Big Bear Fall Classic/My 1st DH race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Big Bear Fall Classic/My 1st DH race

well I will be registering for the fall classic soon. just wondering if anyone else will be up there. Any tips for a first time racer? I'm thinking I should really try to get my E13 DRS before the race. any bike setup tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    AJ

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

One word...

PEDAL!

Not sure what course our on, couldn't find the info on Team Big Bear, but whatever it is just don't stop pedaling. Big Bear has allot of pedally sections and if you let up you'll definitely lose your place. Also be sure to reserve something for your 2nd run, don't want to bonk on that last run.

I did my first race at the AM Cup 4, Sport class, and after my first run which I pedaled quite a bit I was in 6th out of 12. After my 2nd run, which I didn't pedal quite as much and I crashed, I finished in 9th.

Good luck and just remember to have fun. After all that's what it's all about.

mtbr member
    ya I figured. Especially if the beg/sport is running Log Chute like they did in #3 then I know there a good bit of pedaling. I'm really going to want that chain guide. you going to be at this one Red?

I've also started a training program kinda. I'm basically coming back into biking after 3 years of laziness and being horribly out of shape. Riding 8-15 mile XC rides on my bullit(still setup for DH) 4+ times a week trying to get myself back in shape for the pedaling sections to keep up my energy and power.
    I'm going to run in the Beg. 19-24 group so we'll see how that works out.
    AJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser
    ya I figured. Especially if the beg/sport is running Log Chute like they did in #3 then I know there a good bit of pedaling. I'm really going to want that chain guide. you going to be at this one Red?

I've also started a training program kinda. I'm basically coming back into biking after 3 years of laziness and being horribly out of shape. Riding 8-15 mile XC rides on my bullit(still setup for DH) 4+ times a week trying to get myself back in shape for the pedaling sections to keep up my energy and power.
    Don't know if they'll use logchute, i went down it yesterday, and it's way messed up, there were log chips in one section, and it's all blown out, way way worse than it was at AM3.

Cynical Bystander
    Pedal until youre going to die.(period)
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    hm....guess I'll switch back to a 2.3" rear tire..the 2.6" is kind of a beast to pedal and accelerate hard.
    AJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    hm....guess I'll switch back to a 2.3" rear tire..the 2.6" is kind of a beast to pedal and accelerate hard.
    I wouldn't switch it. Most guys are running 2.5-2.7 tires cause of how loose and rutted it is.

mtbr member
    I'm running the specialized Pro Rollers front and rear right now. I choose them over maxxis high roller for that reason cause they have a similar tread but are a little deeper. guess I'll play it by feel then. bring them both up. just ordered my E13 DRS and new handle bars. old eastons were bent last time in big bear.
    AJ

Cynical Bystander
    If you have the high rollers you might wanna toss those on to have a thicker sidewall, seems to me I remember Specialized's having a very thin sidewall but I havent ridden them in over a year.....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    If you have the high rollers you might wanna toss those on to have a thicker sidewall, seems to me I remember Specialized's having a very thin sidewall but I havent ridden them in over a year.....
    No I don't have high rollers but will probably get them next do to the sidewall on these specialized's. they are pretty thin.
    AJ

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Yeah, the #4 was on Fall Line and man that was allot of pedaling at the bottom. I got my taste of racing, but like you I want to train more before giving it a real go so I won't race again until next year. Plus, I'm going to Interbike for the week and doing some Bootleg riding on the following weekend so I can't make it.

Traing it going to be key. I've just started a new training regime as well. I'm going to mix my training up with 4-5 days of road doing 20-40 miles a day, along with some very specific weight training and stretching. Along with some XC rides thrown in on the weekends/weekdays to help break up the road riding a bit.

My first 1-2 races next year will be beginner since I have to move up an age group, I want to get a feel for the competition. Then I should move up to Sport if all goes well.

I wish you all the luck, it should be a blast.

mtbr member
    they had you pedal back at the end of falline?!...that sucks. have fun at interbike, wish I could make it to that.. too bad school and work get in the way.
    AJ

I wanna talk to Samson!
    No I don't have high rollers but will probably get them next do to the sidewall on these specialized's. they are pretty thin.
    like others have said, pedal your ass off!!! go easy your first run, save yourself for the second and go all out.

for am cup 4 we were racing fall line, pretty much it blows. they were starting the race about half way down, and you had to pedal pretty far to get to the start. then you had to ride all the way back to the lift from the end of fall line. it sucked. hope we can race summit or something this time.

oh yeah, try and get your tire pressures right. my first run i popped my back tire about half way down.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Cynical Bystander
    For your first run try running a bit higher of a psi, like mid 30s that way you get some traction on the course but enough so that you dont pinch and little enough to grab onto things. After yoru first run adjust accordingly, depending on the course you'll probably drop down to mid 20s.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    they had you pedal back at the end of falline?!...that sucks. have fun at interbike, wish I could make it to that.. too bad school and work get in the way.
    No it ended at almost the fire road, but that whole bottom section after the rock section is allot of pedaling. I'm used to more downhill on my downhills. Hence the need to train a bit differently. But no biggie, next year will be all good.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    For your first run try running a bit higher of a psi, like mid 30s that way you get some traction on the course but enough so that you dont pinch and little enough to grab onto things. After yoru first run adjust accordingly, depending on the course you'll probably drop down to mid 20s.
    yeah, kinda depends on course though.

frigging fall line rocks!!!arrgh.
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    last time I pinched my rear landing a tad short on the tabletop at the end of westridge but that was running a max of 20 psi. I figure I'll run in the 25-35 range depending on course and conditions.
    I'd love to race westridge but I doubt they'll put the beginners on it. oh well.

edit: wow..my brain isn't working right at work
    AJ

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Yeah, the #4 was on Fall Line and man that was allot of pedaling at the bottom. I got my taste of racing, but like you I want to train more before giving it a real go so I won't race again until next year. Plus, I'm going to Interbike for the week and doing some Bootleg riding on the following weekend so I can't make it.

Traing it going to be key. I've just started a new training regime as well. I'm going to mix my training up with 4-5 days of road doing 20-40 miles a day, along with some very specific weight training and stretching. Along with some XC rides thrown in on the weekends/weekdays to help break up the road riding a bit.

My first 1-2 races next year will be beginner since I have to move up an age group, I want to get a feel for the competition. Then I should move up to Sport if all goes well.

I wish you all the luck, it should be a blast.
    where were you at am cup 4. no bighit with monsters was seen.....
    JackNugz

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

Hope this helps...

well I will be registering for the fall classic soon. just wondering if anyone else will be up there. Any tips for a first time racer? I'm thinking I should really try to get my E13 DRS before the race. any bike setup tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    As far as training for dh goes, a race run is pretty much 3-7 minutes of anerobic hell (and if you don't think so then you need to PEDALPEDALPEDAL!!!). I would definitely throw some all out 7 minute bursts in. It's good to get used to being in that state because alot of mistakes are made when you're that beat & trying to maneuver. A good saying- "Train like you race 'cause you will race like you train". Maybe I'll see you there, I'm in sport class, all black bullit. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    im thinking about racing this also, are there alot of uphills or mostly downhills, and are there alot of jumps?

mtbr member
    as far as I know and trails I've run big bear is mostly downhill there are a good few heavy pedaling section but no real climbing(might be in the middle of westridge, not sure if they use that). just mostlye despends on what trails they use for the course. its not posted yet.
    AJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Westridge is almost a certainty. The pros raced it I think in am cup 4, so they will probably get Summit. Beginner/Sport hasn't raced Westridge since the beginning of the season and we have since raced Log Chute, Summit, Fallline. So Westridge should be the one, unless it gets shut down for some reason.

Typically they don't post the course until the week before the race.

As far as pedally sections, normally you have the sprint at the start which is prettty easy with a slight uphill just before starting the downhill. There is a pedally fireroad section in the middle , but they hardly ever use that during races. They normally open a section that cuts thru the trees and bypasses most of the fireroad just before the series of BMX style jumps. After that its pretty much downhill until the final flat sprint after the tabletop. If you give it all you got at that point you should be ready to puke by the time you cross the finish line. If you don't feel like you're gonna puke, then you took the final sprint to easy and you need to crank up the intensity. Westridge is long about 6 to 8 minutes for most guys. Not many can bust 6 min's, but some can. Thats a pretty long run at race pace to be finishing up with a long, flat sprint. Westridge is really Big Bears most physically demanding course. Try to get in at least 2 practice runs before your race and figure out how to pace yourself correctly.

One other thing. TBB has been doing a good job of trying to add in some East Coast style tech sections thru the trees. You can't alway use these on non race days since they fence them off when they aren't racing. So don't think if you have be up there practicing a few times on non race days that you got it covered. Come race day they may send you down some steep, loose, rutted, narrow, knarly stuff with squared off turns at the bottom that you have to get around even though you and your bike may have parted ways half way down the hill. Without a doubt, Big Bears best course. I can't wait!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the info! I think this my be my first race .

mtbr member
    ok that sealed the deal. I'm faxing my registration tomorrow. this should be a fun first race. can't wait.

Motox..if ya wanna meet up let me know..seems like we'll have a little group of first timers up there.
    AJ

Glad to Be Alive
    breath as much as possible so you don't get tired

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    where were you at am cup 4. no bighit with monsters was seen.....
    Nope no Monsters. Decided for racing to go lighter, so I have a Shiver on there now. If you saw a guy on a Big Hit wearing a Kenda jersey, that was me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    will there be a xc race also?

mtbr member
    I'm running the specialized Pro Rollers front and rear right now. I choose them over maxxis high roller for that reason cause they have a similar tread but are a little deeper. guess I'll play it by feel then. bring them both up. just ordered my E13 DRS and new handle bars. old eastons were bent last time in big bear.
    What rings you gonna run on the DRS? I would suggest something like 26/38 or equivilent since you will spin out a 32 or 34 on a DH course. I spend most of my time at bigbear in 38/11 or 38/12 so I can't imagine what a 32 front ring would be like... other than a windmill.

For many of the so-cal courses the 2.5 highroller rear with either a 2.5 or 2.7 minion DHF seems to do the trick. I'm really happy with my 2x 2.5 maxxis up at BB. I ran them a little lower last weekend... probably 27ish front and about 32 rear.

I would be up there, and still might since my roommate (with the 222) wanted to race it. On the other hand my other roommate (the guy with the red builtt) took a header on saturday and is out of riding for 6 months or a year... he's glad he had a good helmet on though.

Removed at birth
    AJ, I'm glad to hear that you'll be racing. Unfortunately I won't make it to that race, as I am moving tomorrow. A couple of things for you for the race. Beacause you only weigh about 150 lbs, you will want to run your front tire at 20psi, and your rear at about 25psi. I'm hoping that the Specialized tires that you got are the Roller RS. The sidewalls on the RS are sufficiently stiff to handle the low pressures. Also, having the chainguide on there will help tremendously. Run your rear shock with no preload whatsoever, so when you are sitting on the bike you are getting about 35% Sag. This will help keep your rear tire on the ground a little better. Good luck, and let me know how it goes. Keep in touch.
    Peace out! War In!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weyvoless
    AJ, I'm glad to hear that you'll be racing. Unfortunately I won't make it to that race, as I am moving tomorrow. A couple of things for you for the race. Beacause you only weigh about 150 lbs, you will want to run your front tire at 20psi, and your rear at about 25psi. I'm hoping that the Specialized tires that you got are the Roller RS. The sidewalls on the RS are sufficiently stiff to handle the low pressures. Also, having the chainguide on there will help tremendously. Run your rear shock with no preload whatsoever, so when you are sitting on the bike you are getting about 35% Sag. This will help keep your rear tire on the ground a little better. Good luck, and let me know how it goes. Keep in touch.

Rob..sorry to hear about your roommate...you can also tell him that the 5th deal fell through thats why I never sent him the info on the guy if he even cares about that anymore. wish the best for him. I'll be running a 22-36 setup in front. I figure the 36 should be just about right for me.

Ben- ya it should be fun I definatly caught the race bug(will be racing the entire fontana series too). I've picked up the pace(a lot) since the Super T went on.yes they are the RS's. I listened the last time you guys talked about race suspension setup and my rear is already setup like that. been doing my XC rides with it like that too..lol. I'm going to play with pressures but plan to be somewhere around that.
    AJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoxpro
    will there be a xc race also?
    yes there is also an XC race. it will be held on sunday the 10th
    all race info can be found at teambigbear.com
    AJ

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Nope no Monsters. Decided for racing to go lighter, so I have a Shiver on there now. If you saw a guy on a Big Hit wearing a Kenda jersey, that was me.
    no wonder...thats cool about the shiver. i did see you, i just didnt know it was you. cool, well ill probably see you there.
    JackNugz

airin' it out in the 951
    I've decided to race (cause AJ convinced me to). It'll be kinda hard though because I'll have to set up my super t for the first time and I'll only be there for race day. Look for a silver bighit (stickerless) + super t and black fox gear.

mtbr member
    we will have my Blue/Polished Bullit with an 02 Super T and my buddy will probably be riding SHIVER ME TIMBERS old 02" brown bighit w/Shiver most likely. I'll be in black/grey azonic jersey with white arnette goggles
    AJ

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillzeypher
    I've decided to race (cause AJ convinced me to). It'll be kinda hard though because I'll have to set up my super t for the first time and I'll only be there for race day. Look for a silver bighit (stickerless) + super t and black fox gear.
    see you there zeypher! what are you gonna race?

i wish i had more time at big bear, i havent even ridden westridge.
    JackNugz

airin' it out in the 951
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    see you there zeypher! what are you gonna race?

i wish i had more time at big bear, i havent even ridden westridge.
    Yeah, it'll be my first race. :thumb:

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Course Update: They don't know what the courses are going to be yet. Pat said they are waiting to hear some stuff back from the SNow Summit people. I"ll post an update when i hear from him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I read that the xc practice is like 4-Sat does this mean that the xc practice will be goin on during the downhill practice?

mtbr member
    theres is no scheduled XC practice. the DH racing should be done(excluding super D) by 1pm on saturday. XC registration doesn't even start until 3pm on saturday. The XC course is open on friday for practice though. DH is not

Friday Oct 8, 2004

Reg Open 4pm-7pm
    XC Course Open 1pm thru Sat
    Note NO DH PRACTICE ON FRIDAY

Saturday Oct 9, 2004

Reg open for Sport & Beginner 6:30am-9:00am
    Reg Open for Experts & Semi-Pros 7:00am-9:30am
    DH Practice Sports & Beginners 7:00am-10:00am
    DH Practice Experts & Semi-Pros 7:30am-10:30am
    DH Race Sports & Beginners 10:30am
    DH Race Experts & Semi-Pros 11:00am
    Super D Practice 1:00pm-2:00pm
    Super D Race (Time approx) 2:30pm
    Reg open for XC Participants 3:00pm-5:00pm

Sunday June 11, 2004

Reg Open 7:30am-10:00am
    Race Start, All Categories - except JO Short Course 11:00am
    Jr. Olympic Short Course Race 2:00pm
    TBB Little Guy's Race 2:30pm
    AJ

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It's Official, westridge it is for the Sport/Beg Classes. Anyone know how the usually lay the course out? I've never raced it. Do you hit Cruiser to get to Westridge?
    Last edited by zutroy; 10-01-2004 at 12:07 PM.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by zutroy
    It's Official, westridge it is for the Sport/Beg Classes. Anyone know how the usually lay the course out? I've never raced it. Do you hit Cruiser to get to Westridge?
    at am cup 4 i think they were starting out of a gate right near the lift.

sweet that its on westridge, wish actually had some time on it though.
    JackNugz

airin' it out in the 951
    Well, I'm not gonna be at the race... My mom won't drive me and I don't have a license for 2 weeks. I wish I could race though, Westridge is my favorite course!

Well at least I'll be there the w/e after though...

mtbr member
    thats a bummer man. next time. I'll be seeing you at Fontana then.
    AJ