Bike Parks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike Parks

Wanna ride bikes?

Bike Parks

I was thinking about going to a lift assisted place this summer, and was just hoping to get some info on the different places around, because I mean although I suppose they're all the same idea, I've heard parks can vary greatly from on to another, for example:

The standard opinion on say NorthStar is that it's pretty much straight up chunder all the way (heard the nickname NorthGnar?), while Highland bike park seems nought but smooth flowy trails with huge jumps.

So are the descriptions true? Or do all parks have a pretty fair amount of diversity?

Thanks

Moose Member
    Where do you live?

I cant speak for parks other than Mammoth and Northstar, but both of them have a large range of trails. Northstar has Livewire (smooth and jumpy), and then it has karpiel and dogbone (rough, even on a 9.5" travel bike, im talking huge, rough rock gardens), and then it has runs like Falmeout, Gypsy, and Stix, which all have their rocky parts, and their fast jumpy/flowy parts... I also hear that Northstar is building a slopestyle park (rumor!!! IM NOT SURE IF ITS TRUE!!!!)

Then there is Mammoth... Pumice Pumice Pumice... all i can say. Mammoth is a blast for a couple days, but after that you never wanna see the pumice ever again... the dirt is very soft and loose, but its fun in a way. Mammoth has some of the most challenging features i have ever seen (techno rock drop, velocities gardens, upper shock treatment...) but it also has some super fun trails, like lower shock treatment, richter (i think its called), Velocity, Twighlight zone, 7 bridges, Flow. And it even has some of the sickest bigginer trails ever. Off the top is super smooth and easy (lots of bigginers on it though), but its a blast. still one of my favorite trails.

Now, if i had to choose 1 park in the states to go to it would be highland, just because of the jumps and stuff. I have seen some other vids of highland, and it looks like it has some very oldschool techy DH stuff as well. But i cant really say for sure because i've never been there...

Just from the two i know I'd say go to N*. Theres plenty of trails to help you progress (i started on the old C'dale super v there, and am now doing all the double blacks). they also have a decent jump park, and some fun singletrack... and if you tell me when you're going to N* i can try to meet you up there because im getting a season pass

Just watch lotsa vids. I go to youtube and search "highland," Click a video, and then can follow the "related videos" forever...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    Where do you live?

I cant speak for parks other than Mammoth and Northstar, but both of them have a large range of trails. Northstar has Livewire (smooth and jumpy), and then it has karpiel and dogbone (rough, even on a 9.5" travel bike, im talking huge, rough rock gardens), and then it has runs like Falmeout, Gypsy, and Stix, which all have their rocky parts, and their fast jumpy/flowy parts... I also hear that Northstar is building a slopestyle park (rumor!!! IM NOT SURE IF ITS TRUE!!!!)

Then there is Mammoth... Pumice Pumice Pumice... all i can say. Mammoth is a blast for a couple days, but after that you never wanna see the pumice ever again... the dirt is very soft and loose, but its fun in a way. Mammoth has some of the most challenging features i have ever seen (techno rock drop, velocities gardens, upper shock treatment...) but it also has some super fun trails, like lower shock treatment, richter (i think its called), Velocity, Twighlight zone, 7 bridges, Flow. And it even has some of the sickest bigginer trails ever. Off the top is super smooth and easy (lots of bigginers on it though), but its a blast. still one of my favorite trails.

Now, if i had to choose 1 park in the states to go to it would be highland, just because of the jumps and stuff. I have seen some other vids of highland, and it looks like it has some very oldschool techy DH stuff as well. But i cant really say for sure because i've never been there...

Just from the two i know I'd say go to N*. Theres plenty of trails to help you progress (i started on the old C'dale super v there, and am now doing all the double blacks). they also have a decent jump park, and some fun singletrack... and if you tell me when you're going to N* i can try to meet you up there because im getting a season pass

Just watch lotsa vids. I go to youtube and search "highland," Click a video, and then can follow the "related videos" forever...
    you talking about Highland on the east coast

Glad to Be Alive
    honestly every park has it's own features that make you a better rider. I hate lack of traction so mammoth is a GREAT place to ride....steeps Mt Baldy, loose stuff old Big Bear -now parts of NorthStar...and the knar of Bootleg

I love Keystone in Colorado, Snoeshoe in WV, Deer Valley and Bryanhead in Utah...and My favorite is Whistler.

but like I said...ride them all so you get better in your overall bike skills
    and concentrate on the ones you hate the most to get better faster

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    you talking about Highland on the east coast
    yup, is there another highland?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    cant really speak for any other parks as i only been to one. and in my opinion it is by far the best, and that is whistler. it has somthing for everone, all types of rider are caterd for. and there is an amazing network of trails outside the park. not to mention within a few hours of whistler you got the north shore, squamish,pemberton,sunshinecoast, kamloops,the list is endless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Every park is different. some have alot of natural trails but no jump scene like Snowshoe and some have alot of jumps but not too many tech trails like Highland. If you're on the east coast check out Diablo. I think you'll like that place.

As for west coast, yeah Northstar has one trail that begins with a K or a C(only been there once) that's steep and rocky. Northstar also has a trail thats just like Aline(a crowded jump line) that's well laid out. Most of their skinnies are well thought out too. It's a great park but....

GO TO WHISTLER!!! If you're planning a vacation Whistler's the spot. Whistler Bike Park is best place to spend time away from home on a mountain bike.
    I'm going to rob banks til I retire or get caught. Either way I'm set for life

Wanna ride bikes?
    Has anyone been to AngelFire?

That's closest to where I live I think, and from what it seems it's nought but rock gardens all the way.

I was looking for a really smooth jump-centric sorta park, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by Lunchbox362; 01-08-2011 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    We ride Killington a lot, It has a lot of variety and is a place you never get sick of. This year we are going to venture out and try Highland and Diablo. Someday we might make it out west.

Moose Member
    How big of jumps do you want? Livewire has some decent sized jumps, some split jumps (left side is a huge jump, and left side is a smaller jump) so you cam choose your line. Mammoth isn't very jumpy... are you going to be riding your komodo? Or may you rent? Even then I think you could handle flameout, gypsy, and maybe boondocks on a hardtail...

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    How big of jumps do you want? Livewire has some decent sized jumps, some split jumps (left side is a huge jump, and left side is a smaller jump) so you cam choose your line. Mammoth isn't very jumpy... are you going to be riding your komodo? Or may you rent? Even then I think you could handle flameout, gypsy, and maybe boondocks on a hardtail...
    I'd be riding my komodo, atleast the first time I go, if that absolutely sucks then I can convince my parents to rent next time, I'm pretty confident it can handle almost everything, it just starts to hurt when going over chunder, which is why I was looking at smoother flow-oriented parks prefferably

mtbr member
    Just thought I would add that there is a distance of 2582 miles between Northstar and Diablo.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Any more commentary on the matter of bike parks?

Glad to Be Alive
    riding a hardtail komodo at a bike park is hard...you are going to get beat up by the trails...I would try angelfire since it is close to you. I am sure there are mellower trails at Angelfire that you can ride

NorthStar is too chunky and you will be on baby trails (beginners) lame...I wouldn't recommend N* at all for your bike

deer valley outside Salt lake has some really good trails...smoother then most resorts ...They cater to more family/XC crowd...but still fun...that would be my recommendation

parks I been too as a comparison:
    Whistler
    Bootleg Cyn
    Deer Valley
    Blackrock
    Snoe Shoe
    Mammoth
    Big Bear
    North Star
    Vail
    Keystone
    Bryanhead

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox362
    I was thinking about going to a lift assisted place this summer, and was just hoping to get some info on the different places around, because I mean although I suppose they're all the same idea, I've heard parks can vary greatly from on to another, for example:

The standard opinion on say NorthStar is that it's pretty much straight up chunder all the way (heard the nickname NorthGnar?), while Highland bike park seems nought but smooth flowy trails with huge jumps.

So are the descriptions true? Or do all parks have a pretty fair amount of diversity?

Thanks
    you do know highland has a summer camp, and its a wicked fun place ive been a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you are looking for info. on different Bike Parks throughout North America, MTBparks.com is a great source!

https://mtbparks.com/

Ricky DH
    If you come to Colorado/Denver area You'd want to hit Keystone and Granby Ranch for the chunder and Trestle Bike Park (Winter Park) for the JUMPS and the FLOWWWWWWW!!!! Of course there are many other parks in Colorado.

Members who have read this thread: 6