the old components if they are good. (Planning to keep my Santa Cruz BLT2 for the regular stuffs, and also b/c I have never find a bike that can manual so well so easily). Which of these two options would you guys choose? I am leaning toward option 1 since I change bikes often and can keep the parts and buy a nice frame a few years later. But the thing is if I get a crappy suspension that doesn't really work well, then why waste money and be unhappy for the next couple years.

Not really a big DHer, but I am constantly finding the BLT2 is really holding me back. The 69 degree head angle just isn't that nice when it get fast and steep going down. My riding happens mostly in Santa Cruz, CA.

What would you guys do? Thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    Bind fold Option 3 best choice

buy #2 with option with part upgrades....just charge it

but really....

no use riding a bike with crummy suspension......thats the worst....you will hate it...components you can get by with (do hate the juicy's though)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Crappy suspension that works when seated is a useless bike.

The only time suspension capability matters when you are seated is when you are climbing and since you posted to the DH forum I assume that heading down the hill is more pertinent to you than climbing up the hill.

However, it seems strange given the previous owner had a Boxxer Team mounted on it. So are you sure it is crappy and just not set up correctly?

mtbr member
    So are you comparing a Sette Vexx to another major company or what?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Both are brand new. Stock bikes from manufacturer.

Nope, not the Sette. To keep this experiment pure, I elect not to name the brand just yet.

But when I say suspension works when you are seated, not really when standing, think the old schwinn homegrown full suspension bike. The one that has the bottom bracket and chain stay as one piece, and is floating on the shock that attach to the upper triangle, hence a hardtail until you sit down. I will need to get the bike to the top somehow to get to the good stuffs going down, but pedal efficiency up the hill wont be that important on this bike.

Keep your hypothesis and comments coming guys.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    are you referring to the mongoose EC-D? I don't know a thing about it's suspension but it seems unlikely that a 2008 bike that listed for $3200 has a suspension behavior as you describe. The reviews here on MTBR don't reflect that either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It doenst seem to me that you are comparing like bikes if they are both stock with a team vs domain. Apples to oranges really
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

Commit or eat sh!t
    I would go with Option 4, which is a top end frame with top end components, but lightly used, and about the same price as your other options. Lots of deals on used DH bikes right now, when riders upgrade frames/bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Since you're obviously on a budget -

Transition Blindside - Bonus, it has a steep seat angle for climbing. Sounds like you might like that.

Yeti 303r - great frame and build for dirt cheap (relatively)

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    is this a serious thread? im confused.
    No, I'm NOT back!

bi-winning
    I vote option 2.

A downhill bike with poor suspension performance while standing just sounds like a horrible idea.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll
    So I am planning to spend some money on a FR/DH bike. I need some pros/cons for the two bikes I am considering. Without giving out the brand and the amount, please offer your opinion in this control experiment. Both bikes will cost about the same amount as a online deal.

Blind fold Option 1

Crappy suspension design that works when you stay seated, but not really when you stand (0 pedal bob, not that it matters), but top notch components for a bike that can easily cost twice as much. Boxxer team, X9, Vivid 5.1, Juicy 7...

Blind fold Option 2
    Much more active suspension design, headtube angle adjustment, travel adjustment, but comes with Domain fork, Sram X5, X7, Vanilla R and Juicy 3.

Golden rule for me is I never keep a bike for more than 2 years. Sometimes I will just change frame and keep the old components if they are good. (Planning to keep my Santa Cruz BLT2 for the regular stuffs, and also b/c I have never find a bike that can manual so well so easily). Which of these two options would you guys choose? I am leaning toward option 1 since I change bikes often and can keep the parts and buy a nice frame a few years later. But the thing is if I get a crappy suspension that doesn't really work well, then why waste money and be unhappy for the next couple years.

Not really a big DHer, but I am constantly finding the BLT2 is really holding me back. The 69 degree head angle just isn't that nice when it get fast and steep going down. My riding happens mostly in Santa Cruz, CA.

What would you guys do? Thanks.
    Sounds like a Scott Gambler FR20 2009 to me.

mtbr member
    Pick the bike more on geo and less on susp. Unless it's really messed up it can be healed with proper shock and adjustments and in case of geo that's not always so easy (even with adjustable HA).
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Sounds like a Scott Gambler FR20 2009 to me.

I was going to say the same thing with a Mongoose as his other choice. Both ride sweet by the way.

bike rider
    It's a buyers market. Don't buy either of these. Find something better. Someone just got a like new complete Intense M3 off Ebay for $1500!
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 12-13-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    It's a buyers market. Don't buy either of these. Find something better. Soimeone just got a like new complete Intense M3 off Ebay for $1500!

Members who have read this thread: 0