Which bike? Santa Cruz, Mountain Cycle, Banshee- Mtbr.com
    Giant Bicycles Kick A$$
    Mar 2004

Which bike? Santa Cruz, Mountain Cycle, Banshee

I'm thinking of geting a hardtail and I can not decide what to get. I have been looking a the Santa Cruz Chameleon- I like it because it look like it can take to x -country and I can take the freeride dishing . It has to shorts wheel base.
    Mountain Cycle Rumble S/1- I like the drop outs, the 2.7 rear tire, and it can take it all.
    Banshee Scirocco- You can put a 7" Doudle Crown fork. It's the lights one.

What size would be best for me. I'm 6'0" and I'm 155lbs.

got a picture of one post it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All are good bikes. I just got a brew. Check them out www.brewracingframes.com It is steel and has good geometry for jumping/ freeride. And isn't to bad for trail riding. The frame only weighs 5lbs too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Personally, I really like the Banshee Scirocco. If I could've afforded one, I would have bought one; instead, I got a cheaper bike with similar geometry (Devinci Hucker). The frame feels great, so I imagine that the Scirocco would be similar.

Both Banshee and Santa Cruz have excellent customer service from what I've read so I don't think you can go wrong with either (Banshee has a 10 year warranty). It depends more on which one you like the feel of better. I haven't heard anything about the Rumble, though. It looks less trail oriented than the other two. If you ask me, get the Banshee and build it up burly and light.

You've already got one Giant- so how about you go check out the new STP. I don't think you'd be dissapointed...

Doesnt ride Banshees

Scirroco

Banshee scirroco is a killer bike, i rode a friend of mines on a few really good rides, the ONLY problem i had with the bike was the BB clearence, i tended to catch on stuff i would never catch on with my morphine. Other than that its RETARDED fast. Cant comment on the other bikes since i havent ridden em. good luck.

Giant Bicycles Kick A$$
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Oregon
    You've already got one Giant- so how about you go check out the new STP. I don't think you'd be dissapointed...
    Thats is a very nice looking bike and it's a giant. Do you know when it came out because i have been weating for one of that type of bike from thim for a long time. Giant is my favorite bike company. The sad thing is my friend got me giants for half price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mountain Cycle Rumble S/1

Get the Rumble, either the S/1 singlespeed or the standard one. They are made in Portland, OR and are great bikes. What size to get depends on how you want to ride it. If you plan on spending most of your time at the skatepark or street riding, then get a small S/1. My S/1 will manual for miles. If you want more of a downhill hardtail to go fast and big on, then maybe a medium std Rumble. I use a new Monster T on mine, feels great.
    Awesome warranty and it looks sick in anodized black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One of the guys I work with just got a Rumble..... It is strongly making me consider replacing my DS1 I currently have.... Plus it would nice next to my 9.5...

Brian

The STP is brand new. Jeff Lenosky has been testing it for over a year. I just got the STP 1 and am loving it. It is considerably lighter than the P-series, and probably stronger...

Giant Bicycles Kick A$$
    Mar 2004

how much

The STP is brand new. Jeff Lenosky has been testing it for over a year. I just got the STP 1 and am loving it. It is considerably lighter than the P-series, and probably stronger...
    how much did you get the stp for.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantAC1
    how much did you get the stp for.
    The 1 is $1K with a Marzocchi Drop Off fork, and Avid brakes

Giant Bicycles Kick A$$
    Mar 2004

Giant or Banshee

The 1 is $1K with a Marzocchi Drop Off fork, and Avid brakes
    I like the STP1 but i would get new bars, chain guide, tires so it's the way I like it.
    The Banshee i get bigger brakes, better cranks, chain guide, derailleur, wheels, and gripshift.

Check it out. http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/custom/custom1.asp

Quote Originally Posted by GiantAC1
    I like the STP1 but i would get new bars, chain guide, tires so it's the way I like it.
    The Banshee i get bigger brakes, better cranks, chain guide, derailleur, wheels, and gripshift.

Check it out. http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/custom/custom1.asp

If you're doing dj's, or skate parks the tires are great- I wasn't sure at first- but the only reason to change tires is for DH trails, or big stair hucks. Bars and chain devices are personal (I like the neutral lo-rise bar and don't use chain devices- so I'm good stock.)

Banshee is a newer small company with a "cooler" image- but Giant has been around, and will be there ready to handle any problems quickly. Tell your LBS what you want and see what they say...

100% Cheesy Goodness
    I just got a 243 racing frame and just got it built up. So far this frame kicks a$$. Its a bit heavy, but I can hop the thing higher into the air than my kona stuff which is a pound or two lighter. The geometry rocks it handles a lot lighter that it is. Dont even notice the weight. I cant wait to take it jumping and to the skate park to morrow. I should be able to get some pics later.
    -Dave
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

Giant Bicycles Kick A$$
    Mar 2004

243 are sweet but steel

Quote Originally Posted by sortafast
    I just got a 243 racing frame and just got it built up. So far this frame kicks a$$. Its a bit heavy, but I can hop the thing higher into the air than my kona stuff which is a pound or two lighter. The geometry rocks it handles a lot lighter that it is. Dont even notice the weight. I cant wait to take it jumping and to the skate park to morrow. I should be able to get some pics later.
    -Dave
    my firend had one. sick bike. he had a good build too, 5in travel fork the hole 9 yard. he didn't like the steel so he got a rumble but I haven rode it yet. 243 super fast, but the steel bends and i didn't like that

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Banshee might be a newer company with a "cool" image but they are on top of their game, and have great customer service. No offense, but i see a giant breaking before a banshee. Like i said before the scirroco is a solid, light, bike that is either freeride/xc/ or inbetween, its very versitile, the only problem was like i said before the clearence issues, i found it to be alittle bit of a problem with some of the steeper stuff here on it the east coast, never had a problem clearing rocks/roots/ect. Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    Banshee might be a newer company with a "cool" image but they are on top of their game, and have great customer service. No offense, but i see a giant breaking before a banshee. Like i said before the scirroco is a solid, light, bike that is either freeride/xc/ or inbetween, its very versitile, the only problem was like i said before the clearence issues, i found it to be alittle bit of a problem with some of the steeper stuff here on it the east coast, never had a problem clearing rocks/roots/ect. Good luck with your choice.
    Easy does it Banshee Rider. I am not questioning the customer service of Banshee ( I know some people who have broken stuff and had to use the warranty system for them.) Everyone knows that small companies come and go. Giant has been in the US for over 15 years. They make a good bike- and if something goes wrong they handle it quickly.

Every product out there WILL break. Some with less abuse than others. Time will tell on the STP- but one thing is for sure- when someone breaks one it will be replaced by another one quickly...