bighit help- Mtbr.com

Thread: bighit help

hand me the dice

bighit help

i just recently got a 2004 bighit comp used. can someone help me out with what the A/B/C/D settings do to the geometry/travel of the bike and what situations call for what setting? thanks for any help.
    "pain is only a pulse...if you just stop feeling it"

painfully ordinary
    Quote Originally Posted by TryAndStopMe
    i just recently got a 2004 bighit comp used. can someone help me out with what the A/B/C/D settings do to the geometry/travel of the bike and what situations call for what setting? thanks for any help.
    A and C leave the rear travel at 7.5 B and D set the rear travel at 6". and the head angle, is changed also, I run mine most the time in the C position, making the head angle at 68 degrees, A makes it more slack at 66, same with B and D but with the different travel in the rear. I set mine in A when I am doing steep down hill but the mostly leave it C.
    I got nuthin......

mtbr member

Me too...

I generally run mine in C all the time but that is cause I usually ride some trails and some stunts and there arent any super steep hills where I ride. Going over to the 66 degree head angle would help there. As far as running the bike in the 6 inch travel mode, the benefit there is that the bottom bracket height is reduced by an inch or two, so you may corner a bit better...but I never have problems with that in the C setting. I'd just try them out and see what feels the best...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    u can also change the progressiveness at the top of the shock, it has three settings, i like to keep mine at the third setting

Uhhhhh...
    All the numbers are on the bike with everything that each hole do differently. I believe the numvbers are on the right side right by the shock.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

hand me the dice
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    All the numbers are on the bike with everything that each hole do differently. I believe the numvbers are on the right side right by the shock.

-TS
    word, i'm a noob so i should have emphasized that my main question is what travel/angle is appropriate for what conditions. thanks to everyone for responding.
    "pain is only a pulse...if you just stop feeling it"

Uhhhhh...
    word, i'm a noob so i should have emphasized that my main question is what travel/angle is appropriate for what conditions. thanks to everyone for responding.
    Well put it in A for steep and fast descents and C for more technical situations. Sweet bike BTW.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member

From the website...

In 2003 the BigHit DH has 4 holes in the link and 3 in the frame.
    The 3 in the frame will change how progressive, or not, the shock acts. The bottom hole on the frame will make the shock more progressive while the top hole will make it more linear in action. This leaves the middle hole to allow for a neutral position. The 3 holes do not change the travel at all.
    The 4 holes in the link allow for 2 travel distances and 2 bottom bracket heights.
    1 - For the first of the 4 holes we will start with the one on the top near the back of the bike. This hole will set the BB height at 15.2" and the travel at 6.8".
    2 - The next hole is the bottom one at the back of the link. This will leave the travel at 6.8", but it will drop the BB height to 14.3" giving a lower center of gravity, but also less clearance.
    3 - The third hole is the top/front one. This changes the suspension travel to 8.1" and puts the BB height at 15.2" as did the top hole at the back of the link.
    4 - The last hole leaves the travel the same as the third hole, but drops the BB height to 14.3" as did the second hole.

For the 2002 BigHit DH the 2 holes in the link only offer a geometry change and the travel will remain the same. There is no travel change option on the 2002 BigHit DH it is set at 8.1" of travel. The upper hole will set the steering angle at 67.5 degrees and the lower hole will set the steering angle at 66.5 degrees. Whenever the steering angle is set to a lower value in degrees it will slow the steering which will increase your turn radius.