Bike Reccomendations?- Mtbr.com
    I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

Bike Reccomendations?

Hey,

So about 2 years ago I gave up mountain biking for motocross and I kind of want to get back into mountain biking. I rode a cheap 5 inch travel AM bike that got the job done for me. Anyway, I don't even know where to start as far as getting a bike goes. I know a little bit about bikes but I am no expert and what I know is what I remember from about a year or two ago. But I want to get something not too big and clumpy that I could still pedal around uphill occasionally. I don't have a super allowable budget. I would like to keep it under 1500 and 1600 is absolute max. I don't really want something really nice just something that works. I would like at least 6 inches of travel front and year on the bike as well. Should I buy used? should I buy new? Since I don't know a whole lot about bikes I don't know if bikes are good things to buy used.

Thanks

mtbr member
    You can find lots of descent used bikes in your price range, just look for something with low use and that is in good shape.You can check out Pinkbike.com: Latest biking news, photos, videos, events and more! and look at the Used bikes on there, LOTS to choose from! I will have a Large framed bike for sale very soon, you can PM if you would fit a large as it would be in your price range (not trying to make this into SPAM).

Nov 2008
    Ok thank you. I looked at the for sale FR/DH bikes in my area and there are three pages. I found a few that looked good but I don't know what size I should look for? I think am about 5'6 or 5'7 and 130 lbs but I will need the bike for next year and I don't know if I will grow a whole lot over winter.
    Last edited by drain bamage; 09-17-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynGhost View Post
    if you are saying 1600 is your max come jusssst a lil bit higher and i cna give you a sick sick sick bike.... shes gotta go madddnesss@aol.com for all questions
    Not to highjack your thread or anything buuuut. How do you like the monoblocks??
    Ruder than you.
    Ska is not dead!

Nov 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I know i can find some awesome bikes on pinkbike out of my state but then I would have no idea whether the bike would fit me or if it even works as said in the description? If I buy a bike and have it shipped and when it comes the bike is in awful working order what do i do? What is my loss paying for the return shipping? Is it likely I can buy a bike and have it not match the description? Oh and I probably would have to have the bike shop assemble it for me because I don't feel exactly comfortable doing that so that would cost another 40 dollars or so. One more question, are all bike sizes the same size? for example would all medium bikes fit me or is there an exact measurements that determines the frame size?

Thanks for the help