Bikes on plane to Fontana and back to SFO?- Mtbr.com
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja

Bikes on plane to Fontana and back to SFO?

Thinking of heading down there for the race at the end of the month... My bike is already down there, is it easy enough to bring the bike back with me to SFO? How would i need to pack my bike?

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    How would i need to pack my bike?
    Call a bike shop down there and ask them to save a box with all the packing material. Take off the pedals, front wheel and handlebars and use the packing material to repackage. For details just do a google search or youtube. Or you could pay the bike shop to pack it for you. Prolly cost around fiddy bucks.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Thinking of heading down there for the race at the end of the month... My bike is already down there, is it easy enough to bring the bike back with me to SFO? How would i need to pack my bike?
    It's not a problem. If this is your DH bike, you may need to take the fork off, just to get it to fit in the box.

Make sure the brake rotors are hitting anything when in the box.
    Use your pads and camel back to protect the frame.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    would it be easier to ship with ups or something rather than risk airport personnel?

Crazed Country Rebel
    would it be easier to ship with ups or something rather than risk airport personnel?
    Taking your bike on a plane will cost between $50 and $80. Shipping will cost about the same.

Shipping requires more lead time - you have to pack up the bike and ship it atleast 3 business days in advance. And you have to have a place to ship it to. Depending on where you're travelling to, this may or may not be feasable.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I haven't flown a bike since last Spring. UPS used to be more expensive due to the size of the box a DH bike requires. Last time I did UPS was like three years ago and it was $100 or so each way. However, when I flew my trail bike last Spring, the stupid airlines had added all these surcharges for baggage. I got hit with a bike fee (which for this airline had just been increased to $100) and an extra bag fee on top of that for $25. These fees were charged each way! I ended up paying $250 to fly my bike - more than my own ticket. Needless to say, I was pissed and made a scene (on the way home, of course, so as not to have my bike get "lost" for the trip) only to have the attendant tell me I "was just lucky they would even allow me to fly it".

Check your airline website. Usually they post the fees. I think Southwest is pretty cheap at around $50 each way. Good advice also to call the LBS to see what they charge. Many shops perform this service. You'll need to talk to them to get a box anyway as airlines want your bike boxed.

Remind the airlines that gas prices have gone back down again and maybe these surcharges should be dropped. . .

Good luck!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    take up golf instead. clubs fly free. gotta love the dbl standard.

i fly my bike in a hard case on swa pretty often with good results. $25 oversize fee and $25 over weight fee each way but that was last spring. i box a custys bike for $40 and its done right with full padding on all tubes, everything zip tied tight, rotors boxed and a spacer in back if its a qr. a carefully sized piece of wood will work if its a ta.
    No, I'm NOT back!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    bike is already in Anaheim... the good guys at Chumba brought my bike back with them and rebuilt the fork and brakes for me when i broke my collarbone. Now i'm in week 10 and though i cant exactly do push ups just yet, i think i should be ready to ride by the end of the month and thus heading down there...

But this time, found a ride there and will be driving there and then bringing my bike back... Phew...

Have heard horror stories about shipping bikes and bikes on planes like William42... I'm a little afraid... haha. Anyways, thanx guys!

mtbr member
    I think UPS hates bikers, bikes, and bike components. Fedex seems to do a lot better job of delivering bike stuff without beating the crap out of it.

Glad to Be Alive
    drive it home...
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    drive it home...
    A real man would ride it home.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

N* Bomber Crew
    SFO prohibits the transport of Chumba Bicycles in their airport. Any other bike is fine though...
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    SFO prohibits the transport of Chumba Bicycles in their airport. Any other bike is fine though...
    There's always Oakland. Long as you're packing a gat they can't say shti!

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    There's always Oakland. Long as you're packing a gat they can't say shti!
    They'll lose it.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Members who have read this thread: 0