Best way to get into FR/DH?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Best way to get into FR/DH?

Hey guys,
    i've been a member of these forums for a few years but never really post anything. i just read up about stuff. Anyways... I've been riding XC for probably about 3-4 years now. Mainly because thats the only thing i can afford and because thats the only thing my current bike can really handle. (Last AM trip i took i ended up knocking the chain off and bending the front biggest sprocket so far that it actually couldn't put the chain back onto the smallest sprocket.) As of now I'd say i ride fast. None of my friends can keep up with me down the one DH section of the local XC trail even though my bike is about 1/3 the cost of their's. I don't do any huge drops or anything but would love to as soon as i get a bike that can handle it.

Anyways lately I have been saving up to get a used Dh rig. The reason i'm going for used is because I'm on a major budget. Like theres college budget...... Then there is my budget. I know that by the end of the summer I will be able to have at least $1500 for a bike. not including, shoes, and goggles. I'm buying those with other money. I've been looking at pinkbike.com but it seems like every good deal i find sells the next day. I just want something to learn the sport on and maybe start competeing a little bit. I'm only 16 so if it turns into something to where I'm really good at it.... I'm in my prime.... hahah

Some more about me. I'm about 6'3" so a large frame is a must. i live near massanutten mountain in VA so I have a fairly local DH track and I will be making a few trips to snowshoe every year. Basically the goal is to get a decent bike for the best price possible so that I can go out as much as possible.

Here are some of the ones that I have looked into on pinkbike. these are some of the lower priced ones.
    2008 Iron Horse Yakuza Size Large - Pinkbike.com
    07' Iron Horse Sunday Factory - Large - Pinkbike.com
    2009 Rocky Mountain flatline 1 - Pinkbike.com
    2005 norco atomik - Pinkbike.com
    2004 rocky mountain rmx(large) - Pinkbike.com
    Specialized Demo 9- Large - Pinkbike.com
    2004 Kona Stinky, large - Pinkbike.com
    in Eugene, Oregon, United States - photo by Jackryan280 - Pinkbike.com
    2007 Trek Session 7 Large frame - Pinkbike.com

Some of these have been sold i'm just giving a general idea of what I've been looking at.
    Thanks for any help
    really looking forward to getting into DH/FR

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by tdg1x07 View Post
    Hey guys,
    i've been a member of these forums for a few years but never really post anything. i just read up about stuff. Anyways... I've been riding XC for probably about 3-4 years now. Mainly because thats the only thing i can afford and because thats the only thing my current bike can really handle. (Last AM trip i took i ended up knocking the chain off and bending the front biggest sprocket so far that it actually couldn't put the chain back onto the smallest sprocket.) As of now I'd say i ride fast. None of my friends can keep up with me down the one DH section of the local XC trail even though my bike is about 1/3 the cost of their's. I don't do any huge drops or anything but would love to as soon as i get a bike that can handle it.

Anyways lately I have been saving up to get a used Dh rig. The reason i'm going for used is because I'm on a major budget. Like theres college budget...... Then there is my budget. I know that by the end of the summer I will be able to have at least $1500 for a bike. not including, shoes, and goggles. I'm buying those with other money. I've been looking at pinkbike.com but it seems like every good deal i find sells the next day. I just want something to learn the sport on and maybe start competeing a little bit. I'm only 16 so if it turns into something to where I'm really good at it.... I'm in my prime.... hahah

Some more about me. I'm about 6'3" so a large frame is a must. i live near massanutten mountain in VA so I have a fairly local DH track and I will be making a few trips to snowshoe every year. Basically the goal is to get a decent bike for the best price possible so that I can go out as much as possible.

Here are some of the ones that I have looked into on pinkbike. these are some of the lower priced ones.
    2008 Iron Horse Yakuza Size Large - Pinkbike.com
    07' Iron Horse Sunday Factory - Large - Pinkbike.com
    2009 Rocky Mountain flatline 1 - Pinkbike.com
    2005 norco atomik - Pinkbike.com
    2004 rocky mountain rmx(large) - Pinkbike.com
    Specialized Demo 9- Large - Pinkbike.com
    2004 Kona Stinky, large - Pinkbike.com
    in Eugene, Oregon, United States - photo by Jackryan280 - Pinkbike.com
    2007 Trek Session 7 Large frame - Pinkbike.com

Some of these have been sold i'm just giving a general idea of what I've been looking at.
    Thanks for any help
    really looking forward to getting into DH/FR
    Iron Horse out of biz...hard to get parts if it breaks...meaning avoid
    Demos are nice....just keep looking for a steal of a deal
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    $1000 for an 8 year old bike like the demo 9 you linked seems a bit steep for me. I just scored a 2010 Demo 8 that was barely used for a little over $1500 on ebay. Ebay is probably where you'll have the best luck scoring a deal. If someone has a bike that is just out of range, make an offer for something lower.

The prices on pinkbike always seemed a little steep for me for any particular bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i may get flamed for saying this but its my 2 cents...from my last experience when it comes to buying used dh/fr bikes that are that old you should factor in the price of a new fork and a new shock i only say this because those parts take a beating and some old forks are not worth a rebuild and parts may be hard to come by.. my used session 7 needed a $100 shock(new old stock) a $25 shock spring and a $365 fork (new rockshox domain) plus chain and cassete..

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Keep an eye out on ebay as well. I almost bought my wife a '11 Big Hit for $1200 shipped and it was in new condition, also saw a '10 demo 7 go for 1600, so the deals are out there just gotta keep your eyes out.. I personally would not get a bike older than '10 .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ebay is a good way to go. you can find some cheap stinkies on there, also some cheap domo 8's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Of all the bikes i have looked at i do really like the demo's and big hits. Also just out of curiosity what are your all's thoughts on that orange and black rocky mountain? It's located about 2 hours from me but it doesnt matter cuz i wont be able to get the money together in time im sure.

mtbr member
    I will say that the Rocky Mountain Flatline you linked is being sold by a friend of mine and it is in great shape. No more than 50 rides and only one ding in the paint on the downtube from a rock. The new Roco shock has maybe 4 rides on it. The brakes could use a resurfacing an possibly a new bleed but it is a very solid frame, If I wasn't set on buying a TR450 frame next year I'd snatch the Flatline up. It might still be available by the time you get the money together. See ya at Snowshoe sometime.

mtbr member
    One thing though, if you do go with the RM come sit on it first, it's a large but doesn't really feel like it, a little short in the cockpit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    One thing though, if you do go with the RM come sit on it first, it's a large but doesn't really feel like it, a little short in the cockpit.
    Thanks for the warning. That may be a problem considering that most of my height is in my legs. Strange though considering my current bike frame is a 20" and is almost build like a FR minus the rear suspension and i love the way that bike feels even though by most "workers" in the local bike shops opinions that bike is actually on the small side. i love it though. guess it's just personal preference. If it's still available by the time i get some dough i'll have to come down and look at it. and yeah I'll probably be at snowshoe around the 6th of september so i might see you around. unfortunately i won't be able to afford more than once or twice this summer. Considering I need new car tires, and insurance (jesus insurance is high for a 16 y/o) and I'm looking at dropping quite a bit on a bike. So whatever is left I guess.

I have considered doing one of the camps they have their but I don't know if they're any good. I imagine that they would be.

Thanks for all of the help guys
    Will keep looking for them deals

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sorry to ressurect a pretty dated thread but I've got a new question. After spending hours each day looking at used bikes online I'm wondering if i should just buy new to avoid any problems. So what is everyone's thoughts on the airborne taka? It looks like it has good specs for the $$. Nothing about it seems cheap.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Looks good but the part spec on the Sette Vexx looks better. Heard good things about both though as far as entry level bikes go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Alright i've kept looking around and I think i may have an idea. I'm good with bike and can do all of my own maintenance and adjusting but I've always wanted to build my own bike with different parts and i think i may have found an affordable candidate.
    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    I know that some of the components (like the fork) may need to be replaced and at that price i'm okay with that.
    I was unaware that the big hit came with a 21" frame though. Is this correct? This may be just what i need since i stand at about 6' 4" and a lot of it is in the legs.
    Thanks for all of the help guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    find someone you know that has one and have them take you out and show you around

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan788h View Post
    find someone you know that has one and have them take you out and show you around
    The problem with that is that I don't know anybody that has one. None of my friends ride DH because they can't afford the bikes that can handle it. Like me. The only difference is that I have ridden a lot longer and that i am willing to work for a decent bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you go to the races at Mass this weekend?

Anyway, I first got into DH driving 8 hours to Snowshoe. Not sure if Mass rents bike but SS does. They open end of May. Maybe you should go rent a bike or two and see what you like. SS had Specs, Konas, and something else last year.

Check chainsmokeracing.net The forum has a classified section and a couple guys are selling. You find most of your deals right after the parks close for the year as a lot of guys are selling off their bikes to buy next years model over the winter.

Either way, good luck. A new Status might even be something to look into. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1 View Post
    Did you go to the races at Mass this weekend?

Anyway, I first got into DH driving 8 hours to Snowshoe. Not sure if Mass rents bike but SS does. They open end of May. Maybe you should go rent a bike or two and see what you like. SS had Specs, Konas, and something else last year.

Check chainsmokeracing.net The forum has a classified section and a couple guys are selling. You find most of your deals right after the parks close for the year as a lot of guys are selling off their bikes to buy next years model over the winter.

Either way, good luck. A new Status might even be something to look into. Good luck.
    Nah i didn't get a chance because i was over at hillandale messing around on the XC course all weekend.

And yeah Mass does rent out bike but only hardtails as far as i know. I worked up there over the winter in the rental shop and the guys that work in the repair shop (front counter of rental shop) rent out bikes. I know that they sell them too because i was talking to Ed (the manager of the repair and rental shop) and he said I could buy a good bike from them but they only have hardtails. And I have searched the classifieds on here religiously. The only bike i've found that i'm possibly interested in is a giant faith for $950. I don't have the money though

mtbr member
    Rule #1: Don't shop for bikes with no money, it will only depress you. It may motivate you to scrimp am save more so you can jump on a deal but ultimately you're just getting excited with no means to an end. Renting can be crappy cause that takes a coue hundred bucks from your bike fund and gets you no closer to a bike. Snowshoe had some Stinky's for sale at the end of the year before last for $750(ish) so there can be good deals there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    Rule #1: Don't shop for bikes with no money, it will only depress you. It may motivate you to scrimp am save more so you can jump on a deal but ultimately you're just getting excited with no means to an end. Renting can be crappy cause that takes a coue hundred bucks from your bike fund and gets you no closer to a bike. Snowshoe had some Stinky's for sale at the end of the year before last for $750(ish) so there can be good deals there.
    I'll have $650 this Wednesday. I'm selling some stuff and thinking of selling my longboard. I won't have another job for a month or so when school is out. Then i need about half of my summer money for insurance and new tires. It's amazing how easy it is to do a burnout in a set of tires that only cost $250 Gonna get some decent ones for winter though. Especially working at a ski resort in the winter

mtbr member
    Being half broke sucks for sure. I was lucky enough to have good credit so I just got a personal loan for $2,000 when I found the deal on the Iron Horse 7point as they were going under. Payment was only around $100 a month so it wasn't hard to make the minimum and I could easily pay more when possible. Otherwise I wouldn't have sh!t to ride other than my dirt jumper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Agreed. I've been like my whole life for a car. Just got one a few months ago for $5100. Got a hell of a deal. Usually would sell for $7300 or so but my uncle buys cars from auctions and resells them after checking them over. Now i dont have jack ****. I should be able to make about $2000 this summer just working for my summer job and about $1200 in the winter working at massanutten probably more this year since i'll be able to drive to work. I just want to get a bike that can get me decent so that I can enter some races. I'd almost like to build my own bike out of used and budget parts just to say that i can do it. i may end up just doing that. Who knows i'll keep looking.

mtbr member
    Sent you a PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0