Bike weight, is this right??- Mtbr.com
    V-Shaped Rut

Bike weight, is this right??

Hey all, I'm ALMOST done with my intense SS (original flavor) build, just need a chain, single shifter and front brake lever/caliper. Literally everything else is on the bike. I decided to throw it on my digital bathroom scale to get an idea about weight and.... 31.2 lbs??? I re-weighed several times, and this scale is pretty accurate, I weigh myself on it and at the real calibrated scale at the gym.

I imagine with a chain, front brakes, shifter and even heavier pedals (cheap wellgos on there now) its gonna be 35ish pounds? I didn't exactly go light on parts, here is the list:

Intense SS medium with DHX 5.0 coil
    Lyrik U-turn coil 160mm, 1.5" steerer.
    Hope pro II/Flow 32 hole
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35" and generic tubes
    Juicy 5 160mm discs are mounted F/R front will be larger and different brakes used
    Juicy 5 lever/caliper rear
    Sram x.9 rear D and 9 speed cassette
    12mmx135mm through axle
    RF Atlas FR bars uncut, odi lock on's
    Saint cranks, E13 bashguard and blackspire stinger
    Thomson elite stem and seatpost
    Selle shiver saddle

Does this sound right? I was expecting a 38 lb bike? I haven't checked weight, but a chain, shifter and front brake aren't gonna be 7 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It seems lighter than I would have thought. My wife's small SS1 weighs a bit over 33 pounds with and air shock, air fork, tubless tires and a slightler lighter build than what you have. But hey, if it turns out lighter than what you thought it would be that is good right? Normally people build up bikes and grossly under estimate the weight.

biking is fun
    That seems about right, you have some really light parts on there (wheels, post/stem, brakes, tires, tubes) and the SS frame is pretty light as well for being a FR bike. I bet it will be below 35 even since the things you have left are not crazy heavy.

The only thing on your build that seems out of place is the saint cranks. everything else is really lightweight stuff and then you have DH cranks on there. not saying its bad though.

V-Shaped Rut
    One thing that has always bothered me on my XC bikes is noodley cranks. I rode the same model saints on a Glory last season and loved the stiffness. Then when I saw them on sale....

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    My SS1 is pretty light, almost too light. probably around the 34-35 lbs. range so it sounds like you are in the ballpark.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal
    My SS1 is pretty light, almost too light. probably around the 34-35 lbs. range so it sounds like you are in the ballpark.
    easily be done....I have a M9 that weighs 39 pounds even with an 888 and 36 hole rims
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0