Best online spot for custom wheel builds? And some final decision questions...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303

    Best online spot for custom wheel builds? And some final decision questions...

    I've got some cash together and wanna go for a tubeless set up on my demo 9. I know I wanna go for 823's and DT hubs(unless anyone can convince me otherwise on the hubs), but I have no clue when it comes to spokes/nipples. I'm looking for a combo of light weight and strength in this build, but mainly a strong set up. So any recommendations would be appreciated. Rear hub spacing is 150X12.

    As for buying custom wheelsets, what places have you had the best luck with online? I'm thinking go ride for dependability and knowledge. Anywhere else?


    Thanks
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  2. #2
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    i'd go with Go-Ride, they have everything you need. Although i might wait on the 823s until the new 2005 style comes out, i believe 36hole are in but not 32h.

    http://www.go-ride.com/prod_rims.html

    you can also consider the Hadleys for that size hub. Anyways i'd give them a shout and they'll tell you whats up, great guys to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  3. #3
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,437
    never seen a set of 823's hold up yet.....

    (except SMT. but he goes slow and never leaves the ground.....seriously)


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    That build sounds pretty sick. Id definitely build up the same 823/DT combo if i build something up. (either that or some Saint hubs on a demo 8 to match saint brakes...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  5. #5
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    never seen a set of 823's hold up yet.....

    (except SMT. but he goes slow and never leaves the ground.....seriously)
    I'm hoping this new fix will hold up...

    Some more stuff....
    Brass or Alloy nips? I would take it that brass is stronger, but alloy comes in so many pretty colors

    I'm completely at a loss when it comes to choosing spokes, would anyone recommend DT competitions?
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  6. #6
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,437
    brass is stronger, but i use alloy (red nips w/ black spokes) 100% of the time and have never had an issue in over 20 years.......


  7. #7
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker

    I'm completely at a loss when it comes to choosing spokes, would anyone recommend DT competitions?
    straight gage 14s, keep it simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  8. #8
    SNOWRIDER
    Reputation: Deweydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    I would agree with the Z. as far as the Hadley hubs go but I am very partial ( I love my hubs) give universal a try though I have my own wheel builder (haven't had them build for me) I have bought from them alot with no problems
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biker3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    689
    Konorz you might want to wait on that build. The new DT swiss wheels are RAZOR SLICKZ. They tight, peep them at the DT swiss website, Should be super strong and they run the Nice hubs. You can get them any size you want in the rear and there like 1000 grams for the front wheel and 1200 in the rear. Super light and strong. They are called like the FR 6.1 I think.

    I wouldnt get 823s man, Ive already flat spotted my 729s in the back and im light, Its just not worth the money and im almost certain the DT wheels are Tubeless.

    Also peep the 8 tracks I think u can get them tubeless maybe im wrong but id say DT swiss wheels no doubt.

  10. #10
    your mom
    Reputation: Ace_Jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    you might wanna look at hadley hubs. and i've ordered wheels from universal and so has my friend. both wheelsets going strong

  11. #11
    SNOWRIDER
    Reputation: Deweydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Jellyfish
    you might wanna look at hadley hubs. and i've ordered wheels from universal and so has my friend. both wheelsets going strong
    I was at Universal today (it is my lbs) and Mike told me that Hadley hubs are extremely hard to get right now. Seems they are concentrating on supplying bike manufacturers and not us little guys GLAD I GOT MINE WHEN I DID
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

  12. #12
    your mom
    Reputation: Ace_Jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    plus hadleys come in blingtastic gold

  13. #13
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    Konorz you might want to wait on that build. The new DT swiss wheels are RAZOR SLICKZ. They tight, peep them at the DT swiss website, Should be super strong and they run the Nice hubs. You can get them any size you want in the rear and there like 1000 grams for the front wheel and 1200 in the rear. Super light and strong. They are called like the FR 6.1 I think.

    I wouldnt get 823s man, Ive already flat spotted my 729s in the back and im light, Its just not worth the money and im almost certain the DT wheels are Tubeless.

    Also peep the 8 tracks I think u can get them tubeless maybe im wrong but id say DT swiss wheels no doubt.
    I dunno fool. My 729s are still going strong...a little too strong I dont think the DT's are tubeless, unless I totally missed it.
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  14. #14
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    I dunno fool. My 729s are still going strong...a little too strong I dont think the DT's are tubeless, unless I totally missed it.
    you'll love the bike tubeless...here are some key things for you..

    do one rim at a time. Finish first then go ride for five minutes...then start on the other tire

    Violently Shake bottle of stans upside down for 5 minutes and use 2 of those measure cups (the one that comes with it) . then have use soapy water all around the rim and tire (outside...don't mix w/stans) use an air compressor. Remember to ride around for five minutes...now violently shake that bottle again

    When riding trails ........carry a tube of super glue and a co2 pump
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  15. #15
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    Konorz you might want to wait on that build. The new DT swiss wheels are RAZOR SLICKZ. They tight, peep them at the DT swiss website,..... Also peep the 8 tracks I think u can get them tubeless maybe im wrong but id say DT swiss wheels no doubt.
    i always trust people that cant speak properly
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  16. #16
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    i always trust people that cant speak properly
    You haven't been programmed to understand this new age speak.
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  17. #17
    your mom
    Reputation: Ace_Jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    You haven't been programmed to understand this new age speak.
    nobody programs zedro. he programs himself

  18. #18
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Jellyfish
    nobody programs zedro. he programs himself

    operation error
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  19. #19
    your mom
    Reputation: Ace_Jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    operation error
    zedro is the internet

  20. #20
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    you'll love the bike tubeless...here are some key things for you..

    do one rim at a time. Finish first then go ride for five minutes...then start on the other tire

    Violently Shake bottle of stans upside down for 5 minutes and use 2 of those measure cups (the one that comes with it) . then have use soapy water all around the rim and tire (outside...don't mix w/stans) use an air compressor. Remember to ride around for five minutes...now violently shake that bottle again

    When riding trails ........carry a tube of super glue and a co2 pump
    Thanks for the tips. You gonna join in on the Tunnel ride tomorrow?
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  21. #21
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Thanks for the tips. You gonna join in on the Tunnel ride tomorrow?
    too lazy.....I would have to switch out tires to bigger ones. I have been slipping for the last month on the 2.5 Highrollars...going back to my 2.8 michelins after the race at fontana next weekend.

    If you want help setting the tires up on the 823's...then come down here and I will hook you up After we will call the Huckster, Roaming Oregon and a few others and go for a ride on some of the local trails
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  22. #22
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    too lazy.....I would have to switch out tires to bigger ones. I have been slipping for the last month on the 2.5 Highrollars...going back to my 2.8 michelins after the race at fontana next weekend.

    If you want help setting the tires up on the 823's...then come down here and I will hook you up After we will call the Huckster, Roaming Oregon and a few others and go for a ride on some of the local trails
    Just take of the highrollers clean out the stans and slap on your michies with dh tubes.
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  23. #23
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace_Jellyfish
    zedro is the internet
    his real name is 0101011101010001010011010101011001101

    'nuff said.

  24. #24
    your mom
    Reputation: Ace_Jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    his real name is 0101011101010001010011010101011001101

    'nuff said.
    his real name is WQMV?

  25. #25
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Just take of the highrollers clean out the stans and slap on your michies with dh tubes.
    GOTZ no tubes, but could swap it out and then swap it again for next week, but i am riding w/roaming Oregon and his buddy tomorrow locally. I be up there in three weeks....Happy birthday tomorrow
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  26. #26
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Just take of the highrollers clean out the stans and slap on your michies with dh tubes.
    I would never ride tunnel w/tubes....too many pinch flats....WCH will be a victim tomorrow...and how many more...

    you got some extra bells??? Make sure you guys wear them at least the first 2 riders
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  27. #27
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I would never ride tunnel w/tubes....too many pinch flats....WCH will be a victim tomorrow...and how many more...

    you got some extra bells??? Make sure you guys wear them at least the first 2 riders
    We'll see. I have 2 extra loud Kona cowbells that I will be bringing along.
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  28. #28
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    We'll see. I have 2 extra loud Kona cowbells that I will be bringing along.
    cool remember to add an extra 5 or 10 pounds of air so you don't pinch flat
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biker3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    You haven't been programmed to understand this new age speak.
    exactly, Zedro needs lingo update out the wazooo.

    If u were Racer pimp Konz youd rock the 721 w/ DT swiss or hadley's and just convert to tubeless. 721s are the lightest combo out there plus they give ur tire a real nice profile for railzoring the cutteys in da dustorz.

  30. #30
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    exactly, Zedro needs lingo update out the wazooo.
    well one day when you want to be taken seriously, you know, like a real person, you'll hopefully not have forgotten the english language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biker3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    well one day when you want to be taken seriously, you know, like a real person, you'll hopefully not have forgotten the english language.
    Yeah for sure, my goal is to one day be taken as seriously as MTBR. Ah ah ah Zedro you forgot to capitolize the first letter in your sentence. That is an E-party foul and you must die.

    Im going to go try a backflip off a ladder with my dog and no helmet, peace out.

  32. #32
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    exactly, Zedro needs lingo update out the wazooo.

    If u were Racer pimp Konz youd rock the 721 w/ DT swiss or hadley's and just convert to tubeless. 721s are the lightest combo out there plus they give ur tire a real nice profile for railzoring the cutteys in da dustorz.
    savz da headache bro...juz pimps da 823's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  33. #33
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    da younsters pimping till de enza
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 10:21 AM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  34. #34
    your mom
    Reputation: Ace_Jellyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    da younsters pimping till de enza
    is that a cadillac coffin?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.