Bike For Small Person- Mtbr.com
    I wish I had...

Bike For Small Person

I am looking for a downhill freeride bike but the problem is I am very small. I want a nice bike not something junky. I guess the bike would be leaning to the freeride side.I am 5ft and 110lbs. Thanks for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Maybe a Stinky or a Bighit? They're pretty good beginner bikes and have good resale value for when you decide to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bullit, Stinky w/ 24" wheels ?
    All about the ride

Supremely Unco-ordinated
    Bike weight is obviously going to be an important factor, and while I haven't lifted the smaller frame sizes of the bighit, my large size 05 bighit fsr is very heavy... I *think* the smaller sizes would still be pretty heavy as well, and you may find it a bit of a mission to throw the bike around on the trails? Just something that occured to me...

I believe bikes like the stinky are a bit lighter.
    Post your youtube mountain bike videos and they'll be included in our interactive World MTB video map!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I incountered this problem as well when I was looking for my DH bike as I am 5'2". I have a Bighit grom frame that probably fit you perfect. PM me if you're interested.

No Fear!
    If your learning get a Hardtail,

I wish I had...
    I am not a beginner. I have been mountain biking for a while and I do lagre jumps, drops, downhill etc... I currently own an Iron Horse Warrior Trail it is a nice bike but is not holding up to well for what I am doing.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    bottle rocket.less travel,but you shouldnt need 8-9" weighing what you way.or maybe a 15" 7 point?
    so this is how you add a signature!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've got a 2006 Big Hit Small that i'm selling which may work for you. Check out the geometry on specialized.com. Email me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I was going to ask a similar question, so here goes.
    My girlfriend is buying a FR bike. She is short, and light - 157cm and 50 kg tops (5'2'' and 110 lbs). Current ride style is XC, and she rides a Kona Kula Primo 16'' frame.
    We're considering SX Trail I '07, small size ofc. Any comments or other bike suggestions are welcome, (like s SC Heckler, not that it is a FR bike, but I think it would serve her well). Thanks.
    BTW sorry 'bout my english.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron1
    I am looking for a downhill freeride bike but the problem is I am very small. I want a nice bike not something junky. I guess the bike would be leaning to the freeride side.I am 5ft and 110lbs. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Small Kona with a 66. There's a guy selling this same bike in a small with 66's for $1725 shipped in the MTBR classifieds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Get the small SX Trail II. My wife has it the '06. She loves it. It is a great bike.
    Drewski

“The Beatings will Continue Until Morale Improves”

hands up who wants to die
    nomad w/ a 7" single crown or supert/boxxer
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Here's my woman's

She is 5'2" and 100 lbs, it is perfect for her running on 24" Halo tornado wheels. Really, she doens't use even that much travel. Petite girls need light weight, low standover, and complete control over their bikes to gain confidence. Riding a too big of a bike will kill their fun factor, and they won't like freeriding as much. Get a girl to ride with you, and you've found a winner!

It also double's as her "unmentionables dryer". ( I swear this wasn't staged)

2006 Heckler w/ DHX 5.0
    2007 Fox Vanilla 140mm
    Halo Tornado 24" wheelset
    Shimano Hone Cranks
    Hayes HFX-9 brakes
    Panaracer 24 x 2.4 tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    iam ordering a 16 inch fat possum XT on monday and iam 5 2 at 90 pounds

mtbr member
    You don't need a whole lot of bike is you're that small. A few bikes that come to mind:
    -Iron Horse 6/7 Point
    -Transition Bottle Rocket
    -SC Heckler or maybe Blur 4X

The green Kona Reamer posted looks great. I'd look hard at that.

Riding with...
    SX trails are tiny
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Transitions are good and tend to run on the small size. I'm 5'2 and my sm Preston fits ooooo like a glove.

mtbr member
    I have a TITUS SUPERMOTO DH that is a SM and it is small!!! It is a DH race bike, but you can change the links on the rear and make it 6-7" instead of the 8-9" it is now? Check it out
    HERE

Pro Crastinator
    if i were in your shoes, which i practicly am, being anither short guy. i have a 29" inseam which is probably right around the same as you. i'be looking back at this bike a few posts ago. it will fully handle your progression and potentinal growth/weight gain....

mtbr member
    A transition bottlerocket has pretty small geo, i think smaller than that of a stinky. And if you set it up with a singlecrown fork, it should be okay

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i know one....

Members who have read this thread: 0