Best Downhill Rim- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    NWchumba
    Guest

    Best Downhill Rim

    I know there is a thread like this somewhere, I just can't find it. I need your help choosing the perfect DH rim for my new setup. I just got a brand new pair of CK 12x150 and 20mm hubs. I need a rim which is reasonably light and strong. Light AND strong. Price is no object. What do you think of:

    Sun Ringle ADD Lite (29mm) or 31mm or 33mm
    Mavic 823 (UST)
    729
    721
    DT Swiss 6.1D
    DT Swiss 5.1D

    I prefer to not have it be UST, because I already have non UST Maxxis tires, unless of course I can put a non-UST tire to a UST rim.


    Whatever just pick what you think is cool. I like white rims.

  2. #2
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,746
    I used search and I found this. (A thread titled "Best downhill rim" )

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...79272#poststop

    If I was you and money is no object; powerdercoat some 823's white.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    19
    If money's no object you can also buy new tires. Then you can send the old ones to me.

  4. #4
    Look at the time!
    Reputation: lelebebbel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,138
    you can put non UST tires on a UST rim no problem. Light and strong? Get some 721s, or if planing to go UST some time, 823s
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

  5. #5
    NWchumba
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    I used search and I found this. (A thread titled "Best downhill rim" )
    Don't worry that thread it just as useless as this one.

    I want someone to say something about MTX/ADD's. I know the old width was 33mm, do the narrower rim choices change anything?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by NWchumba
    I know there is a thread like this somewhere, I just can't find it. I need your help choosing the perfect DH rim for my new setup. I just got a brand new pair of CK 12x150 and 20mm hubs. I need a rim which is reasonably light and strong. Light AND strong. Price is no object. What do you think of:

    Sun Ringle ADD Lite (29mm) or 31mm or 33mm
    Mavic 823 (UST)
    729
    721
    DT Swiss 6.1D
    DT Swiss 5.1D

    I prefer to not have it be UST, because I already have non UST Maxxis tires, unless of course I can put a non-UST tire to a UST rim.


    Whatever just pick what you think is cool. I like white rims.
    MTX 33 - I'm really starting to like this rim. Reasonable weight (under 700 gm), good internal width 25mm, and good strength. Our top level JrX (faster than most Pros) racer is having very good luck with these this season and he went through boxes of other rims last year. Sets up ghetto tubeless good, but you need to shim the interal circumference of the rim with a couple layers of velox.
    823 - If you want a tubelss specific DH rim then this is your choice. If you don't need a tubeless rim then the 823 is heavy for it's width.
    729 - A great choice if you run big tires like Maxxis 2.7, Mich 2.8 or even a Kend 2.5 (Kendas run big). It's a bit heavy but it keeps larger tires a bit more square (top of tire) so they corner better. I love this rim with a Maxxis 2.5 in really loose conditions. Also sets up ghetto tubelss very well.
    721 - A very strong rim for only 600gm, but for me is too narrow use on the front of a DH bike if you ride in dry loose or use bigger than a smallish Maxxis 2.5. Does not setup ghetto tubeless well.
    6.1 - This rim has issues. The orginal was very very soft (dented way too easy) and the replacement is so oversized that DH tires are very hard to install and often have to be cut to get off.
    5.1 - As light and narrow as the 721, but not as strong. It is bit more dent resistant than the 6.1. Some top WC racers use these, but they use lots of them.

    By the way we have MTX 33s on sale at Go-ride.com for $40 including white!

    EDIT: I've been having trouble with the MTX and tubeless. It seems some setup first try and others just don't. At this time I would not recommend this rim for a tubeless conversion.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-25-2008 at 03:38 AM.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,595
    Go 823 and tubeless with Michelin DH16/24.1 tires and never look back.

  8. #8
    NWchumba
    Guest

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    MTX 33 - I'm really starting to like this rim. Reasonable weight (under 700 gm), good internal width 25mm, and good strength. Our top level JrX (faster than most Pros) racer is having very good luck with these this season and he went through boxes of other rims last year. Sets up ghetto tubeless good, but you need to shim the interal circumference of the rim with a couple layers of velox.
    823 - If you want a tubelss specific DH rim then this is your choice. If you don't need a tubeless rim then the 823 is heavy for it's width.
    729 - A great choice if you run big tires like Maxxis 2.7, Mich 2.8 or even a Kend 2.5 (Kendas run big). It's a bit heavy but it keeps larger tires a bit more square (top of tire) so they corner better. I love this rim with a Maxxis 2.5 in really loose conditions. Also sets up ghetto tubelss very well.
    721 - A very strong rim for only 600gm, but for me is too narrow use on the front of a DH bike if you ride in dry loose or use bigger than a smallish Maxxis 2.5. Does not setup ghetto tubeless well.
    6.1 - This rim has issues. The orginal was very very soft (dented way too easy) and the replacement is so oversized that DH tires are very hard to install and often have to be cut to get off.
    5.1 - As light and narrow as the 721, but not as strong. It is bit more dent resistant than the 6.1. Some top WC racers use these, but they use lots of them.

    By the way we have MTX 33s on sale at Go-ride.com for $40 including white!
    Thanks Scott I like you're review and I appreciate the balance of qualities of the MTX.

    I think I'll go for some, but I work at the LBS so I'll just give Sun-Ringle a call on tuesday.


    Oh yeah just got my ano green Chris King hubs!

  9. #9
    the UPhill machine
    Reputation: theshore_KING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    58
    I personally think that Industry Nines are the best, though if that's too expensive or u just dont want a whole damn 1000 dollar wheelset on ur hands, i would opt for Syncros DPS23 or Mavic EX728s or 721s (which u can get in white, i think). What ever you do DONT GET ALEX RIMS!!! Sun singletrakcs or ADDs are also another good option to check out, if you want. But really, it's up to you cus, you can get a super light or super strong rim, but I haven't seen or heard of one that's both (if there was a super light and super strong DH rim, I'd be in!!).

    Hope this helps,
    - KING of the SHORE

    http://www.yuwie.com/r/10245

  10. #10
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,952
    Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    Go 823 and tubeless with Michelin DH16/24.1 tires and never look back.

    been running this for 6 years....I would never change...it is nice when you are at resorts riding while others have pinched flat.....

    I have had 2 flats in 6 years....(dented side of rim after landing on pointed rock and it didn't seal.....and then that rim ripped sidewall of tire for second flat....so really one flat which was unavoidable)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  11. #11
    SamIAm
    Reputation: SamL3227's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,038
    i am getting 721s but those mtx sound good too
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LarryFahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,142
    I got rid of my MTX's and went back to WTB Laser Disc DH's. They're supposed to be a couple G's lighter, but the important thing is my old ones never dented! My rear MTX had around 20 or so dents and bends in the rim. After every day of riding I'd check the rear rim to count the dammage. I used the same tires and same preassure as years past. I personally wouldn't recommend those rims if you ride on rough, East Coast style courses. Check the reveiws on here... Ttyl, Fahn

    PS Use the search function... Here's the same exact post. Click on it. It's pretty informative. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415521
    Hubbard Bike Club

  13. #13
    The Beaver
    Reputation: Mwehahaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Here's the same exact post. Click on it. It's pretty informative. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415521
    your funny
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott@GO-RIDE.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    I got rid of my MTX's and went back to WTB Laser Disc DH's. They're supposed to be a couple G's lighter, but the important thing is my old ones never dented! My rear MTX had around 20 or so dents and bends in the rim. After every day of riding I'd check the rear rim to count the dammage. I used the same tires and same preassure as years past. I personally wouldn't recommend those rims if you ride on rough, East Coast style courses. Check the reveiws on here... Ttyl, Fahn

    PS Use the search function... Here's the same exact post. Click on it. It's pretty informative. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415521
    That's the exact opposite results we've had with the Laswer Disc rims. They are the softest rim we've ever tested and dent just as easy as the DT 6.1. I believe both of those rims are made by Alex which is notorious for making soft rims. Where we ride in northern UT it is both high speed and rocky so we give a rim a pretty good workout too.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LarryFahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,142
    Well if these rims are weaker than they were 2-3 years ago I'll probably be changing to Mavics. Thanks for the heads up. I've owned several WTB's and they always seemed more reliable than the several Suns I've owned. In general, does this stand true? Mavics, I've just never bothered investing. Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

  16. #16
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    That's the exact opposite results we've had with the Laswer Disc rims. They are the softest rim we've ever tested and dent just as easy as the DT 6.1. I believe both of those rims are made by Alex which is notorious for making soft rims. Where we ride in northern UT it is both high speed and rocky so we give a rim a pretty good workout too.
    I agree. I had Laser Discs on my Cuervo and a 3-day weekend at Whistler DESTROYED them! Super ding-o-rama... I brought some 823's the next year, and the year after that... No worries with that set-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  17. #17
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,822
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    That's the exact opposite results we've had with the Laswer Disc rims. They are the softest rim we've ever tested and dent just as easy as the DT 6.1. I believe both of those rims are made by Alex which is notorious for making soft rims. Where we ride in northern UT it is both high speed and rocky so we give a rim a pretty good workout too.

    Alex Supra D are the $hit... Best part is they come laced to hubs for about $230. I don't know why I'd want to pay big $$ for wheelsets when Azonic Outlaws seem to get the job done. Maybe the hubs aren't blingy, but they seem to hold up just as good as any other high $$ hub, and they are smooth, quiet, and have no bearing drag. Sure, DT440s Hadleys, Kings or I9s would be nice, but I can buy 2 entire wheelsets for the price of a set of those hubs.

  18. #18
    My arm hurts a little
    Reputation: #1ORBUST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,471
    Bump...

    How come all the tech info on this site is 2008?

    Anyways what's the new steeze on RIMs? Have the mtx33 but looking for a tad lighter. Tech on rims must have advanced yes?

    What is out there sub 600G and can take a lick and for $100
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    999
    I just bought a pair of WTB Frequency i25's in 26". 490 grams each, 25 mm internal. Use WTB's TCS tubeless system, so UST compatible (or whatever). Cost ~$65 a rim shipped from CRC.
    Stans Flow EX have similar specs (490 g / 25.5 mm internal IIRC) but cost more (~$110 ea).

    Obviously strength/weight tradeoffs apply, but I've seen a lot of pics of DH bikes with Flows. If you need stronger and can pay a bit more (~$200 ea shipped?) then there is carbon (Light-bicycle, etc.)

  20. #20
    My arm hurts a little
    Reputation: #1ORBUST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,471
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    I just bought a pair of WTB Frequency i25's in 26". 490 grams each, 25 mm internal. Use WTB's TCS tubeless system, so UST compatible (or whatever). Cost ~$65 a rim shipped from CRC.
    Stans Flow EX have similar specs (490 g / 25.5 mm internal IIRC) but cost more (~$110 ea).

    Obviously strength/weight tradeoffs apply, but I've seen a lot of pics of DH bikes with Flows. If you need stronger and can pay a bit more (~$200 ea shipped?) then there is carbon (Light-bicycle, etc.)
    Damn that's pretty light. I was looking at the halo vapors 413g but just seem liked I'd blow them up dh. Freedoms are 545g seems like a good trade.

    Those wtb's look pretty nice, too. Def want to go tubless
    Has Mavic done anything. The 823 is the exact rim I had 10+ years ago.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

  21. #21
    Perpetual Hack
    Reputation: mykel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,162
    Just picked up some WTB I25's (26) to build up this winter.
    Coming from DT 600's
    Keeping fingers crossed.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

    Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

  22. #22
    Brackish
    Reputation: carbuncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,855

    Best Downhill Rim

    I have had good experiences with Mavic 721s, had a set of 36h Hope Pro 2s laced up to 721s on my Dirtbag and they handled everything I threw at them at Whistler, on the Shore and all over Washington and Oregon.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Been running D321/EX729 since...1998?... I guess I went wide rims before they were a thing (~31mm internal width), albeit not as wide as those old school Sun Doublewide rims (~33mm internal width).
    They're a bit more expensive, but those Mavics are VERY worthy and easily tubeless'd via Stan's strips.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    883
    I have MTX-33 on my AM/trail bike and my DJ bike. The rear on the DJ is almost three years used, and still has no problems staying true.

    I had the MTX-33's built with straight gauge spokes for all wheels on both bikes.
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.