big question....what bike to get?- Mtbr.com
    the target bike basher

big question....what bike to get?

Ok, so as most of you know, i have my super dooper giant warp, which i race XC, DH, and goof around in.... well, ive become way more of an avid racer now, and have a big schedule full of races this season. heres the thing, if i keep it up(which i am, and will) dad is letting me get/buying me a new bike . i want basically an all around bike, something that i can run on XC trails, and yet scream down vail this summer in. now my budget is about free to 1400$-ish. i could build up a frame too if it adds up to within my budget. i dont really care about weight, pedaling efficincy(has to be reasonable atleast) and i dont really care if i cant ride hardcore XC on it. so, what should i get? -thanks (and no jacka$$ comments or answers, if you have nothing good to say, dont say a thing)
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

Renegade of Krunk
    I'd check for a used Santa Cruz Bullit. From what I've heard they are about as all-around as you can get while still having a capable moderate fr/dh bike. That's one of the FS bikes I am looking into at the moment.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

pwn3rator
    get an 04 stinky or get a build kit like the ones in magizines, or a haro werx 7/ x-3...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    get an 04 stinky or get a build kit like the ones in magizines, or a haro werx 7/ x-3...
    yeah, my LBS has the stinky for 1200 i like it, im thinking of getting a build kit and buying a frame from soul cycles
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

pwn3rator
    if you can wait till soul cycles comes out with their fs frame... sposed to have 10" of travel ...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

the target bike basher
    price point has a rather good build kit for 569, i could then get a fork and some frame for 500-800 bucks and be set...keep in mind crank bros, thompson, mavic, etc sponsor my team, so i can get good dsicounts on them

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    if you can wait till soul cycles comes out with their fs frame... sposed to have 10" of travel ...
    souls new HT's look awsome(if your sponsored, you know what i mean)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    04-05 coiler...great all around bike, can handle moderate free ride, moderate DH, moderate XC ....over great all mountian.

OR

a santa cruz heckler...this is more towards XC and all mountain and leans a bit farther away from free ride and Dh compared to the coiler, but it can still easyily handle any of it

the target bike basher
    hoookay, i was thinking something like this......
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/138...100-R-Fork.htm and
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13380-120_SHIL24_KIT-3-Parts-135-Build-Kits/Shimano-LX-(M570-Black_Silver)-Team-Disc-Build-Kit.htm
    that frame deal i think is pretty, good, do you think the bike overall would witshand alot of jumping, tiny bit o' freeride, vail, and XC? fox forks have always turned me on......

Youngbuck
    Your not racing XC on it are you? lol if your gonna be racin DH all the time make sure you get a bike that can handle all the DH and more. You always haev your giant to go screw around with XC on.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

the target bike basher
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    Your not racing XC on it are you? lol if your gonna be racin DH all the time make sure you get a bike that can handle all the DH and more. You always haev your giant to go screw around with XC on.
    No, not XC on the futre beast, lol..but i want it to be able to go on trail rides once and awhile

the target bike basher
    oh forgot to mention, i live in MN, and DH racing is VERY tame, the courses are not very rough at all.

the target bike basher
    one MORE thing *sigh, i was thinking, i could sell the included rhino lyte wheelset and buy some deemaxes for 340 with my sponsor deal...how much do rhyno lytes sell for?

MTB SOCAL

Giant or Iron Horse

You have a pretty tight budget. I think you should look at some of the new Giant bikes. I'm not sure how low you can get a Giant Reign (6" travel, light enough for trail riding). Also Iron Horse has some pretty nice full bikes for $1200-1400 range. Here's an example from Supergo http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...604&referpage=. Good luck on your search.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I would go with a Kona Stinky or a Coiler. If you want to go the next level up go with a Mountain Cycle Fury. If you want a HT go with a Norco Sasquatch.

the target bike basher
    are the jack flashes good? cuz im seriouslyconsidering that frame/fox fork deal...