Best freeride hardtail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Best freeride hardtail?

Still searching for a new ride.. maybe a hardtail will serve me well... I'm a 125lb rider, 5'8", and like to ride everything. Race dh, race xc, freeride, urban, whatever kind of riding there is. Ive been riding a k2 disco monkey, and am looking to upgrade. hardtails are a lot of fun, and cheaper than full suspension. What do you all reccomend? general prices would also help.. thanks in advance!

brooklyn bike rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2bikeman498
    Still searching for a new ride.. maybe a hardtail will serve me well... I'm a 125lb rider, 5'8", and like to ride everything. Race dh, race xc, freeride, urban, whatever kind of riding there is. Ive been riding a k2 disco monkey, and am looking to upgrade. hardtails are a lot of fun, and cheaper than full suspension. What do you all reccomend? general prices would also help.. thanks in advance!
    if i were on the market for a (new) freeride hardtail,
    i'd be looking at
    -aluminum
    -evil imperial
    -sinister ridge
    -steel
    -brooklyn park bike (what i have right now)
    -endless lifetime
    -balfa minuteman
    those are all around $700 usd.
    do you plan to build one up custom?
    or a complete bike?
    cause kona, specialized, and norco hardtails are dope.
    endless and sinister also offer complete built bikes as well.
    have fun.

-nate

ps: this is mine.
    i'm 5'6", about 125 lbs.
    it's NICE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hardtails are great!!

There is alot of good stuff out there. My preference is steel and I have two Surly Instigators. It's a nice frame that can be had new for under $400 and is readily available. Happy hunting!!
    Shane

mtbr member

My DeKerf Implant...

This is my 2001 DeKerf Implant. Simply a super rippin freeride hardtail frame. The frame style is a bit big for street and DJ, but perfect for super technical trails (what's it's designed for).

I'm not sure on availability, but I noticed that the DeKerf site still lists the Implant. Frame price is about $1350 CDN, so they are NOT cheap. However, the welding and craftsmanship are stunning.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Doesnt ride Banshees

Id posted this pic before and ill keep posting it everytime someone asks about a hardtail. Its an amazing bike. It sounds perfect for what you do. The banshee morphine is pretty much as tuff as they come, I rode DH alot this summer with this bike and done alot of freeriding on it as well. But ive done just as much XC on it as DH/FR combined. It has the perfect geometry for everything you want to do. I went on a number of 20+ mile XC rides and it was great. Its a pretty versitile frame, you can put up to an 8in DC fork on it and put 24" rims on it. The first guy recommended a number of good frames but out of that bunch id drop considering an evil imperiel, its a great frame and its tuff as hell but if you want to go out and go on a pretty good XC ride that frame isnt going to make things much fun. It has an incredibly slack geometry, ive ridden one and i found myself standing up the whole i rode it..The banshee morphine will be an excellent all around choice. It goes for about 600 for the frame, it has a 10 year warentee, the head tube alone has a 10year warentee against ovalization. The guys are banshee are great, they'll treat you good. give em a call or check out their website at www.bansheebikes.com.

brooklyn bike rider
    Jan 2004
    woops.
    banshee rider is right,
    none of the frames i listed would do you any good for xc riding.
    except for maybe the sinister ridge.
    that could do anything you wanted it to in my opinion.
    the banshee morphine is good,
    but i'd recommend the banshee scirocco over the morphine for you.
    anyways,
    just check those out i guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

thanks all,

thats for replying all... sweet rides BTW. how heavy is the morphine frame? its sick... and i'm looking for a complete bike. has anyone seen the new Marin "agressive xc" bikes? the rocky rim looks ok... like a rocky mountain Flow.. which also seems nice... the sinister ridge is crazy sick.. how much do those cost complete? thanks all! yea the banshee sicrocco is also sweet as hell.. looks like just what i need. Does anyone have any pics of theirs?

9 Lives Baby!

Nice Frame

Nice bike, but how much does it weigh?

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Are you ladies sittin down? she weighs in right about 45lbs, i just put on a sherman firefly and some smaller michelin tires and dropped 7lbs, shes down to about 38 right now. I have a deemax (in the pic) that im goin to put back on (runnin a mag 30 right now) and im gonna run stans no tubes, it should save me a minimum of 4lbs since the tubeless conversion is light and the deemax is light. But to be totally honest 38lbs feels very comfortable to me for fast rippin single track. I believe the banshee morphine frame weights in at like 7-8lbs. you really could build the bike light if you wanted. But then again i consider 30-35 lbs light. Another frame you could consider is the Banshee scirroco. I got a chance to take home my friends scirroco for a couple weeks while i was selling and rode the **** out of. I took it on XC rides almost every night i had it. Its not only alot lighter than the morphine but it can still handle a 7in DC fork. But i feel more comfortable with a beefier frame such as the morphine. I saw you were lookin at buying a RM flow, ive checked out that bike in person and it looked like it has some nice geometry to it. I dont know if it can handle a bigger fork tho. I really think your making a good choice with going with a hardtail. I sold my FS and got the morphine and this whole past year all ive ridden was a hardtail. Ive noticed alot of improvement in my riding skill. Hardtails just demand the rider to be more smooth and in the long run its a big help. I just got another FS that im workin on building and i think that spending all that time on a hardtail is going to pay off. good luck and be sure to keep us posted on what you get.