Bike Rack on a 2002 Honda Civic?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Bike Rack on a 2002 Honda Civic?

I'm looking to get a bike rack for my 2002 Civic that will support my Giant Faith 2 DH bike. I asked some guy about it at Yakima and he said that it would "crush the trunk." Now, I feel like that's total BS because I weigh 170 and I've sat on my trunk. It didn't deform in any way. But is he right, though? Would a DH bike really mess up my trunk? I'm trying to avoid taking my mom's minivan everywhere because it gets her car dirty and the handlebars mess up the roof.
    Last edited by Zell; 06-07-2008 at 06:37 PM.

I AM I AM
    Well if you were in Oz then www.gripsport.com.au

mtbr member
    You'll be fine. That dude must've been smoking some serious trees.

We have one and use that type of rack and I've put two 40lb DH bikes on it.

Bike Hustler
    I have a civic and have put 2 DH rigs on a trunk rack and it was fine... bouncey at times but fine.

the weakest point is the outside corners that meet the back window. If you run straps that pull hooked up too close they will bend out.
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    invest in a hitch and hitch rack. my brother had his trunk lid move on him with a trunk rack and rough roads. wasn't a civic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    dude, this is what you need

Mine was a 2000, I used to carry two 50 lbs bikes, with no problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zell
    I'm looking to get a bike rack for my 2002 Civic that will support my Giant Faith 2 DH bike. I asked some guy about it at Yakima and he said that it would "crush the trunk." Now, I feel like that's total BS because I weigh 170 and I've sat on my trunk. It didn't deform in any way. But is he right, though? Would a DH bike really mess up my trunk? I'm trying to avoid taking my mom's minivan everywhere because it gets her car dirty and the handlebars mess up the roof.
    atleast the guys was honest and not jsut trying to sell product

im not a big fan of the trunk mount, good solution for the guy who uses it for the annual summer trip, not ideal for the weekly trips with a dh bike esp if at highway speeds. I had an 01 civic and used a trunk mount a handful of time when carpooling. There were noticable 'divots' where the rack rested on the trunk lid.
    going over bumps and such with the bike bobbing up and down put alot of force where the rack sits on the lid. Alot different than the weight of your 170lb ass.

Thats a real long winded way of saying the yakima guys is right. I do see a few guys with trunk mounts so people do run them. But if you are concerned about damaging your car i would avoid them.

Members who have read this thread: 0