Best shin guards...- Mtbr.com
    In exile

New question here. Best shin guards...

for urban riding. I have never worn them and the ones I tried were rough on my legs. Anyone have suggestions for something somewhat cool and breathable that protects well for $30 - $50 bones. I acquired two really deep plugs a bit ago and I think now is the time for some PROTECTION. I dug bits of fat out of my leg with this little gig. Ouch.

mtbr member
    Take it from a guy that has seen his bone a few times(and has tried quite a few pads because of it.)......Fox launch knee/shin guards. very breathable. The top strap method(X-up) is so effective, I dont even use the ankle straps on them. around 50-60 bones.

mtbr member
    i just got fox launch shins today. theyre awesome . very comfoprtable and very protective
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

N* Bomber Crew
    I ride 661 4x4's or whatever they're called, and I would only ride shin guards that wrap all the way around the leg and lower knee. The reason I ike the entire "wrap around" style is because it stays on your legs much better without any shifting or moving, and they protect the back of your legs (In case you slip forward on your pedals, which sometimes does happen).
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Larry104
    i just got fox launch shins today. theyre awesome . very comfoprtable and very protective

amen brother

Glad to Be Alive
    roach/race face
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Freeride Fornicator
    Rock Gardn makes some reasonably priced shins that work pretty well. They're pretty light and breathe the best out of everything I've tried.
    Sexual harassment...Panda.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by DjMcStank
    Rock Gardn makes some reasonably priced shins that work pretty well. They're pretty light and breathe the best out of everything I've tried.
    I saw those at ride-this. I am thinking Fox Launch or those. The Launches are only a couple of bucks more though, so I am thinking I will get them. People seem to really like the straps on the Fox guards. I am assuming ride-this is a good shop. I have never used them.

Freeriding Feline
    I'm waiting for a pair of 661 Veggi Shin Wraps. Not sure how breathable they'll be though. Otherwise I have Dainese FR shin guards which I love.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by rocpyro
    ......Fox launch knee/shin guards.......The top strap method(X-up) is so effective.
    yup...they don't ever slip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    so, you're getting recommendations for just about all of them....

I ride the 661 ricochetes (sp?) I like them... as with anything, try a bunch on and see how they feel...

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    If you are looking for just shin guards (i.e. no knee protection) these are the best right here:
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Or possibly these, although I haven't tried them yet
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 10:32 AM.

In exile
    Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I ordered a set of Fox Launch guards from Universal. I also ordered some crown races, so they won't ship for a day or two. I asked them to do them for $60 since ride-this had them for $51. They said, we can do them for $54. The not moving part sounded really good. I will likely roll back up to AR later in the year for some DH so it'll be nice to have a full guard.

Thanks again for all of the responses. If these don't work, I'll send them back and try another suggestion.

mtbr member
    Sorry to be late, but I have yet to find a knee/shin combo that was really comfortable to pedal, for urban riding I use a shin only gaurd and find it supercomfortable for pedalling and have been more then thankful for the protection on many occasions, I run a fox pair, forget what they are called but they are similar to the lizard skins.

I did just order a pair of 661 race knee/shin gaurds, hopefully they work for downhilling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    roach/race face

+1 , I used to use the lizard skins and my shins would feel like they were burning up in a wet-fire . After my first session with the roaches my shins were bone dry.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Sorry to be late, but I have yet to find a knee/shin combo that was really comfortable to pedal, for urban riding I use a shin only gaurd and find it supercomfortable for pedalling and have been more then thankful for the protection on many occasions, I run a fox pair, forget what they are called but they are similar to the lizard skins.

I did just order a pair of 661 race knee/shin gaurds, hopefully they work for downhilling.
    Yup, any kind of skateboard/BMX style knee pad (Lizard Skins, Fox, Rector, 661, etc.) and a quality shin guard is the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

The Storm

Just got the Storm knee shin guard and they rock.Fit well breath amazing and protect great.You cn get them through THE.

the best of both worlds
    Fox Launch pads work well. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. They don't slip and breathe well.

In exile
    I got the Fox Launch and did some riding this evening. Not much, but a little. They feel weird. I maybe should have gotten the S/M, but I am thinking they will be for shuttling when I head back to AR. I am not done for sure, but it's been long enough since I bashed my leg that they seemed like a pain in the ass. I may opt for shin guards only. I am gonna build some little stunts though, so maybe I'll get used to them. I'll review them after more riding.

Pro Crastinator
    i rock the launch pads...

I hate texas
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    I got the Fox Launch and did some riding this evening. Not much, but a little. They feel weird. I maybe should have gotten the S/M, but I am thinking they will be for shuttling when I head back to AR. I am not done for sure, but it's been long enough since I bashed my leg that they seemed like a pain in the ass. I may opt for shin guards only. I am gonna build some little stunts though, so maybe I'll get used to them. I'll review them after more riding.

You kinda tend to overanalyze stuff dude...
    Respect Cape Cult Member #21 "The California Respector"

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicodude01
    You kinda tend to overanalyze stuff dude...
    Here's the bumper sticker version - (although it's a wordy bumper sticker)

I hope they become more comfortable. I have never worn pads before so it may be me. I may just need shin guards and not full pads.

What's that smell?
    Didn't read the thread, but the Fox's are great. It took a few rides to get used to the feel though.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by phxartboy
    Didn't read the thread, but the Fox's are great. It took a few rides to get used to the feel though.
    That's what I am hoping for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    If you are looking for just shin guards (i.e. no knee protection) these are the best right here:
    yep they are def the best. they have saved my shins countless times, and they stay in place all the time. awsome price too.

What's that smell?
    One of mine pinched a bit when I pedaled, but now I hardly notice them.

fastNdirty is right (and the biggest reason I bought them for riding here in Phoenix) about the breathability.

mtbr member
    are all these relatively lightweight and pretty easy to pedal with while on? which ones are designed more for allowing pedaling?

Members who have read this thread: 0