Big Hit comp opinions please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Big Hit comp opinions please

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to pick up an 03 Big Hit comp frame and I'd like to know a bit more about it. Do you have to run a 24" rear wheel on this thing? What can I expect having never ridden a 24 before? Will climbing be horrendous? I like to hit 5 and 6 foot drops but I also don't shuttle or use lifts so it has to climb.

Also, is the link upgradeable for more travel?

Thanks,
    Andy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ya, you have to run a 24. It won't really effect climbing, but rolling over rocks and such will be harder for the bike, causing it to slow down, which sucks. It should climb okay. Link is upgradeable for more travel.

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    My friend had an 03' bighit comp with a biglink and progressive 5th element. It gave it around 8 inches of rear suspension I believe.
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much space.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can run a pretty huge tire on that 24 though, right? Will that help it roll better?

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    I believe there are aftermarket chainstays for some models that allow you to run 26" rear wheels. I'm not positive though.
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much space.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by haromtnbiker
    I believe there are aftermarket chainstays for some models that allow you to run 26" rear wheels. I'm not positive though.
    I don't know if they made them for 03 models, either way I wouldn't recommend them, I heard they are horrible

mtbr member
    Stick with the 24" rear. The Bighit is a great bike and proven design.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    I don't know if they made them for 03 models, either way I wouldn't recommend them, I heard they are horrible

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Okay, so I've got one saying the 24 sucks and another saying proven design, great bike with the 24. I'm not hitting big gaps (yet) but I'm hitting medium drops and getting bigger. Will this bike ride that and everything else, including lots of XC with my girlfriend? (If it slows me down on XC that's fine for her sake...) Will this work out for me?

Also, can I fit a 3.0 on this swingarm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't mean to come off as saying the 24" sucks, it just isn't ideal. You just won't hold quite as much speed on fast downhill sections which should only be a really big deal if you're racing. I don't know what the max tire is that fits, but it should fit fairly big tires. It is a good bike.

Cynical Bystander
    It's all in perspective. In some instances the 24 sucks, but overall it'll be just fine, and if you're just starting out there's no way you'll notice the flaws of it. The bighit is an amazing bike that will work excellently for tech stuff, jumps, and occasionally be up for some climbing.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, your guys' advice (and the price..) has me sold. We'll see how it all works out. Thanks a lot!

If you've got to grunt a big bike up steep hills the 24" is actually kind of nice. You go less distance with one revolution of the cranks in 22x34 with a 24" rear than a 26" rear, so you don't have to put out as much force in each pedal stroke. It's not at all a bad design, just different. Hitting large bumps will slow you down more with a 24 than a 26 (there are plenty of threads on this, some even have explanations about the physics-gasp!) Practically the difference is not really that noticeable --especially since you will be on a bike that can't take a 26 anyways so you can chalk it up as just part of how that bike rides-- and you will have way more influence over how fast you're rolling than the size of your rear wheel. You can ridej any XC on a bighit with a double or triple chainring setup. It'll be somewhat slower than a XC machine, but if you're not racing XC who cares? It'll make you a stronger rider.

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    i own a 2003 bighit comp...I have been riding bikes with 26 and 24's in the back and the differance isnt as big as people seem to think...yes, a 24 is slower then a 26, but its easily fixable by adding a larger front chainring...as it was said before, the big differance comes when you are racing. for that, 26 int he back is ideal. as for climbing, the bike does it eaasily...I never walk my bike up---jus switch to my granny gear and sail up the hill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow
    Hi all,

I have an opportunity to pick up an 03 Big Hit comp frame and I'd like to know a bit more about it. Do you have to run a 24" rear wheel on this thing? What can I expect having never ridden a 24 before? Will climbing be horrendous? I like to hit 5 and 6 foot drops but I also don't shuttle or use lifts so it has to climb.

Also, is the link upgradeable for more travel?

Thanks,
    Andy
    i can't get enough of mine.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow
    Okay, so I've got one saying the 24 sucks and another saying proven design, great bike with the 24. I'm not hitting big gaps (yet) but I'm hitting medium drops and getting bigger. Will this bike ride that and everything else, including lots of XC with my girlfriend? (If it slows me down on XC that's fine for her sake...) Will this work out for me?

Also, can I fit a 3.0 on this swingarm?
    You should be fine. 24" wheels climb easier, albeit slower, so that's a plus.

Yes you can fit a 3.0 tire fine. In the past I've tried the Kujo 3.0 & Gazzi 3.0's with no probs.

Good luck.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by haromtnbiker
    yes they do make an aftermarket chainstay....it is made by BETD

The big hit comp is a great bike to sharpen your skills on.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yes they do make an aftermarket chainstay....it is made by BETD

The big hit comp is a great bike to sharpen your skills on.
    Average estimated US cost for that part is about $600.00 USD. Enjoy.