Birds and guardrails, oh my!- Mtbr.com
    USB Rep'n

Birds and guardrails, oh my!

so last night I get the kids settled in, wife's asleep already and I start working on some baseball stuff I had to do (Im lucky enough to be league commissioner - joy!). anyway, I finally decide I need a break so around 10:30, I step away from the computer, throw on a helmet (just to spite WCH) and some shin guards and head out the door with the bike (ignoring the fact that it's in the low 20's) for some solo urban. I was really just looking to blow off some steam not really go hit anything crazy.

The first few drops go off as expected and I'm starting to feel ok and move up to a 4.5' loading dock. Smoooooth. Cool, I'm thinking so I decide to try something a bit differernt. There's this weird guardrail on top of a 2' wall (as if you need a guardrail on a wall in a parking lot). anyway, it starts flat to the wall and then goes vertical (as guardrails are prone to do) and has the benchmark "channel" oin the middle. sweet! just wide enough for a tire and a perfect run in. I hop up onto the wal, no problem so far, and pedal towards the guardrail. into the channel and all is well as the guardrail begins to turn towards vertical. here's where lack of thinking during a solo urban ride comes in...my bike is getting increasingly parallel to the ground at this point when it dawns on me that my tire is squarely in the "channel" and it ain't coming out....I think you all know what happens next.

I pick myself up and look around quickly to see if anyone witnessed my stupid antics. Whew! coast is clear so I pedal away as quickly as possible to avoid embarassment. OK, what's next? looking, looking,hey there, what's that? I notice a small wall I never noticed before. right behind the city pool, there's a sweet little 12" wide, 4' high wall that you have to bunnyhop about 1.5' to get onto. nothing spectacular, but it looks fun enough. nice run up and I pop onto the wall. cool, Im thinking, then it happens. I should actually say, they happen. yup, a pair of evil winged beasts come shooting up from the edge of the wall amking enough noise to wake the dead. from a distance, it would be uneventful but when you're balancing on a 4' wall you intend to drop off, at night, alone and these foul beasts decide to screw with you, things happen. sure enough, I almost messed myself and it startled me so much that I fell right off the side of the wall. my heart ws racing a million beats a minute in a wtf was that all about kinda way when I just started laughing. holy [email protected] was that funny. too bad no one was there to see that one.

if you're still awake, that's about it. no great story about me winning a dh on bare rims or hitting the elusive 59' drop to flat, just an everyday urban jaunt turned humorous by stupidity an nature. sometimes, great rides aren't spectacular at all ya know.? by the time I got home, I felt rejunvenated. I sat in my driveway, not cold anymore, and checked out the sky, awesome clear night out. I realized how lucky I was to be able to ride a bike and with that thought in my head, I went inside, put things away and hit the bed, better off for having had a ride.

Peace all,
    Scott
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    ......................................(just to spite WCH) .......................................

Peace all,
    Scott
    ummm.... yeah i saw that

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    ummm.... yeah i saw that
    it's because I care lol!

Hey, answer me a question if you will...

I posted on hcor but you'll have an answer. I am hitting Hilton Head with the family for 12 days (yeah, can't wait since it snowed here two days ago!). Anyway, there is a free outdoor skatepark there and its bike friendly. I have not been on the 20 much lately at all but Im wondering if I hsould just put the hookworms on the mtb or take the 20. What do you think? Sometimes I feel sketchy on the little bike when I haven't been riding it much.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    it's because I care lol!

Hey, answer me a question if you will......................
    good one.....

if it's possible, i'd drag both. and it also depends on how much time you think you will be at the park. if you may be there for a while, bring the little bike. it usually only takes me about 20 minutes to re-adjust to the BMX if i haven't ridden it is some time. usually parks are more fun on the little bike as well. typically the trannys can be tight for a mtb and bowls just a little too small.

but if all you can bring is the mtb, by all means, throw those hookworms on and ride that sukka...... a little parking is better than none

Members who have read this thread: 0