Better Freeride bike, VP Free of Versus Blitz2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Better Freeride bike, VP Free of Versus Blitz2?

If the build was similar which frame (2009 Versus Blitz 2 with DHX coil or 2007 VP Free with DHX coil) would yield a better do all bike including freeriding, some light DH, and yes uphill pedaling.

Thanks for your input!

Dan

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have an 06 VP Free and love it. Done a Bootleg Canyon race and regular shuttle/DH rides. Also have pedaled it regularly all last summer.

Get the one with the ISCG mount though! A moving chainguide is a horrible thing!

Bum Buzzer
    I'd say the VPF for the pedaling - Blitz iz definitely a killer ride, but less of a pedaler. Blitz is likely a bit 'poppier' tho.

I have an 06 VPF as well, no ISCG..

Glad to Be Alive
    I'd vote VP
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I rot before I ripen
    Where are you getting a 2009 Blitz from?

I ride a 06 Blitz 2 for FR w/ a DHX 5 and Zoke 66. Very happy with it. Run a 36T single and it's my pedal bike. DH build, single-ply tires at 41 pounds.

I've ridden it a few times on DH courses and was not happy.

For DH, I ride a v10. Nite and day difference, right. I'd say the VP Free will do a better job on the DH, given the pedigree.

As for maintenance, I've had to change bearings on the v10. Quite the procedure.

The Blitz? Never touched the pivots until 2 weeks ago when one of the bearing caps came loose. As an experiment, I took the pivots apart. Super easy to remove and clean. Put it back together within 10 minutes.

Hope this helps.

damon

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The just got the Blitz direct from Versus and it appears as though it may be the last one they put out. The FR/DH I tend to do is mostly Snow Shoe, Wisp, Boyne Highlands (three closet placed to Detroit). The reason I am asking about the VP free is I current own the above mentioned Blitz and a 6.6 and am planning on going from two bikes to one and a potential deal on the VP Free came up. It would involve me giving up the blitz and some cash for the VP and selling the 6.6

Do you think the VP free is capable of doing everything the blitz and 6.6 can do an then some?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oh yeah... the pivot bearings. I've done them twice. With the proper tools and the very detailed instructions from Santa Cruz, they're tedious, but not all that difficult.

Members who have read this thread: 0