Big Hit Fork Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Big Hit Fork Question

Well I know I just had that huge thread about the Shiver but I missed out on two deals and the price is a little too much for me. So this is my last question(on forks!) What would constitute me needing a 05 Shiver over an 04 Super T. Also which would you pick? Pictures please from people who made their decision already. I really want to know because dishing out $900 just for front forks is tough for a 16 year old.

Thank you and sorry for another post on this topic.

Authority is dead!
    Well, you don't have to buy new. Shiver is a DH fork, plushy-squishy, Super T is narrower, has its tire limitation, not as squishy, but still good for ocasional dh runs.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Well, you don't have to buy new. Shiver is a DH fork, plushy-squishy, Super T is narrower, has its tire limitation, not as squishy, but still good for ocasional dh runs.
    Well I would really prefer to buy new and the Super T seems to pair up with the Big Hit nicely. No mods right? Also you make the Shiver sound so much better. How much worse is the Super T. I realize the Shiver is better but by how much and where does it show? Frankly I would rather have a Shiver anyday but my mountain bike funds are not abundant since much money goes towards another bike.
    Thanks

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by MX 887
    Well I would really prefer to buy new and the Super T seems to pair up with the Big Hit nicely. No mods right? Also you make the Shiver sound so much better. How much worse is the Super T. I realize the Shiver is better but by how much and where does it show? Frankly I would rather have a Shiver anyday but my mountain bike funds are not abundant since much money goes towards another bike.
    Thanks
    Depending from what kind of riding are you doing. # in order: travel (170 will feel more balanced on a stock Bighit if it is one with 5.8"/ 6.3"), stanchions diameter (bigger=stiffer), damping system (SSV is crap that comes in JrTs). If I was you, I would try to find '03 SuperT that had dual HSCVs.

Shiver 190 35 HSCV Cartridge

SuperT 170 32 1 side: Open Bath HSCV cartridges
    1 side: SSV
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Depending from what kind of riding are you doing. # in order: travel (170 will feel more balanced on a stock Bighit if it is one with 5.8"/ 6.3"), stanchions diameter (bigger=stiffer), damping system (SSV is crap that comes in JrTs). If I was you, I would try to find '03 SuperT that had dual HSCVs.

Shiver 190 35 HSCV Cartridge

SuperT 170 32 1 side: Open Bath HSCV cartridges
    1 side: SSV
    Well I know all the technical facts and I will be doing DH with some moderate freeride. I have read that the one SSV cartidge only makes it lighter with no performance decrease. Also my Big Hit has 7.5 inches of travel(04 Comp). I guess my question is Would it be worth it to wait and spend $400 on Shiver forks or get 04 Super T for under $500 now for the style of riding which I do?

Authority is dead!
    '05 shivers are 1K. SuperTs are around 500 I say? If you're planning on building another bike, I say go with SuperT. It's a good fork, '05 Shiver is a show off IMHO.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    '05 shivers are 1K. SuperTs are around 500 I say? If you're planning on building another bike, I say go with SuperT. It's a good fork, '05 Shiver is a show off IMHO.
    Well I can get the shivers for just under $900 and I am not building a bike just replacing the DJ2 fork. How is the shiver a show-off (graphics?) and what does IMHO mean. I am not to up to date on the internet lingo.
    Super T's are looking better
    Thanks

Authority is dead!
    Well I can get the shivers for just under $900 and I am not building a bike just replacing the DJ2 fork. How is the shiver a show-off (graphics?) and what does IMHO mean. I am not to up to date on the internet lingo.
    Super T's are looking better
    Thanks
    900$ vs 500$ @ 16y.o.
    From what I know Shivers haven't changed much internaly since 2001 (ask Zedro or Jm., they know 4 sure).
    IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
    "Super T's are looking better" your words?

If I was you, I would pick up a SuperT.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    900$ vs 500$ @ 16y.o.
    From what I know Shivers haven't changed much internaly since 2001 (ask Zedro or Jm., they know 4 sure).
    IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
    "Super T's are looking better" your words?

If I was you, I would pick up a SuperT.
    I did not mean looks wise just a matter of which I would get. I deserve that after picking at your words! Anyhow I have read that shivers have not changed since 2001 which I find quite astonishing. Talk about ahead of their time. Cannot find too many things that stay popular that long without change.
    Thanks

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Well I know all the technical facts and I will be doing DH with some moderate freeride. I have read that the one SSV cartidge only makes it lighter with no performance decrease. Also my Big Hit has 7.5 inches of travel(04 Comp). I guess my question is Would it be worth it to wait and spend $400 on Shiver forks or get 04 Super T for under $500 now for the style of riding which I do?
    Keep in mind that the 03 Super T. limits your tire even more than the 04. You will be stuck running a small 2.5 or 2.3, if you value ant clearence at all.

04 Super's allowed a small 2.7 (think Maxxis) or a 2.5.

Having ridden an 02 Shiver, 888's, 04 Super T, 03 Jr.T, 03 Boxxer Race, 04 Boxxer Team and a 03 Monster T. I can tell you that the dif between the 02 Shiver and 03/04 Super T is a BIG dif. The Shiver is an amazing fork. More plush than the Super T and just as, if not more, strong and durable as a Super T. Plus you have no tire clearence issues. IMO, I would hold out looking for a used Shiver. They can easliy be had for $400-600 usd. I paid $450 for my used 02 Shiver and know others who've paid around $500.00.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    OK I will have to decide. If I get a super it would probably be an 04 though. I really want a shiver.

Shiveriffic

What's the hurry dude?

I'm sory but Jnr/Super T's suck.... Buy a used shiver off of ebay and quit crying... You said earlier how poor you are; well dropping a G on a new fork is retarded (when you are poor), and spending 500 on a soso fork makes even less sense... You can reduce the travel of the shiver if you bike feels like a super chopper with your 7.5 rear shock (buy one and I will tell you how to do it)... Find anyone with a shiver, ask to ride their bike and then you will understand.. Or hop on a CR250, and it will give you a good idea (or if you know anyone with a late model husky MX bike, some actually have "Marzocchi Shivers"... Be patient, shivers are out there...
    Good luck.. Save your money... Ride a Shiver....
    Cheers`
    Gary

Shiveriffic

Here are a couple today....

NOt the cheapest. But........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

And a cheap alternative to the shiver is this guy... A buddy of mine is running one and likes it.... Not a bad fork for the buck... Not a nice as a shiver but still not a bad fork..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...130296819&rd=1

And a fork that I think feels as nice as a shiver is the Stratos Super 8.. But they often have seal issues (they like to leak)...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...130323359&rd=1

Here you go,
    ~Gary

mtbr member
    Well I know I just had that huge thread about the Shiver but I missed out on two deals and the price is a little too much for me. So this is my last question(on forks!) What would constitute me needing a 05 Shiver over an 04 Super T. Also which would you pick? Pictures please from people who made their decision already. I really want to know because dishing out $900 just for front forks is tough for a 16 year old.

Thank you and sorry for another post on this topic.
    I think a Monster would be best for you. Yeah, the Monster and Bighit work well together from what i have heard.

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grimm

And a cheap alternative to the shiver is this guy... A buddy of mine is running one and likes it.... Not a bad fork for the buck... Not a nice as a shiver but still not a bad fork..

And a fork that I think feels as nice as a shiver is the Stratos Super 8.. But they often have seal issues (they like to leak)...

Here you go,
    ~Gary
    DNM is a POS while Stratos has really bad seals.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    OK I will have to decide. If I get a super it would probably be an 04 though. I really want a shiver.
    Trust me be patient and wait till you find the Shiver. In the end it will be worth it. I've spent thousands of dollars trying different forks and if you know what you want, then I say wait and get it.

Shiveriffic

Not to defend the DNM.................

Have you ever rode a DNM? I have, and I was impressed.... For a little cash the fork has alot to offer.... I have also ridden a Bombshell Carbon Inverted Fork (can't remember the name of it) and it was not that bad either... If you don't have much cash, they are good options... I feel the shiver is the best, but I bet he would be fine on a DNM...
    Cheers
    ~Gary
    Last edited by Mr. Grimm; 01-25-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Authority is dead!
    Have you ever rode a DNM? I have, and I was impressed.... For a little cash the fork has alot to offer.... I have also ridden a Bombshell Carbon Inverted Fork (can't remember the name of it) and it was not that bad either... If you don't have much cash, they are good options... I feel the shiver is the best, but I bet he would be fine on a DNM...
    Cheers
    ~Gary
    Yes I did. I agree, feels good. Ever had to service it? I worked in a bike shop and the mechanic was unimpresssed to say the least about quality and parts availability of those forks. Marlyn (sp?) feels good, but I've seen quite a few of them with broken drop outs and again, parts are pain. I mean, Marzocchi is every second fork I see on the local trails and parts/service is easy and simple. I just bought '99 Bomber for a project and had to buy specific disc mount: 3 days and it's here without endless calls and reminders.

I think if you're buying something big, fork, shock, wheels, you better be sure that it will serve you well for quite a bit of time.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Team
    Man you guys sure do over-pay for your forks that you get. Just get something used. I actually got my Shiver in a trade for my old Junior T. Just keeps your eyes open. Seek and you shall find.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm sory but Jnr/Super T's suck.... Buy a used shiver off of ebay and quit crying... You said earlier how poor you are; well dropping a G on a new fork is retarded (when you are poor), and spending 500 on a soso fork makes even less sense... You can reduce the travel of the shiver if you bike feels like a super chopper with your 7.5 rear shock (buy one and I will tell you how to do it)... Find anyone with a shiver, ask to ride their bike and then you will understand.. Or hop on a CR250, and it will give you a good idea (or if you know anyone with a late model husky MX bike, some actually have "Marzocchi Shivers"... Be patient, shivers are out there...
    Good luck.. Save your money... Ride a Shiver....
    Cheers`
    Gary
    Well I never said I was poor and I am definitly not crying but my main sport is Motocross so most of my money goes towards that. I know what MX forks feel like considering how I ride a 2005 Honda CRF250. Through research I do not think that the bike will be a super chopper so that is not a worry. Also you reduce the travel using spacers right? I will be looking for shivers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Here you go,
    ~Gary
    OK Thanks I want to stick with Marzocchi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    I think a Monster would be best for you. Yeah, the Monster and Bighit work well together from what i have heard.
    Well I think that a Monster would be a little too much. I will mainly be doing downhill with some drops so I think that it would be unnneeded weight. If big drops were all I did then there would be no question.

Glad to Be Alive
    If you want a Shiver...get a used Shiver...just keep looking for one online....If you are worried about a new fork...after you buy the fork send it to Marzocchi and have it totally rebuilt and serviced. It will be just as good as bran new
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    If you want a Shiver...get a used Shiver...just keep looking for one online....If you are worried about a new fork...after you buy the fork send it to Marzocchi and have it totally rebuilt and serviced. It will be just as good as bran new
    Yea I heard that shivers are by far the most rebuildable forks available. How much would a rebuild cost?

Glad to Be Alive
    Yea I heard that shivers are by far the most rebuildable forks available. How much would a rebuild cost?
    Usually all they need is the oil changed...about $50.00.....anything else I don't know how much that cost. 3 years all I ever did was change the oil.

If your Shiver feels a little stiff....or doesn't feel smooth....change the oil....I do mine every 4 months
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Usually all they need is the oil changed...about $50.00.....anything else I don't know how much that cost. 3 years all I ever did was change the oil.

If your Shiver feels a little stiff....or doesn't feel smooth....change the oil....I do mine every 4 months
    Sounds good thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    talk to Ronnie in the tech dept. 800-2275579

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is this a drop crown?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Glad to Be Alive
    Is this a drop crown?
    yep.....................................

your mom
    my buddy is also thinking of getting a shiver but is afraid it might be too tall for his bike. when you reduce the travel does it lower the height or just bottom earlier?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How would a White Brothers DH 2.0 compare to a shiver. They look sweet. Would the 8 inch version rake out the bike too much. I think that there is a $25 kit to make them 7 inch.
    I am seriously looking into these forks.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Authority is dead!
    I have abuddy who swears by these. He used to have a shiver, but switched to these because he got them for cheap. He just loves it. He says "it feels like Shiver, but a little better". Oh well, if you can afford it...
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

read this...

How would a White Brothers DH 2.0 compare to a shiver. They look sweet. Would the 8 inch version rake out the bike too much. I think that there is a $25 kit to make them 7 inch.
    Thanks
    thread White Bros DH 2.0 pay particular attention to the flymybike (lance canfield) response.

Glad to Be Alive
    Thanks
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    OK Thanks. How much worse are the 04 over the new 05. I have a better chance of getting those. Do you think the 8 inch setting would be too much.
    Thanks RED and Lucky

Team
    OK Thanks. How much worse are the 04 over the new 05. I have a better chance of getting those. Do you think the 8 inch setting would be too much.
    Thanks RED and Lucky
    IF you are talking about the Shiver, all of them are the same 01-05 just chaanged the graphics every year. Interenals stay the same.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Thanks RED and Lucky
    Just got off the phone with WB, had a couple questions of my own so I figured what the heck I'd ask about the difs. The basic difference between the 04 and 05 comes down to more bushings & better bushing overlap, which makes the fork stiffer, plus an air assist. The 05 also has a new spring system and only has 2 spring options, medium and really f*in stiff. WB feels most people could use the mediums with the air and be fine. The guy I spoke with said that with 40psi in the fork it was practically impossible to move. Anyhow, hope this helps.

One more thing, the longest stackheight you can run between the crowns on the 1.8 or 2.0 is about 7".

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Just got off the phone with WB, had a couple questions of my own so I figured what the heck I'd ask about the difs. The basic difference between the 04 and 05 comes down to more bushings & better bushing overlap, which makes the fork stiffer, plus an air assist. The 05 also has a new spring system and only has 2 spring options, medium and really f*in stiff. WB feels most people could use the mediums with the air and be fine. The guy I spoke with said that with 40psi in the fork it was practically impossible to move. Anyhow, hope this helps.

One more thing, the longest stackheight you can run between the crowns on the 1.8 or 2.0 is about 7".

good info Red

I will never give up my Shiver

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Alright cool thanks. How flexible are the 04's?

Cynical Bystander

CurbHucker told me that on his new '05 he can do an 11ft drop to flat while being nose heavy and not even bottom out the fork....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.