Best time of summer for a Whistler trip?- Mtbr.com
    I wanna talk to Samson!

Best time of summer for a Whistler trip?

i'm trying to organize my trip to whistler next year early. as far as weather goes, what is the best time to head up there? i was thinking about going the week before crankworx, and possibly staying for the event, but will it be super crowded? is it better to go at the start of the season, or is whistler good with the upkeep? im super stoked to be heading up there next season, should be good times.

EDIT: i dont like riding in the rain, so i guess what im asking is when is it dry, but not deathly hot.

Can't get right...
    I was there the last week of august and first few days of sept of this year. First 4 days it rained then was nice for 3 days. I was told that in july it was up to 90 degrees. While i was there during the day it was between 65-70 max during the day and almost chilly at night. No need 4 a jacket but a sweatshirt might help. Next year were going back and im gonna plan it for early august or late july. The nightlife is also a little better in mid summer. Was kinda dead late august.(But we didnt go to whistler to have a beer ya know) Rode for 6 out of 7 days. Enjoy your trip.

Garbanzo was reallllll wet but the bottom of the mtn wasnt bad at all even w/ all the rain. They've got the tackiest wet rocks i've ever ridden.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    i'm trying to organize my trip to whistler next year early. as far as weather goes, what is the best time to head up there? i was thinking about going the week before crankworx, and possibly staying for the event, but will it be super crowded? is it better to go at the start of the season, or is whistler good with the upkeep? im super stoked to be heading up there next season, should be good times.

EDIT: i dont like riding in the rain, so i guess what im asking is when is it dry, but not deathly hot.
    Im thinkin like heading up there mid June. Probably like the 16-19 or something to that effect. I dont want a super mud fest, but last time i went was in August and it was rather dusty and crowded. Im thinking late june might be the way to go.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

Yo Paseo El Scream
    about whistler, my dad and me made a bet, lets say you're in whistler in july, would it be possible to snowboard and bike the same time
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeHucker
    about whistler, my dad and me made a bet, lets say you're in whistler in july, would it be possible to snowboard and bike the same time
    I've heard of people snowboarding in August up in Whistler...

Now keep the thread on track.

Yo Paseo El Scream
    ya hehe, i was in kamloops in july, met a friend who stopped at whistler, he was there for 4 days and each day was perfect in the 90's, no rain, so i'd recomend that, i am also planning on going there next year in july
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeHucker

The glacier at the top of the mtn was closed to sking 2 weeks before i got there in the last week of august.You can ski, bike and swim in the pacific in the same morning.
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

Bike Hustler
    Whistler is pretty much rad all season besides late like sept and even then if you dont mind riding in the rain its still great toward the bottom of the park. Spring conditions out here are generally my favorite when the sun starts to bake the top layers of dirt but its still soft underneath. And before it gets too dusty. (watchout on the slimey woodwork until it drys through though!)
    Whistler residents mostly seem to say that while it does start to get crowded around and during Crankworx, thats when the trails will be groomed to the best conditions.
    Also keep in mind that (Cypress Mountain 2 hrs south of whistler) will be doing they're grand opening on July 1st. Somthing to think about... I'm planning one of several trips to hit whistler right then under the assumption that most people will be at cypress checking it out.
    PS... Grooming wise, trail conditions are almost always top shape. Alot of atention to detail from the workers daily up there.
    Your gonna love it!

I wanna talk to Samson!
    thanks so far guys, anymore opinions?

im really stoked on this trip. boxing day night my mom had a lil to much to drink, and she promised to pay for my trip, which was origionaly gonna be financed by selling my old bike. so yeah im super stoked.

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    i've been there the last 4 years in july and its been perfect weather a bit warm so days but thats ok
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member

Weather...

Mid May (mountain opening) to about the end of June is often a mixed bag - you can hit high temps or tons of rain. In 2004, the early season was mainly warmer with a few super hot days (any else race in the Test of Metal?). July and into about Mid-August was quite nice - we had a really good dry spell. However, this year bucked the trend and from about mid-August onwards, Vancouver (and Whistler) has been pretty rainy. Usually we can count on good weather until at least the end of August and often through September and into October - that was definitely not the case for 2004.

If you're worried about crowds, then plan to ride the park during the week days and ride outside of the park on the weekends (yes, there are other trails apart from those on Whistler Mountain and some of them are even good!).
    :)

There's a ton of single track around Whistler, south in Squamish and north in Pemberton. It ranges from somewhat technical XC to full on serious FR. Plus, you can always head down to Vancouver to ride the shore.

Hope that helps.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    One thing to keep in mind is that Garbonzo probably won't be open for the first month the park is open due to the amount of snow they get up there, and waiting for the trails to dry out.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Whistler village monthly average temps. (scroll to the bottom of the page)

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/stats/

Whistler monthly rain & snow averages (scroll to the bottom of the page)

http://www.chiefguide.com/weather.html

mtbr member
    thanks so far guys, anymore opinions?

im really stoked on this trip. boxing day night my mom had a lil to much to drink, and she promised to pay for my trip, which was origionaly gonna be financed by selling my old bike. so yeah im super stoked.
    lucky, I wanna go out there this summer too. Should be fun but I have lots of saving to do
    Sully

Glad to Be Alive
    hey Kona our crew is organizing for the end of July...we are in Simi.....Stops at mammoth, NorthStar, Toads, Downeyville, mckensie river Trail, Falls City and whistler
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    hey Kona our crew is organizing for the end of July...we are in Simi.....Stops at mammoth, NorthStar, Toads, Downeyville, mckensie river Trail, Falls City and whistler
    that sounds like an awesome trip. if i could drive i would be all up for it, and hitting other spots on the way, but i gotta fly.

Glad to Be Alive
    get your pops or mum to drive...we could always use a camera person and shutlle biatches
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Uhhhhh...
    The weather in Whistler sucked up to about 4 days ago when they got about 25cm of powder. Oh wait wrong sport.....

-TS

P.S. snowboarders suck
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    The weather in Whistler sucked up to about 4 days ago when they got about 25cm of powder. Oh wait wrong sport.....

-TS

P.S. snowboarders suck
    snow is all good too

I wanna talk to Samson!
    get your pops or mum to drive...we could always use a camera person and shutlle biatches
    hahahahahaah.

no thanks, shiver. summer after next is going to be epic, however. my dad is buying an 18 seater shuttle bus, and i will have my full drivers license = super road trip. thats a long way off though.

Glad to Be Alive
    hahahahahaah.

no thanks, shiver. summer after next is going to be epic, however. my dad is buying an 18 seater shuttle bus, and i will have my full drivers license = super road trip. thats a long way off though.
    damm and I thought you were going off of that

mtbr member
    the first time i was up in that area, CrankWorx, it was ****ing hot. camped outside, and slept outside my sleeping bag. i have no problems saying it was 100* during the day (not fun with a hangover). later on (4 days later), the folks in Prince George told us it had been a couple weeks without rain, which was really, really odd. i don't know how much the weather varied between PG and Whistler, though. the second time i went through, second week in August, it was a good deal cooler, and the place seemed quite dead. i slept in the cab of my truck, inside my sleeping, and still woke up a little chilled. the days were still warm, but not hot.

mtbr member
    hahahahahaah.

WOW, why is he getting a bus? Thats so awsome.
    Sully

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

when is Crankworx??

I too am trying to get up to Whistler and the North Shore this upcoming summer. When is Crankworx held?

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tep
    I too am trying to get up to Whistler and the North Shore this upcoming summer. When is Crankworx held?
    its been held 3 week of july the past few years
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

Don't skid
    SMT, I'm planning on doing nearly the same raod trip next summer. Maybe we could hook up. I'm from Oregon and have been doing a camping/riding trip at Mt. Hood the first weekend of Aug. with my buddies for the last 9 years. The plan is a road trip with that being the only set in stone stop. I've ridden McKenzie twice, long a$$ trail, and Northstar and Falls City and want to hit them and more this summer. I've never heard of Toads though. Also you guys need to put Hood River on your list. They got some nice stunts up there I hear. How old are you guys and whats the vehicle situation? We should talk.

Bike Hustler

Taken from the whistler bike park website

Crankworx: August 3-7, 2005
    One of the world's biggest and best freeride mountain bike festivals returns for 2005. The festival will include an Air Downhill, Boneyard Biker X, Garbanzo Downhill and the Slopestyle Expression Session. Plans are also underway to hold an invitation only Garbanzo Extreme contest on a new, specially designed course.

Besides the contest action and riding theres allways a ton of demos, industry booth shows, giveaways and hot chicks everywhere.