Big hit 1 or Flatline three- Mtbr.com
    Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

Big hit 1 or Flatline three

I want to start doing dh, but my Cannondale F8(Entry XC bike) will not hold up.

I checked both bikes out at my LBS. I personally like the flatline better but it's about 1800$ CAN than the bighit.

Should I save up for the flatline with better components or save up for the big hit with cheaper components?

I would probably like a heavier bike for fitness reasons. If I pedaled a 45 pound downhill bike uphill everyday, I would be way fitter than I am right now probably.

Tomorrow I'm heading over to my LBS to see if I could get a job doing like 3 hours a day and get paid in store credit.

I dunno, but whats your opinion on the two bikes?
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

THELAND photographer
    go big or go home? whats the price difference? and can you afford to wait for the flatline? Sweet lookin bike, i have a friend that did break one tho..has a 90* HTA now...hit a tree front wheel is not horrible, fork is in perfect running order, frame kinked right at the top of the flat section hmmmm

sweet bike tho
    No matter what you do, go ahead and take the chance and live a bit crazy
    www.freeridepark.com
    Http://jah9417.cias.rit.edu

If you think you can
    i would say wait out for the bike with the better components. You will probably end up upgrading them eventually anyways, and it will cost much more money to do it down the road.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I actually have owned both a bighit and a flatline. I can tell you that the flatline out performs the bihit in every aspect. it is stiffer, jumps better, corners better, handles rock gardens better. get the flatline it is super sick. if you get a bighit, just don't ride a friend's flatline... because that is what i did

THELAND photographer
    Quote Originally Posted by virginhucker
    if you get a bighit, just don't ride a friend's flatline... because that is what i did

ha. i think thats the way any new bike purchase goes

if you dont have a DH bike...dont ride one your gonna want to buy one...
    i think that thats true with any sort of bike minus a single speed rigid 29er
    No matter what you do, go ahead and take the chance and live a bit crazy
    www.freeridepark.com
    Http://jah9417.cias.rit.edu

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I have a 2008 Flatline 3 and I'm pretty happy with it. I still have some upgrades to do to it for weight savings, but as far as the frame goes I'm happy. It's stiff and the weight is centered really low. Very stable at speed.

I've ridden bikes that perform a touch better suspension wise, but with a good tune on the shock it's dialed. The Big Hit's center of gravity is a bit taller and the frame isn't as well crafted IMO. Rockys are just nicer to look at besides the fact that it is a better DH bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    I am another happy flatline owner, its a nice fast stable bike. I went for the cheaper version and then upgraded all the parts to what I wanted, down now to 42lbs, but I dont think I would go that route again. Buy what you want/need up front, its cheaper that way.

Members who have read this thread: 0