Which bike?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Which bike?

I am a newb and wanted to do some DH and be able to ride up some hills. I thought that I knew what I wanted but there are so many bikes to choose from I don't know where to even start. Here is where I am at. I have narrowed it down to a few bikes.
    Norco
    VPS Shore
    Six
    Santa Cruz
    Bullit (6” or 7”)
    VP-Free (8.5” Travel)
    Kona
    Stinky Dee-Lux
    Scott
    Nitrous 20
    Nitrous SL 22
    Titus
    Super-moto
    Giant
    Faith 1 or 2
    DH Comp
    AC-1
    Devinci
    Ollie
    8-Flat-8
    If you could give me some info one just one or two of the bikes that might help me choose which one I would greatly appreciate it. I want a bike that will last for at least two years with minimal replacements. Don't want to buy more than the bike right at the start except maybe tires or grips. And don't expect to race any time soon. I live in SocCal but want to be able to go big in Mammoth, Brian Head, etc. without worrying about breaking anything except myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    whats your budget

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

As of now?

As of now my budget is around under 2k but I can get any bike at cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Just frame

Does the Banshee sell just the frame only or a complete bike. If it is just the frame how much would it cost to finish the bike with quality parts (good shock maybe the Fox 40R?, the rest of the parts just need to get me home)? Otherwise it seems like a good bike.

That's my name
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelman
    I have narrowed it down to a few bikes.

A few??
    That's alot of frickin bikes dude!!!
    Surely you can narrow it down a bit, i mean you must have a preference for at least 1 or 2 of them! Even if it is just down to looks.
    Your budget must rule out the Titus, the VP-Free and maybe The Devinci as well. I'm not totally sure about US prices but i would have thought they would be way over 2large! Even if you did get them at discounted prices (you work at a shop right?), it doesn't seem likely that you could get these bikes complete in that price range. Good luck to you if you can!!

But you asked for advice so i will say from that list go for the SC Bullit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Forks?

Is their anyone of these bikes that have forks that just have to go ride from the start (i.e. no adujstment, not reliable, noisy, etc.).

soviet pride

Good job!

i say stinky or banshee scream...both good choices. although many of the bikes you listed are good aswell

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Why?

What makes the Banshee better than the others like the Bullit?

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    I say TRANSITION DIRTBAG. check it out at transitionbikes.com

mtbr member

Faith

I would personally get a Faith 1 but that's a pretty biased answer cause i own one. All that i can say is that i love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Pedaling?

How well does it pedal up hills.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    What makes the Banshee better than the others like the Bullit?
    zachnugz rides it
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Budget

Seems like a decent bike but it is a little out of my budget for this bike.

mtbr member
    I would think a Santa cruz builit would be a nice bike for a /\/008 and it isn't too heavy.

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    dont forget about the dirtbag

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Weight

How heavy is the dirtbag?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Final choices are...

I think I have narrowed it down to these five bikes pretty much in the order in which I would buy first the
    Dirtbag
    Stinky Dee-Lux
    Scream (nice one on ebay)
    Faith 1
    Bullit

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think I have narrowed it down to these five bikes pretty much in the order in which I would buy first the
    Dirtbag
    Stinky Dee-Lux
    Scream (nice one on ebay)
    Faith 1
    Bullit
    i would get the faith. the banshee is a great bike, and it climbs okay for it's side. but that isn't really good compared to bikes like the VP Free. I would go with the faith or the stinky because they are a bit lighter.

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    dirbag is about 43 pounds. you should call kevin at transition. he'll help u buy the rite bike. you could get the Transition Preston too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    One vote for the Stinky

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I would personally say go with a Transition DirtBag or Preston FR. Is this going to be your first FR bike? If so I know you probably won't want to hear this but go maybe with something a little more versitile. A Scream is great but you want to be launching 30foot step downs to use that. Maybe a Kona Stinky, Kona Coiler, Preston FR, DirtBag, any Norco, and maybe even a Hardtail like the Norco Manik, Torrent or Tactic. But in the end dude get what you want. We are all giveing you suggestions of bikes we like to ride and or have. You are going to be the one riding this bike so get what you want and you will never regret it.

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    With a hardtail you can't go wrong for a beginer. You can buy a good hardtail for around 1200 - 1500 and ride it for a year. If you then decide that you want a FS all you have to do is take the parts of the hardtail buy a Preston FR frame or what ever frame you want and put the parts on it and sell ur HT frame. Simple as that, plus you can see if you like the feel of a hardtail or if you think FS is more ur thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JRuss
    With a hardtail you can't go wrong for a beginer. You can buy a good hardtail for around 1200 - 1500 and ride it for a year. If you then decide that you want a FS all you have to do is take the parts of the hardtail buy a Preston FR frame or what ever frame you want and put the parts on it and sell ur HT frame. Simple as that, plus you can see if you like the feel of a hardtail or if you think FS is more ur thing.
    After work today I will start to look a little more into hardtails. At first I thought that they were just XC bikes for weight wennies. Then a guy in another post I did in the SoCal forum pretty much said the same thing. I am going to at least one local trail this weekend with a XC hardtail to see what the trail is like. If I don't have any problems with riding a hardtail I will seriously consider buying a hardtail. Like JRuss said I could ride it for a year or whatever then buy a FS frame and swap parts. Thanks a lot for your input. I really appreciate your advice.

Canadian at Heart
    Jan 2004
    most of the bikes that you are looking at are more north shore hucking bikes. If you want something more for DH (better geometry) look at turner, santa cruz, or even ventana. Heck, you could even go for the new azonic and that would be way cheaper! I think you should check out the geometry of these bikes before you make a decision.

mtbr member

Faith

The faith pedals very well with only minor bob from the maestro with hard out of the saddle pedaling. It is very heavy though so you may have to walk it up a few hills the xc guys are climbing but that's not what it's made for anyway.