mtbr member

Best week for Whistler?

I know there are going to be a lot of unhelpful answers, but here goes:

If you could spend a week at Whistler any time, when would it be?

Let's cross off Crankworks or any other event (imagine for a second that watching other people ride doesn't do anything for you, you don't like crowds, and you'd like the option to ride the whole mountain. Yes, I know there's always going to be crowds, but I don't want to be there on the most crowded weekend of the year).

Trail conditions? I'd imagine earlier in the season is better than later. Weather? Is there any time rain is less likely?

I've never been before, my schedule is wide open all summer, trying to make the most of it...

Biking Like Crazy!
    I try to go about a week or so after the upper mountain opens.
    It can vary due to snow pack which is a lot this year.
    Lift line will be shorter as riders can spread out more AND you can ride Freight Train!!

I just googled the date for upper mountain opening...June 17th.
    2017 Banshee Prime
    2017 Niner Rip 9 RDO Pushed Version!
    2015 Ibis HD3 w/ Push ASC3
    2014 Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Mid/late June to get the upper mountain, or mid/late September as the trails are super buffed out after Crankworks, and late season is usually dead. You can also buy a late season pass for most of the month of sept which makes it suuuuper cheap, the longer you stay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mid to late June and mid to late September would be my choices. Summer will be busy. Not so much the actual mtn but the town.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    My vote:
    Any time between opening to Crankworx (CW and August are a mess because it gets so busy and the trails are beat to hell). Then September to closing. During the fall they'll fix some of the more popular trails.

Weekends are complete gong-shows so try for weekday riding.

I can't wait.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The snow depth today, just below Chic Pea restaurant is a little over three metres. In the alpine it will be at least double that. The upper mountain will open later this year unless it gets really warm really soon. Snowed at my house in the valley today. Plan for a later visit this year if you want to ride higher up.

Professional Troll
    If you've never been there before, and you're only going for a short time (<1 week) it doesn't matter if the upper mountain is open. Lower mountain is more than enough to keep you busy for 5-8 days (seriously).

But yeah, late June is probably best overall for trail conditions. After crankworks is rough. I went last week of June, and the week after crankworks last year. I've also been there the week after labor day. The latter is pretty good too, less crowds, and the trails have been rehabbed a little bit since c-works.

July can be pretty good, but july-august you risk it being super dry and dusty. Which is probably better than clapped out, but still worse than mid/late june for trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You may also want to consider when Creek Side is open.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I went for a week last year as well, June 27 through July 4. Perfect time no line and good conditions also Canada day was cool

mtbr member
    I've been there twice. My first time was in 2011, the first week of August. The temps average was 70 I'd say and sunny. One night of rain.

The second time was last year ('16) in the first week of July. The average temp was probably 60 and it was drizzling or foggy almost every day. This is good riding conditions believe it or not.

Weather is spontaneous, so don't think that it won't rain in August or that July is always wet. The higher up the mountain you go, the colder it will be. On the first trip a long sleeve DH jersey was my main apparel with a thin thermal shirt underneath on the cooler days. I believe I wore my hoodie one day also. The second trip a thermal shirt and a wind/water proof shell with good venting was necessary almost every day. If it's raining lightly on the mountain it will be dry in the woods.

Someone said that you can ride the lower mountain and not get bored. They're right. But you don't go to the alps to ski one trail either. That said, the upper mountain was open both times I was there. The Top of the World trail wasn't there my first trip. Last year it didn't open till about 2 weeks after we came home (4th week of July?). Though I wouldn't base my entire trip on that, it's something we'll consider next time.

Bring your own bike. It sounds greatly to test ride a different bike every day. But the reality is that while the bike is set up for you, you'll still have to make adjustments, the tires might be wore down, the brakes take some getting used to, tire pressure, fit and feel, and then tomorrow you start all over again with a different bike. If you're used of your ride, bring it. It cost me $300 RT to fly the bike. That's only going to cover 2 days of rentals.

Bring your bike and the required tools to assemble it in your room. A folding tool is great for the trails.
    A wind/waterproof shell
    Thermal underwear clothing
    Gear- helmet, knee/shin guards, gloves...
    Clothing- shorts, jeans, t's, hoodie, bathing suit. It can be 75 one day and snowing up high the next. The temps might be warm in town and cold up top. Be prepared.
    Money- credit cards are excepted everywhere. My buddy's was rejected twice at Little Tony's pizza shop. The CC company said it was a "high risk retailer" for theft. I had exchanged at the airport $200. Either way on this one.

Idk how long you're going for, but buy your tickets in advance. Call Whistler, don't just go online. I purchased a "4 day ticket" and found out that you need to use it 4 consecutive days. They have a "5 day pass" that can be used any 5 days thruout the year. This gave me the option to take off any day I wanted to. I called them up and they fixed the issue for me.

Don't be afraid to take a day off from riding to let your body rest. Go bungee jumping, get a massage, play golf, go swimming. Your body will thank you.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Gonna jump in here a bit...

Let's say I have 7 days in Vancouver area to do some biking... maybe more, maybe less. How would you spend it?

I was thinking something like:
    - 2 days in the park
    - rest day
    - 1 day in Squamish
    - 2 days in North Van (day each for Seymour and Fromme?)
    - 1 flex day

It'll be a +/- 10 day road trip out from Calgary so I'm thinking I'll hit Sun Peaks on the way as warm-up for Whistler. If SP isn't that great I have no problem skipping it for an extra Whistler day.

bike rider
    Early to mid September. They fix up the trails after Crankworx and it starts raining again, just enough. Go too late and it starts raining too often. Go too early and the trails are dusty and thrashed from summer crowds.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    How long does it take to fix up the trails? Work schedule won't let me come in September, but I can make it for the week or two after crankworx. I'm thinking I'll come through right in time to catch joyride, then spend 4 or 5 days in squamish and north van, then hit whistler for a couple days on the way home - that'd be the sunday/monday one week after joyride.

bike rider
    If you've never been before I say go near the end of July just to make sure Top Of The World trail is open. Hate for you to go all the way there and Not get to ride TOTW, it's one of the best experiences you can have on a bike. Make sure to stop and take it all in periodically.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!