Blantant Camino Spam- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blantant Camino Spam

The Brown Santa, aka our UPS driver, dropped off our first batch of Hayes El Camino brakes. The distributor only let us get 4 sets of 8" and 3 sets of 6" but that should be enough to finally check them out in production form. I'd post more pics but the battery in my camera just pooped out, hopefully I'll have some detail images later on today.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

locked - time out
    Sweet - been waiting to hear, since I've been considering a pair for the new HT.

Xtremely Moderate
    Its pretty bad when you start to think brakes are sexy........I need help.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Its pretty bad when you start to think brakes are sexy........I need help.

PURRRRRRRR -TEEE
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

rollin
    they look juicy
    Last edited by sriracha; 05-13-2005 at 03:52 PM.

Old school BMXer
    I have El Caminos on my VPX, and my only real complaint is that the levers come to close to the bars before they engage - and I have the levers set damn far out to begin with, and I have the "power" set on maximum. I've rebleed the brakes (the trick for Mags), and it didn't change anything. The plus side is that there is a lot of space on either side of the rotors, so there is no rubbage!

For those who don't know, the El Caminos use different pads than the other Hayes brakes. However, I haven't checked yet, but it may be possible for the "standard" Hayes pads to fit. The lines and fittings are also all different, but I hear that some Shimano and Magura fittings will work. In fact, according to Goodrich, their line kits for the El Camino are the same ones for some Shimano and Magura kits.

I'm curious to see what will happen in a crash. On Mags, the levers would brake. On the 'Caminos, it appears that the perch may brake. $$$ OUCH! $$$

mtbr member

I think mine look better

But hey, your opinion may differ. It would be wrong, but different.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Couldn't agree more.
    How's that go? Oh yeah, buy Hopes! I'm loving the mono Ti-6 and mono M4 on my Free.

T.Dot Represent
    once a brake blows up when your ridin on a DH trail you never buy from that company again.. lol im never gettin hayes again!

but then again it looks like they have a lot better products this year its about time they stepped up their game!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    the thing about El Caminos is that all the parts on them are different from all the other Hayes.

Most people get Hayes, because they can find parts anywhere and everywhere, that option desapears with El Caminos.

Although I have tried them and it felt great. I would keep them, but Im afraid of falling and breaking them, not being able to replace the parts for the race.

They are mad sexy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by finchy
    once a brake blows up when your ridin on a DH trail you never buy from that company again.. lol im never gettin hayes again!
    This is something I hate about the MTB world, which hasn't been appeased at all by message boards. Usually if something blows up on you once, it's probably something that was a problem based in install or maintanance (or lack thereof). No doubt this was not the case with your brakes, as nobody likes to hear a major problem was probably his or her own fault. Anyway, I've been running Hayes since 1999 and have never had a problem on the trail that wasn't directly related to crashing hard.

I want to relate a story about product failure in one of our sister sports, motocross. When Doug Henry was testing one of the first production modern 4-strokes in 1997, the Yamaha YZ400F, the bike bogged on the face of a jump (probably due to a fuel pump problem) which was a pretty big double, about 80 feet if I recall. Henry broke both legs and messed up his wrists and back.

If this had happened in the MTB world to some guy on a message board, you can guarantee the YZ400 would have been gone from Yamaha's line in two years max. However, moto guys realize that sometimes products need improvement, and sometimes they get assembled wrong, and sometimes it's user error that leads to damage. It's usually not because an entire company, like Hayes, "sucks." If you see a company that has a laundry list of problems that are never addressed (there are plenty of these companies but this isn't the place for that list), then yeah, it makes sense to bag on them to prevent other riders from having the same problems. But I think you'll find that a lot of the riders who have problems with Hayes stuff don't know how to bleed brakes correctly, especially with the newer G2 caliper, they don't install the ferrules on the line correctly, and they blame Hayes for problems like lines getting ripped from the caliper when they get hung up on a branch while the bike is tumbling down a cliff, or the master cylinder getting damaged when the lever blade hits a rock the wrong way. This stuff happens, and it's why they make replacement parts.

Anyway, end rant.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

mtbr member

I Love Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    This is something I hate about the MTB world, which hasn't been appeased at all by message boards. Usually if something blows up on you once, it's probably something that was a problem based in install or maintanance (or lack thereof). No doubt this was not the case with your brakes, as nobody likes to hear a major problem was probably his or her own fault. Anyway, I've been running Hayes since 1999 and have never had a problem on the trail that wasn't directly related to crashing hard.

I want to relate a story about product failure in one of our sister sports, motocross. When Doug Henry was testing one of the first production modern 4-strokes in 1997, the Yamaha YZ400F, the bike bogged on the face of a jump (probably due to a fuel pump problem) which was a pretty big double, about 80 feet if I recall. Henry broke both legs and messed up his wrists and back.

If this had happened in the MTB world to some guy on a message board, you can guarantee the YZ400 would have been gone from Yamaha's line in two years max. However, moto guys realize that sometimes products need improvement, and sometimes they get assembled wrong, and sometimes it's user error that leads to damage. It's usually not because an entire company, like Hayes, "sucks." If you see a company that has a laundry list of problems that are never addressed (there are plenty of these companies but this isn't the place for that list), then yeah, it makes sense to bag on them to prevent other riders from having the same problems. But I think you'll find that a lot of the riders who have problems with Hayes stuff don't know how to bleed brakes correctly, especially with the newer G2 caliper, they don't install the ferrules on the line correctly, and they blame Hayes for problems like lines getting ripped from the caliper when they get hung up on a branch while the bike is tumbling down a cliff, or the master cylinder getting damaged when the lever blade hits a rock the wrong way. This stuff happens, and it's why they make replacement parts.

Anyway, end rant.
    on other people's bikes.

Rick