bighit chainstay needs protection- Mtbr.com
    [email protected] NYC Freerider

bighit chainstay needs protection

after riding lots of NYC urban today, came home to find that my left chainstay of my bighit sufferd damage due to me sliding off ledges and hitting it on concrete edges and such. left pivot nuts that connect the seatstay and chainstay also got damaged from coming in contact with hard things. i need to make some sort of guard to protect my seatsaty and pivot. i was thinking about using old tires and zip tires, but dont like the idea of having them riped off when they hit ledges and get stuck in my spokes. i was thinking of making some grind plates out of sheet metal or diamond plated steel or somthing. any ideas on how i can attach it to my chainstay? also, what can i fashion to protect my pivot nut from being completly ripped off next time i hit it on a ledge? any one else have the smae problem.? the pic shows what i need to protect...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Master_Jako; 12-09-2004 at 10:21 PM.

ridin' the hope
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Jako
    after riding lots of NYC urban today, came home to find that my left chainstay of my bighit sufferd damage due to me sliding off ledges and hitting it on concrete edges and such. left pivot nuts that connect the seatstay and chainstay also got damaged from coming in contact with hard things. i need to make some sort of guard to protect my seatsaty and pivot. i was thinking about using old tires and zip tires, but dont like the idea of having them riped off when they hit ledges and get stuck in my spokes. i was thinking of making some grind plates out of sheet metal or diamond plated steel or somthing. any ideas on how i can attach it to my chainstay? also, what can i fashion to protect my pivot nut from being completly ripped off next time i hit it on a ledge? any one else have the smae problem.? the pic shows what i need to protect...
    I demolished my same chainstay on a steel hardtail frame. What can I doooo?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    nohting pisses me off more than to see a biker grinding a ledge. i also skateboard and the bikers in my town ruined all the curbs and ledges, huge chunks. bicycles can go pretty much anywhere and you can grind on alot of different materials. my point being is dont ruin ledges and curbs.
    life aint nothin but bitches and money.................

CAPTIN HARDCORE

Hmmm

Its funny how people on a mtb forum are hating bikers. But anyway i have the same rear link on my fsr and was thinking on the same thing. I would try to fab up something like a hub protector but instead of inside the chainstays put it on the outside, this way it will rub on that instead of the frame. At the same time it will protect the rear disk. You could also make a braket to hook on the the link bolts (it may be harder). put you bike up on the curb to see where it hits the most and see what you can do.
    [B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB]

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    dude i dont hate bikers. i am a biker and have been for quite sometime. i just dont like people mess up spots. including skateboarders. i just think that bikers dont realize the posibillities. i do and i try to talk to the dudes that f*ck up my skate spots and make them realize.

i have fabricated a few guards for my dirt bikes, and i think if you could get a good sheet of aluminum alloy you make a rough cut of the chain stay and the drop out and utilize the bolts that are already there to hold it on. i think if you looked at some pictures of frame guards on dirt bikes you will understand.

if it were me i would look into a frame with replaceable chain stay guards. i think 24 makes one. i just dont think a bighit was made for grinding.
    Last edited by dirtypuke; 12-10-2004 at 12:36 PM.
    life aint nothin but bitches and money.................

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

probably not a solution but it was quick 5 minute invention...

here ya go. the brack would mount between the bolt and the frame. i just hope some one can make sense or pick up what i am trying to get at here....oh well gave it a shot.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    here ya go. the brack would mount between the bolt and the frame. i just hope some one can make sense or pick up what i am trying to get at here....oh well gave it a shot.
    I just did this in about 5 minutes in powerpoint because i dont have AUTOCAD or SOLIDWORKS on my lap top. But basically the single hole uses the rear chainstay bolt and the two smaller ones use zip ties. YOu can make this with the sheet metal they sell at pep boys. Its like 14 guage sheet metal used for door panels in the body repair section at pep boys and all automotive suppliers. IT would work, just not sure if it would hold up. But basiclaly for 10 bucks for the sheetmetal and zip ties you could make like 5 of these from the sheet. Those dotted lines are bends and stuff so just use pliers or a vise maybe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    do you see what i mean?
    Gianni

Currently attending Cal Poly SLO to become an Industrial Engineer.
    Hometown: North San Diego (summertime)

Glad to Be Alive
    how about sawed in half PCP pipe (stuff you use for sprinklers...not really PCP))

that pipe idea can work. im going bring that bracket idea to th metal shop. i already gave them a similar idea but that one is better. for now though, ima use the cheap temp fix of running an old tire on the chainstay. thanks for the ideas.

mtbr member

Huh?

If you want to grind stuff, buy a bmx and put some pegs on it. Don't try to grind on a mountain bike, thats just silly. Grinding on concrete will destroy anything, so kiss your Big Hit goodbye.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    how about sawed in half PCP pipe (stuff you use for sprinklers...not really PCP))
    can i smoke crack in a PCP pipe too?
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    can i smoke crack in a PCP pipe too?
    only if it doesn't break from grinds

T.Dot Represent

make a guard...

get some diamond pate cut it and wrap it around. put a tire ube in there first though and uve got ur self a sick guard
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    If you want to grind stuff, buy a bmx and put some pegs on it. Don't try to grind on a mountain bike, thats just silly. Grinding on concrete will destroy anything, so kiss your Big Hit goodbye.
    oh, your absolutly right. i would never think to grind on my full squish bighit. but, i do live in a very urban enviorment (NYC) full of urban North Shore. thus, i must be able to hop onto and off ledges, walls, and other such urban obsticals. since im still in the process of learning and improving my skills, i will certainly have the occasional slip on a concrete ledge and mess up my chain stay, thus, leading me to muster up a solution to protect my chianstay so as not to damage it any more when i manage to slip off a ledge, or land wrong and not only bust my @ss, but also damage my beloved chain stay.

locked - time out
    Get a plastic rail from a skateboard - notch it 3/4" wide on either end and in the center - get 3 small hose clamps from a hardware store and clamp the rail to your chainstay, seating the hoseclamps in the notches that you created so that they will not get ground off.