Best Freeride Under $500- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: which bike?

Voters
16. This poll is closed
  • Giant STP 1

    8 50.00%
  • Trek Bruiser 1

    4 25.00%
  • GF Opie

    1 6.25%
  • Other (specify)

    3 18.75%
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Kn3wB1e
    Reputation: MaximusNukeage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    57

    Best Freeride Under $500

    What's the best freeride bike on the market today. that costs no more that $500. Not dirt jumping or BMX; Freeride.
    What do you think?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rally Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    434
    NOTHING Sorry man... but there is nothing in that price range. I see that this is your first post. Many people on this forum have spent more than that on a wheel set alone, none the less the forks!! Save some more money, look to spend 2000 on a "decent" freeride bike.

  3. #3
    Chinky on a Stinky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusNukeage
    What's the best freeride bike on the market today. that costs no more that $500. Not dirt jumping or BMX; Freeride.
    What do you think?
    old topic

    u talkin frame or complete (i always get confused)

    complete? go used (p1, p2, etc.)

    want new? good luck
    Straight outta Compton..............

    Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

    DREAM THEATER

  4. #4
    Chinky on a Stinky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Blue
    NOTHING Sorry man... but there is nothing in that price range. I see that this is your first post. Many people on this forum have spent more than that on a wheel set alone, none the less the forks!! Save some more money, look to spend 2000 on a "decent" freeride bike.
    ive never fallen for that bs

    theres plenty of "decent" fr hts for less than 2gs
    Straight outta Compton..............

    Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

    DREAM THEATER

  5. #5
    pwn3rator
    Reputation: scabrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,640
    get a '05 haro x-1, $975.00 out th' door...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    96
    I second the Haro. I rode one of the X frames and they are fun as hell to whip around. Also, I EP'ed a Haro Zero this year fully expecting the Suntour fork on the front to be craptastic, but I was pleasantly surprised. The damping feels decent, and the pre-load adjustment actually makes a noticeable difference in the feel of the fork unlike most other base-line forks. The X-1 shares this same fork so like I said I second scabrider, pony up for the grand and see if someone will throw a deal your way for a bike you can beat the hell out of.

  7. #7
    Cynical Bystander
    Reputation: COmtbiker12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,770
    All the Specialized P bikes, lower Konas, Giant STPs, Trek Bruisers, and even Specialized Hardrocks are plenty fine for freeriding.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

    Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

  8. #8
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,704
    ha! freeride bike for under 500. you b dreamin booyy!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    All the Specialized P bikes, lower Konas, Giant STPs, Trek Bruisers, and even Specialized Hardrocks are plenty fine for freeriding.
    I would go for a P over the hardrock, if you do get one, change the pedals, drive system, and rims(depending). I have one, sure it's a great bike but the stock sport just is breaking itself and can't handle Heavy duty riding. It's a great cheap bike for riding, not for freeride.

  10. #10
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    USED


    Buy used
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MicroHuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    606
    You're gonna find nothing but junk if you think you can get a dual suspension for $500.

    You could find a trail bike but deff. not a FR bike for that price.

    Just go with a hardtail with a low seat.

    I would do this:

    Save up several hundered more dollars

    Get an Azonic Steelhead frame = $150

    RS Pike SL fork = $325

    Find a super cheap used bike and get the seat, crankset, etc. (all the other parts) and put them on the steelhead.

    You can then slowly upgrade parts as you can afford them. You can use rim brakes just fine until you can get some disc brakes.

    That's really the only way you can get a decent bike for cheap and with the parts you want. Having a good frame and fork are the two main priorities, everything else should come second.

    BTW, you can use the wheels and other parts from just about ANY bike out there. I went to a garage sale and bought an older trek bike for $15 and found some V-brakes for $20. I then swapped all of the parts over to my new frame and fork. It worked great and held together long enough for me to slowly upgrade every part.

    The wheels and upgrade to disc brakes should be the first upgrade for a freeride rig. You can also buy several $15 bikes and keep swapping parts as they break.

    Sounds ghetto, but it's the only way to do it for cheap.
    Last edited by MicroHuck; 04-27-2005 at 07:43 PM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrainingWheelz?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    156
    Stolen?

  13. #13
    SNOWRIDER
    Reputation: Deweydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusNukeage
    What's the best freeride bike on the market today. that costs no more that $500. Not dirt jumping or BMX; Freeride.
    What do you think?
    LOL LOL ROFL ROFL
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

  14. #14
    I do small drops.
    Reputation: bikescars101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    215
    I was looking at this really high end bike shop the other day, and I saw this awesome full suspension for $99.99. Um, I think it was called, oh what was it, oh yeah. A NEXT. Those babies are kick ass. Wal-Mart always has good bikes. Always.

    Don't take that seriously, you're gonna need a few hundred more dollars to even begin a search for a real freeride bike. I'd say get $1000, at least, and hit up eBay. My friend just rocked a 2004 Giant DH Team with a 2003 Boxxer Team, complete bike, for $1000. That's what you need to look for, is rare, good opportunities. And a tip: Don't even bother if the auction has a reserve. If you want more tips on eBay, PM me, I'll give you some tips, but don't expect any bike to hold up to freeriding if you pay $500. And I'm assuming you mean American dollars. If it's Canadian, just get out of here.
    "Sorry." John Belushi, Animal House

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: gonzostrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,257
    there is no REAL "freeride" bike that sells for $500. or $1000. and $1500 is a HUGE stretch.

    if $500 is your limit, get a BMX.

    or a used hardtail from someone you know and trust who is generous with the selling price!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the flesh?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    350
    ibex looks like they make a decent one for $1500

  17. #17
    That's my name
    Reputation: mr plow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusNukeage
    What's the best freeride bike on the market today. that costs no more that $500.


    I found one!
    It's the Honda HR265FS and it goes for less than $500!!!!
    Now you too can be like Greg Minnaar for about a million dollars less!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MicroHuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    there is no REAL "freeride" bike that sells for $500. or $1000. and $1500 is a HUGE stretch.

    if $500 is your limit, get a BMX.

    or a used hardtail from someone you know and trust who is generous with the selling price!
    $1500 not enough for a dope FR bike? WTF are you smoking?

    I've seen base model Kona Stinkys go brand new for just over $1500. But we all know those aren't anywhere close to a FR bike

    http://www.bobs-bicycles.com/index.c...84&product=164

    The 2004 KHS FR 2000 is a good bike for the price too. I've ridden the exact same one being sold on bobs. I was impressed. It at least comes with a good fork, unlike most of the other cheaper FR bikes.

  19. #19
    my girl rides also
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    650

    yeah.....

    Quote Originally Posted by mr plow
    I found one!
    It's the Honda HR265FS and it goes for less than $500!!!!
    Now you too can be like Greg Minnaar for about a million dollars less!!!!!!!

    .....even Minnar's bike has that kick-ass kickstand that hangs off the rear dropout.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    there is no REAL "freeride" bike that sells for $500. or $1000. and $1500 is a HUGE stretch.

    if $500 is your limit, get a BMX.

    or a used hardtail from someone you know and trust who is generous with the selling price!
    As I see it he is trying to get into freeriding. Currently he has no need for a bike that costs $1000+.

    here is a cheap bike (not really freeride) but it will still take anything that a begening rider will be able to throw at it.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation: gonzostrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,257
    oh I see...

    how do you "get into" freeriding? do you first have to look like a "freerider"?

    I don't think you morons know "freeriding" from "couch surfing"

    MicroChuck refers to pieces of shyte that would collapse under a Nelson BC cross-country ride, let alone serious FR.

    you clowns are stuffers. poseurs. wannabes.

    don't forget, you can't use your current helmet gloves shorts ets. you have to get "freeride" ones.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MicroHuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by piotrek91
    As I see it he is trying to get into freeriding. Currently he has no need for a bike that costs $1000+.

    here is a cheap bike (not really freeride) but it will still take anything that a begening rider will be able to throw at it.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    That's the ticket right there! Good deal.

    Fork and frame are plenty strong for a newbie freerider. Has disc brakes too. You won't find a more Freeridable $500 bike than that.

    You can upgrade to a larger better fork later on. The DJ fork is pretty strong but doesn't have ideal amount of travel and damping control.

    Still a killer deal though, I would swoop that sucker up if it fits you. Smaller HT frames are better for FR anyways.

    That bike gets pretty good reviews on MTBR.

    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride...t_123289.shtml

    It's an awesome bike to build on for $500. Look around at online retailers, some are selling brand new ones for around $530.
    Last edited by MicroHuck; 04-28-2005 at 01:05 PM.

  23. #23
    Youngbuck
    Reputation: CanadianHooligan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    766
    There are plenty of bikes that will be capable for FR that dont cost 2000 g's. And if hes buying a bike for 500 bucks hes probably not doing gnar core Free riding. P series bikes(not the p.3 unless u get a good used deal) will be great. I also think the STP would be good.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

  24. #24
    Kn3wB1e
    Reputation: MaximusNukeage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    57
    Would a Kona shred really be a better VALUE that a trek Bruiser 1 or opie??

  25. #25
    Chinky on a Stinky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusNukeage
    Would a Kona shred really be a better VALUE that a trek Bruiser 1 or opie??
    yea, for u at least
    Straight outta Compton..............

    Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

    DREAM THEATER

  26. #26
    Kn3wB1e
    Reputation: MaximusNukeage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    yea, for u at least
    ok, what specifically makes it better. what functionality do i lose with the Trek?
    P.S. could the shred & Bruiser be used for trails on the weekends?

  27. #27
    Chinky on a Stinky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusNukeage
    ok, what specifically makes it better. what functionality do i lose with the Trek?
    P.S. could the shred & Bruiser be used for trails on the weekends?
    well the dirt jam probably is much better than the insync crap

    disk brakes on shred give u more stoppage than v-brakes

    i puke when i see tripple rings on a "fr" bike, dont know bout u though

    the shred just has better components. i think ur better off pullin out the extra two hundred or so for a bike with components that can take a good thrashin and were meant for freeriders on a budjet over a bike that is speced like a commuter but has a dj/fr frame

    ull probably end up savin money cuz of less broken parts on the kona

    funtionality wise, u wont lose much but the kona is, once again, speced better for the things ull do

    and as far as trails go, either bike could do it but both forks probably wont like it much. the dirt jam has crappy internals (still better than insyncs) thatll pack up in rough sections but thats no prob, that sort of thing never seemed to bother me
    Straight outta Compton..............

    Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

    DREAM THEATER

  28. #28
    Kn3wB1e
    Reputation: MaximusNukeage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    well the dirt jam probably is much better than the insync crap

    disk brakes on shred give u more stoppage than v-brakes

    i puke when i see tripple rings on a "fr" bike, dont know bout u though

    the shred just has better components. i think ur better off pullin out the extra two hundred or so for a bike with components that can take a good thrashin and were meant for freeriders on a budjet over a bike that is speced like a commuter but has a dj/fr frame

    ull probably end up savin money cuz of less broken parts on the kona

    funtionality wise, u wont lose much but the kona is, once again, speced better for the things ull do

    and as far as trails go, either bike could do it but both forks probably wont like it much. the dirt jam has crappy internals (still better than insyncs) thatll pack up in rough sections but thats no prob, that sort of thing never seemed to bother me
    so the shred dosent have 24 speeds?

Similar Threads

  1. Long-travel forks for freeride: air vs. coil?....
    By Waspinator in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 07:03 PM
  2. FALLS CITY, Blackrock Freeride Association
    By JerryBoneJr in forum Oregon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 02:48 PM
  3. trailbike or freeride for me?? (lengthy, but need advice)
    By wildman in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 08:56 PM
  4. $500 bike
    By big_slacker in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 07:12 PM
  5. Paging AZSF4 peeps: Freeride or no Freeride
    By Mellow Yellow in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 05:59 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.