BigHit?- Mtbr.com

Thread: BigHit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

BigHit?

I was thinking about picking up a bight this spring. I was wondering if it was worth the money or to pick up something else. I just got into downhill and was looking to up grade over my hard tail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    good starter bike. nothin too fancy or too pricey, but you can still shred the sicky gnar on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    explore more options! there are many other better bikes out there for a similar price. and other factors, What's your price range? what exactly do you intend to use your bike for?. do you need to pedal or do you do chairlift runs?

Trying a little
    don't buy a "starter bike" it will just cost you twice as much money when you get a good bike. how do I know this? I made that mistake.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    don't buy a "starter bike" it will just cost you twice as much money when you get a good bike. how do I know this? I made that mistake.
    similar here, got a pretty nice year before modle for about 670 and rode it great for about 6 months .... now i want a new one.. but i wouldnt call the bh too much of a begininer, like willam said pretty good bang for the buck and my fried has one, rips it up too, he's no beginier. Good Luck
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    a bighit is a pretty big step above a POS starter bike. Its got good geo, good linkage, pedals decently, can do everything well, and will let you step it up. You don't need to buy a 6000 dollar bike to have fun.

bighit, stinky, glory, 7point are all pretty good choices.

Living the High Life
    If the Big hit is under $1k new then its probably worth it. Especially if you can't see yourself being able to afford anything else for more than a year. Yeah, you may want a different bike in 6 months, but at least you'll have a bike to ride in the first place.

mtbr member
    If you want to be loyal to Spesh, you can also find used Demos in seemingly good condition for under $2K. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    yes because everybody hates FSR...why is it that everybody raves about the SX Trail and the Demo line as well as the enduro's, but then talks nothing but smack about the bighits. And then there are people who talk smack about spec for having high prices when they, unlike almost every company out there, have not one but TWO downhill bikes, one of them the more expensive and one of them the cheaper....

I'll be the first to say that FSR isn't to my taste, and that I'm not a huge fan of specialized business practice, but can't you see the hypocrisy here? Sure, the bighits ride a bit different (I owned two) and the demo's ARE nicer, but the bighits still ride really well, are stiff, and have that FSR feel.

Bighits are definitely worth more than 1000 new - that range of full sussers is for the crappy single pivots that come with 160mm "droppoff downhill forks" that feel worse then RST and are even more of a hassle to work on.

My advice is: pick up a used bighit, stinky, glory, faith, or 7point (i'd go with the glory, faith, or 7. if you can swing the money) and that will cost alot less AND be a nice enough bike to be worth upgrading.

Young.Brash.Hopeful.
    Jul 2005
    I've got a '05 BigHit for sale for a good price. It's in good shape. Its the last year they made them with a 24" rear wheel. Let me know if your interested.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    a bighit is a pretty big step above a POS starter bike. Its got good geo, good linkage, pedals decently, can do everything well, and will let you step it up. You don't need to buy a 6000 dollar bike to have fun.

bighit, stinky, glory, 7point are all pretty good choices.
    Big Hits are a good bike,...I rode mine and would put it up against any bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    hey rad send me some pics and a price.

EastBaySteez
    There are demo's floating around for 1500. Id take a demo over a Big hit and I hate Demo's to being wit.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    The Big Hit is a great bike. I have an '05 that is awesome. I don't ride it much because I went to a different bike, but it is none the less a great bike that is incredibly strong. You don't have to listen to me, but please don't listen to the idiots who say it is not that good of a bike because it didn't cost you $6,000. Most of those people can't ride for d!ick anyways.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bighits are great.

I rode the hell outta mine for 3 hard years and loved it. I upgraded it to top end components and it rode just as good as any Dh/FR bike. I now have an M3 and can say that the bighit when set up well isn't too far off in performance. I'd just buy a used one with good components. They are great bikes. Just remember, a nice bike frame doesn't mean it shreds. It's the suspension (fork and shock) that matters more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Its a good simple frame, enough travel for almost anyone. good reliable FSR rear. I like mine, it got me into the Big Bike thing. Its a heavy frame and I it lacks a 1.5 head tube. but its a tank. cant go wrong with it.

shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    There are demo's floating around for 1500. Id take a demo over a Big hit and I hate Demo's to being wit.

I have a demo 7 and love it. Great 7in travel bike and very versatile.
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

I can ride a two-wheeler
    my bighit's great

$850($920 wit tax) brand new ...bought as a fsr1

*upgraded to a 888 fork i got for 300$ brand new
    *5th elment rear shock i got for $100 brand new
    *e-13 i just got for it too for $120

great bike for $1440 ....I'd recommend it if you get a good deal on it

great bike...not a demo or a 4000 race bike, but its great, and will go through all the freeride and downhill that you throw at it except josh bender kinda stuff

mtbr member
    My Big Hit has been an amazing ride for getting into DH/FR. It's an 04 that i put a dropoff fork on, upgraded to single ring e.13 and other than some little things is pretty much stock. i've ridden it for 2 years, made a trip to whistler and done a lot of local northshore style stuff and it's been great. The owner of the shop i used to work at swears by them, especially for beginners. it's got solid geometry and will last you for a long time and won't break the bank. I'm currently looking to sell mine after a good go, simply since I want to be able to pedal a little more and do more FR vs. hike a bike. anyway, good luck with the hunt. if you're interested i'd be happy to sell yah mine i can send pics and specs if you want.

mtbr member
    My friend has one he loves it smashes it into everything and off any drop. Pretty damn durable.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    BIG HIT....can somebody tell me the WEIGHT??
    Banshee Rune - Santa Cruz Nomad - Santa Cruz Blur LT - Transition Bottle Rocket

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BIOMASS
    BIG HIT....can somebody tell me the WEIGHT??
    mine is 41

mtbr member
    mine weighs in around 43 lbs... not light, but its a huck rig more than a light guy. I put on some beefy tires, and the single ring system 1 chain guide and it pushed it up there. It can be slimmed down though depending on what you wanna do with it. Personally, i liked the big fork, etc... as it was my first DH bike and thought thats what you were supposed to do it still a great bike IMO....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i see there are some mixed opinions on here regarding the bighit... im just starting to get into the spendy bikes... after destroying wallmart bikes like they were made of plastic i decided to get into something better... so i took all the money i had an bought a 08 hardrock Comp Which was the best bike i could get in my price range.. after breaking the pedals i had a $600 bike... Long story short ive managed to break the fork on it & im now considering the BIGHIT as my next bike... ive riden my hardrock hard for 2 months & i dont think it will handle a full season... People just getting into these bikes are a bit hessitant on spending that kinda money ! 6 grand !! are u NUTS lol both my vehicles arent even worth that ! ... Anyways for this summer im looking at a 08 bighit FSR 2 i can get the FSR1 for 1500 or spend an extra 500 an get the FSR2 which i will most likely do since it has more goodies.... I notice alot of you guys have older Bighits ? anyone have any feedback on the newer bikes ?

Thanks
    ~Dan

shoes
    I have a buddy that has a sick bighit for sale. Roco on the rear. 66 on the front. Probably get it pretty cheap.
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris659
    i see there are some mixed opinions on here regarding the bighit... im just starting to get into the spendy bikes... after destroying wallmart bikes like they were made of plastic i decided to get into something better... so i took all the money i had an bought a 08 hardrock Comp Which was the best bike i could get in my price range.. after breaking the pedals i had a $600 bike... Long story short ive managed to break the fork on it & im now considering the BIGHIT as my next bike... ive riden my hardrock hard for 2 months & i dont think it will handle a full season... People just getting into these bikes are a bit hessitant on spending that kinda money ! 6 grand !! are u NUTS lol both my vehicles arent even worth that ! ... Anyways for this summer im looking at a 08 bighit FSR 2 i can get the FSR1 for 1500 or spend an extra 500 an get the FSR2 which i will most likely do since it has more goodies.... I notice alot of you guys have older Bighits ? anyone have any feedback on the newer bikes ?

Thanks
    ~Dan

hey dan.
    i have input on both the older and the new 08 bighit2 as i own and ride both. the older big hit i have is an 04 bighit comp with plenty of mods. the older bike seems to be way more of a sofa. as in the thign is mega smooth. the frame while being beefy does flex a little but i think it is fine and it adds to the flow of the bike down a trail. the geo is fine for me but some dont liek it. the only real downside is that the 04 bike has the 24" rear which does help keep the center down low but sometimes you can feel the rear wheel workign really hard to clear some terrain. but over all the 04 is a super plush biek with more fo a dh feel. no wmy 08 bighit2 is another story. the frame is brutal. i dont care what anyone says. the thing is so huge and overbuilt and i love it. im a big guy so the weight doesnt phase me at all. but i mean the frame is so strong and true. there is no side flex at all in the bb area and the rear triangle feels super true. the build on the 2 is nice too. there are a few things that i do plan on changing in the future but so far the thing has held up perfect and feels awesome and for what i paid i dont think you could even get a decent frame. (and im not going to say where i got it or for how much because i could get in trouble) but i will say most dealers probably paid more then i did to get the bike in their show room.

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Big Hits are a good bike,...I rode mine and would put it up against any bike

I had one as well (2005) that was totally decked out, nothing stock. I would NOT put it up against any real dh bike for dh racing. It is a great "freeride" bike but is not good for downhill racing.

Bighits are good overall bikes especially if you get the new ones with a 26" rear wheel. I thought my bighit was rad until I got my new bike which made the bighit feel like a flex chicken.
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much space.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    BigEhit~ Thanks thats the feedback id like to hear... Scrwscrnnms~ Looking to buy local.. if i spend that kinda cash id like a warrenty & somewhere to go ***** if something goes wrong lol ; ) The guys at my local shop Rave about these bikes & im hoping they hold up like they say ! im tired of breaking bikes & spending more time at the shop then on the trails/downtown.. Really wish my local shop would get one in for me to ride & see it... but i have to be pretty certain i want the bike before they order one in... im assuming i will have to get used to the added weight... but BigEhit do u strictly ride trails/hills or do u play in the city at all ? thats kinda another deal with me is i like to Play on alot of man made stuff like stairs / & concrete walls... Is it fairly easy to throw this bike around ? or more for downhill fun ?

EastBaySteez
    thats kinda another deal with me is i like to Play on alot of man made stuff like stairs / & concrete walls... Is it fairly easy to throw this bike around ? or more for downhill fun ?
    there are two or three local kids that ride the new 08 bighits. I say prob 14-15 years old and they throw their bikes around like they are BMX bikes. I dont think you have a problem there. But they are beasts to pedal around.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^ welp Like i said If they are beefy then im hoping they alot stronger & im willing to get used to it so long as i dont get stranded in the middle of the trail due to some BS problems...

14-15 lol WOW wish mommy & daddy dished out the Doe for this kinda bike when i was that age lol hell id prolly still have it in one piece !

mtbr member
    BigEhit~ Thanks thats the feedback id like to hear... Scrwscrnnms~ Looking to buy local.. if i spend that kinda cash id like a warrenty & somewhere to go ***** if something goes wrong lol ; ) The guys at my local shop Rave about these bikes & im hoping they hold up like they say ! im tired of breaking bikes & spending more time at the shop then on the trails/downtown.. Really wish my local shop would get one in for me to ride & see it... but i have to be pretty certain i want the bike before they order one in... im assuming i will have to get used to the added weight... but BigEhit do u strictly ride trails/hills or do u play in the city at all ? thats kinda another deal with me is i like to Play on alot of man made stuff like stairs / & concrete walls... Is it fairly easy to throw this bike around ? or more for downhill fun ?
    well the bike is easy for me to throw around but im tipping the scale at 230 and fairly built. the bike i think is about 42 or so i think havent had it on a scale. but the 08 is pretty fun on urban gaps and stuff. there is a park less then 100 yards from my house that from time to tim i go and mess around on the multiple sets of stairs and hill gaps.

StraightOuttaCompton
    they are nice and can take a beating. my friend hucks his pretty good and it s still holding up fine, ready to ride. i would get one as long as you don't plan on getting into pure dh.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Members who have read this thread: 0