mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Best Dropper for Slack Seat Tube Angle (STA)?

Hola,
    I couldn't find anything regarding this issue, so here goes a new thread:
    My 2015 Trek Slash 8 has a STA of 66.5 which is pretty slack. More slack than most other bikes in it's category, but probably less slack than a true DH bike, which is why I'm posting in here.
    What is the best long dropper post, 170mm+, for a bike with that kind of STA? The bike came stock with a 125mm reverb stealth, and it worked fine. No issues at all other than the thing didn't provide enough travel. I bought and installed a new reverb stealth B1 170mm dropper and have been having binding issues since the install. I've backed off the torque on the collar all the way down to just over 4 N*m and it's still binding when I push down on it; max torque rating is 6.7 N*m on the collar.
    I was told by the shop that sold it to me that my bike is the problem, not the post, therefore it's not a warranty worthy issue. That's BS, because the 125mm worked fine and the 170mm binds throughout its entire length. Anyway, I'm looking into getting a 9.8 Fall Line 175mm dropper, but am now wondering if I'm going to run into the same binding issue due to my slack STA. I was looking at the Fall Line because they sound really durable. Should I just return the reverb B1 and buy another and see how it goes? (after me hounding the shop about the issue they agreed to refund me for the post if I bring it back in)
    Does anyone have any experience with these issues or any insight into which dropper may be best for me?
    Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Have you tried changing the angle of the seat a degree or two and see if that helps at all?
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Have you tried changing the angle of the seat a degree or two and see if that helps at all?
    It makes no difference. The post is pretty funky. I returned it to the shop for a refund. They were all shady and didn't want to do a warranty claim, at first, then asked me if I wanted to do a warranty claim when I brought it in for my refund. No thx, gimme my $. Sram got back to me and basically said take it to my LBS and they can troubleshoot it. I think I'm done with Reverbs for now.

mtbr member
    That's not a slack sta at all. They originally were designed by Maverick bikes and called the Speed Ball or something G like that. Their Sta's were like 50* or something, lol! Go back to the original or try KS. I've ran my old one for 7 years w/one rebuild in the middle. My new Lev feels great too.
    Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Sum it up

Just to update my thread:
    I went ahead and bought a 9point8 Fall Line 175mm dropper. It fits nicely. It's longer than the Reverb 170mm but inserts into my frame further because it doesn't have that funky hose extension at the bottom of the lower leg like the Reverb does; so that gives me some extra adjust-ability for every day riding and park riding. It also works great, though I've only put about 2.5 miles on it so far. But no binding; buttery smooth action throughout the stroke. Very simple install too. I've always liked cable actuated posts better than hydraulic.
    Anyway, thanks guys for posting and sharing your opinions on the matter. I hope this thread is helpful for others.
    Peace